[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Today's pet peeve

AtomicCEO

I've been on a hair trigger recently, and one of my targets is people who answer one part of a two part question, or reply with a single word when it is totally inadequate to answer the question. I've taken to just copying and pasting the unanswered part of the email into a response word for word.

Actual Real Life Examples, not made up:

Q. What date do you need this, and who should I coordinate with?

A. We need it next Wednesday.

Q. Can you set up this application on that computer and configure it exactly like this?

A. No problem, how do you want me to configure it?

Q. We can either use method A or method B to complete this for you depending on your priorities.

A. Sounds Good.

Q. We haven't been able to do this work because we didn't get an invoice. What should we do?

A. Yes.

No kidding, that last one sent me off on a tear to kill.

Right there with ya bro, I can't stand this either. Unfortunately my wife odes it the most since she is the one I speak with the most through email during the day....drives me crazy too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One that happens: There is a supervisor with something specific in mind, but he asks me for some in rather vague terms. When I ask for clarification or more specifically what he is looking for, he just repeats the same vague request. :wacko:

i think it works if you use BCC

let me go check

edit: nope BCC doesn't work either

When I said "I don't think that will work", it was me trying to be nice and refrain from making a "typical IT guy" correction of misinformation that users give.

Email comes with a "reply to" address, which is not necessarily the same as the source address. The only way to reply to an address other than or in addition to this address is to add other addresses in, which is what the "reply all" button essentially does.

I've been on a hair trigger recently, and one of my targets is people who answer one part of a two part question, or reply with a single word when it is totally inadequate to answer the question. I've taken to just copying and pasting the unanswered part of the email into a response word for word.

Actual Real Life Examples, not made up:

Q. What date do you need this, and who should I coordinate with?

A. We need it next Wednesday.

Q. Can you set up this application on that computer and configure it exactly like this?

A. No problem, how do you want me to configure it?

Q. We can either use method A or method B to complete this for you depending on your priorities.

A. Sounds Good.

Q. We haven't been able to do this work because we didn't get an invoice. What should we do?

A. Yes.

No kidding, that last one sent me off on a tear to kill.

is there any possibility that they are all conspiring to pwn you? you post so many threads like this, I'm starting to picture you as a dwight schrute figure in your office. either that or you truly work with a bunch of freaking morans.

I debated starting a thread on this but figured it would be better just as a post in here

These "Ghost shows" and Ghost hunter type of shows are such a joke. My wife is big on the Chiller channel and these shows are on a lot. You never see or hear anything concrete. Its always 5 people scared and telling us how they feel presences and then we hear that Ghost detection device going off :wacko:

Listening to Mike Mayock's lisp on the NFL Network doing the scouting combine coverage. Like a 50 MPH wind, cuts right through me.

I debated starting a thread on this but figured it would be better just as a post in here

These "Ghost shows" and Ghost hunter type of shows are such a joke. My wife is big on the Chiller channel and these shows are on a lot. You never see or hear anything concrete. Its always 5 people scared and telling us how they feel presences and then we hear that Ghost detection device going off :wacko:

I hate those shows. It shocks me they have an audience.

Ok, no kidding, this is the complete email chain with this guy.

2/19

AC: I need you to set up a new phone number and have it ring the general support line and then me if nobody answers.

2/20

IT (copying the COO and CEO for some reason) : I have that number set up already. How do you want the calls routed?

AC (reply all for remainder): Is there a problem with setting it up the way I asked below? :wacko:

2/21

AC: You said you had the number set up already. What is the number, and is it configured?

2/24

AC: What is the number and is it configured? :D

2/25

IT: XXX-XXX-XXXX is the number. How should I set up the call routing? Should it ring everyone or just you?

The CEO and COO are copied on this whole deal! This is not the only case going on right now where he is being rude and stupid and incomplete in very visible ways. You've got to be the dumbest son of a bitch alive to be so dumb in a time when people everyone are looking for work. We can replace a cocky idiot IT guy with someone better at half his salary in less than a week if we need to.

Jane: A new and better life awaits you on our distant home planet, Blisstonia.

Homer Simpson: [gets given a leaflet] Hmm. Makes Sense.

Jane: We're having a free get-acquainted session at our resort this weekend.

Homer Simpson: How much is this free resort weekend?

Glen: It's free.

Homer Simpson: And when is this weekend?

Glen: It's this weekend.

Homer Simpson: Uh-huh. And how much does it cost?

Glen: Um, it's free.

Homer Simpson: I see. And when is it?

Glen: It's this weekend.

Homer Simpson: And what are you charging for this free weekend?

Bart Simpson: Come on, Dad. The team's arriving.

Homer Simpson: [being dragged away by Bart] It's free, right?

The CEO and COO are copied on this whole deal! This is not the only case going on right now where he is being rude and stupid and incomplete in very visible ways. You've got to be the dumbest son of a bitch alive to be so dumb in a time when people everyone are looking for work. We can replace a cocky idiot IT guy with someone better at half his salary in less than a week if we need to.

ahhh, feel the hate flowing through you. your transformation to the dark side (management) is almost complete. soon, you will be voting republican.

These "Ghost shows" and Ghost hunter type of shows are such a joke. My wife is big on the Chiller channel and these shows are on a lot. You never see or hear anything concrete. Its always 5 people scared and telling us how they feel presences and then we hear that Ghost detection device going off :D

Ghost Hunters is the only one worthwhile. I can't stand to watch any of the rest of them, including Ghost Hunters International. :wacko: