[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

what kind of dog do you have?

Liverlips

Right.

If the well trained shih tzu pulls a nutty and attacks me, I can strangle it or dispatch it in any number of ways. Not so much with a pit bull.

I don't "hate" pit bulls or any other dog for that matter. But they are inherently more dangerous than other dogs. Without question. Whether its the dog's "fault" or not. I'm almost amazed at how many people do not want to recognize this.

I have to agree here. It may be the owner but it is still inherently more dangerous. I myslef would never own a pit - I know I am not the world's best owner (not sure I would do everyhting 100% right to prevent a disaster) and would never want the issue of my dog going nuts on someone or something else - could not handle that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<===

3 German Wirehair Pointers that are all hunting dogs. They are suprisingly calm in the house despite having a huge drive and tons of energy. Of course, that could be because of the big hammer and getting put outside if they're not.

I have 2 Siberian Huskies (not mine in the pic. I'd post pics of mine, but I'm not at the home PC), who live with my folks. Fantastic dogs. Very loyal, very affectionate, great personalities. Just the right mix of playful and couch dog.

<===

3 German Wirehair Pointers that are all hunting dogs. They are suprisingly calm in the house despite having a huge drive and tons of energy. Of course, that could be because of the big hammer and getting put outside if they're not.

I had a German Shorthair Pointer for 12 years and she was a great dog. Very energetic and destructive as a pup. But she turned into a great house dog and as sweet and friendly of a dog as I've ever seen. I probably shot over a thousand quail with her. She was a great hunting buddy.

Dunkin is our Golden Retriever. Desperate for attention constantly! But he's the best dog ever. Doesn't play fetch worth a damn, but he's great. Especially with my son. Dunkin & Alex

Edited by BiggieFries

We have one dog, Phoebe. I found her roaming around at the beach down the street from me where someone had obviously abandoned her. We figure she is a pointer/terrier mix because of her shape, size & markings. To be perfectly honest I don't know if we could have ever found a more perfect dog for our family. Her temperament is very relaxed & laid back, but she also loves to play & run...fast as hell too. Her favorite game is hide & seek, but she's getting a little too good with that nose. :wacko: She came already house trained, extremely obedient, never jumps, loves company, loves to go on outings with the family, great with other people & kids and makes easy friends with other dogs. But best of all she absolutely loves my kids. Anywhere they are in the house or outside she has to be with them. They try to wrestle with her like I do & she just lays there. You can tell she understands that she can't play with them that way. I have seen her growl a few times, but only at aggressive dogs. But when we tell her it's ok & 'introduce' her she is fine. She will also bark at someone who comes to the door after dark, but won't if she recognizes who it is.

BTW, how do dogs do that? How does a dog know who is coming to the door without being able to see or smell them? How is it that even if my dog has been laying down in the seat of my truck for the whole ride, she knows when we are close to getting home & perks up?

Pembroke Welsh Corgi - crazy ass hyper troublemaker and I love her to death even if she is a turd.

Her nickname is Little Miss 70% because she's only good that portion of the day.

ETA: She's actually an awesome dog with tons of personality and is great around my kid.

Edited by twiley

Yellow lab - 9 years old - awesomest dog ever, she is a member of the family in all senses, great temperment, fantastic with the kids

Basset Hound - 1 year old - stubborn as all hell, still got some puppy in her that is fun to play with, very good with the kids

both female and neutered

I've got two mutts. One seems to be Chow/Catahoula. Catahoula is a Southern pig herding breed and she certainly has a habit of chasing our other dog, nipping at her back legs. Her coat is the most amazing coat I've ever seen on a dog. Literally like rabbit fur. The chow in her makes her more stand-offish than the other and, between our two dogs, she's certainly the more aggressive. That said, she's not all that big or strong. Also, she's far more affectionate than the other. More of a snuggler if you will. At least with us and those that she knows. She's also completely scared of thunder.

Our other appears to be hound/lab mix. 100% dog to the unfortunate extent that among her favorite hobbies is to roll in poop. We have parks around that are rural enough that we can let them run off leash and, at least once a week, she proudly comes running out of the woods with the back of her neck smeared with greenish brown feces of some wild animal. If there were any way to sit down at the bargaining table with her just once and work out a deal, there is no shortage of things I would offer up to get her to stop that. Other than that, she's as sweet as can be and more gentile and less aggresive than the other. Actually, she's docile to the extend that when the two of them run with other dogs, she always seems to be the one the rest pick on. Either that or she simply likes to get chased.

At any rate, they're great and well mannered dogs. We have company all the time and, after initially barking for a second, they just go back to their beds and just chill.

Oh and they're both about 5 years old and 50 lbs.

Edited by detlef

Australian Labradoodle, Callie. She's a great dog, and is happiest when playing fetch which came completely naturally to her. Was very easy to house train. Great temperament around all people and other dogs. Even though she is about 40 lbs now, she still thinks she is a lap dog. Which we don't mind.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

we have a few... take your pick:

Our dogies or here

This is Priscilla. She is the reason we started doing what we do. She was tied out to a pound bustin at the seams pregnant. We took her in and she had 9 pups the next day. We kept her.... everyone thinks she's the biggest beagle they ever seen (all 90 pounds).

Jack's mother died during birth. He had severe parvo, but managed to pull through after my wife stayed up with him for a week with an IV. He lived to be 3 and just recently passed away due to kidney failure. He was such a great and happy dog.

Jumbo was left at a pound with a grapefruit size lump on her belly. Her owner did not want to pay the vet to have her examined, so just dumped her. We took her in and found it was just a hernia. Her favorite thing is to lay by my side and get bellyrubs.

This is Foxy. He cannot see anymore, but it doesnt phase him. He is the happiest dog I know- always running around wanting to play or a bellyrub. It is amazing how injuries effect dogs so much different than people...

Edited by dug

We have two boxers, a 4 year old female, and a 10 month old male.

Lulu the female is one of the best dogs I've ever owned. She is not a great example of the breed as she is shorter than your typical boxer and a little bit heavier than she should be. She is a great dog. All she wants it to be petted. I'll be laying on the couch watching the game, and she will come up beside me sticking her nose under my arm, telling me it is time to pet her. She is a great watch dog, as she barks at anyone that comes near our house. The mail man will not deliver mail if we happen to have let her out when he comes by. But she is all bark. She is a sweetheart. She sleeps with my oldest daughter.

Duke JW is our male. He is one of the best looking boxers you will ever see. He is the perfect example of a boxer, except his ears are not clipped (neither are Lulu's). Duke is still a pup and a wild man. He stays outside during the day and is crated at night. We just sent him to a trainer to try to get him to act more like Lulu.

we have a few... take your pick:

Our dogies or here

This is Priscilla. She is the reason we started doing what we do. She was tied out to a pound bustin at the seams pregnant. We took her in and she had 9 pups the next day. We kept her.... everyone thinks she's the biggest beagle they ever seen (all 90 pounds).

Jack's mother died during birth. He had severe parvo, but managed to pull through after my wife stayed up with him for a week with an IV. He lived to be 3 and just recently passed away due to kidney failure. He was such a great and happy dog.

Jumbo was left at a pound with a grapefruit size lump on her belly. Her owner did not want to pay the vet to have her examined, so just dumped her. We took her in and found it was just a hernia. Her favorite thing is to lay by my side and get bellyrubs.

This is Foxy. He cannot see anymore, but it doesnt phase him. He is the happiest dog I know- always running around wanting to play or a bellyrub. It is amazing how injuries effect dogs so much different than people...

Wow, it's hard to imagine that you're anything but a very kind person. I suppose it's odd to call dogs that have gone through what some of these guys have as "lucky", but they're sure lucky you all came around. :wacko:

I've got a 4 year old Chocolate lab named Pinot. Nothing better than putting "no" in a dog's name to give it issues.

She's a good dog. Was definitely a handful until she hit about 3.5. Now she just follows me around hoping that tonight will be steak tonight.

Good lookin' dog! We had the same problem with Polly (sounds like "potty") so the wife cooked up calling going outside to potty going "pah-TEE". :wacko:

Our lab's a handful too and if she stays on that schedule, well them I'm about halfway there. :D

I've got a 6 year old female black lab (Loosie) than needs Prozac. She's a field trial dog that's just wired to the hilt. If she's not retrieving, she's whining. Obviously, she's very high maintenance, but I don't have the heart to get rid of her. She's very well trained - works both whistle and hand signals. She'll run birds until she can't physically move any more.

My other dog is a 3-year old redbone hound. Gunnar is just about the coolest dog ever, even though he's largely worthless. He doesn't mind worth a damn - hounds are very independent. He welcomes me home with a loud bay every day. He loves our family and laps up attention like cool water on a hot day. He's that quintessential long-eared hound lying on the shady front porch. He's somewhat of a horse, he rests his chin on the kitchen counter while I'm cooking and patiently waits for a treat. He can barely catch something if I throw it where the lab does unnecessary flips to grab her share. :D He's got a great nose and likes to hunt, but he's not much of a fighter. I likes to kill cats, but will rarely tangle with a raccoon anymore - too much fight in them for him, I guess. Gunnar vocally argues with my wife - it's :wacko: funny.

I was greatly saddened this week to learn that my brother lost his golden retriever to cancer. :D Molly was eight and a great friend to my brother. She was an elegant lady even when covered in mud chasing pheasants.

Edited by Jimmy Neutron