[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Neighborhood Hardware Store

nuke'em ttg

I've had an account with the same place for years and it keeps changin names but is always handy for certain things....yesterday the wife ripped on me when i walked in with a small fan ta move air to the sunroom and asked me what it cost.....19.99 ..... :D they have'em for 9 or 10 at walmart......hey if you wanna drive and walk a mile in Walmart knock yourself out i have a reciept....case closed :D I like supporting that joint and payin more......plus the dude rewinds my weedwhacker for nothin when i buy a replacement cause i can't ever get that somebeach on right :wacko:

the wonderful unions keep walmarts away from us. so its either ace, hd, or menards.

this place was never a Mom & Pop that went tits up long ago downtown but Started as a Coast to Coast & now is True Value but locally owned and always changin owners :wacko:

Mine just closed a couple months ago. I went for quick and easy stuff and didn't mind paying the +20% or so. However, I rarely bought anything over $10.

same here....filters/ nuts/bolts.....but afew years back instead of gettin 4 mollies i'd buy a box and did it with other hardware....weedwhacker was my biggest purchase 79.00 3 years ago

My High School job was at locally owned Biloxi Hardware & Marine Supply. Still one of the best places I've ever worked & for some of the best people. Sadly Katrina wiped the place clean off the slab (think HUGH warehouse type structure) & they decided not to rebuild since the boat yard across the street was not reopening. :wacko:

Up here in N GA we still have plenty of Ace Hardwares. The ones here are locally owned franchises. I love going there for a few reasons - 1) they will not let you get in the door without asking what you need and pointing you in that direction. 2) They send help over. What do those idiots at HD think the radio is for? (and my wife works at HD). 3) If they don't have it they WILL find and order it. 4) They have every chrome fastener known to man for a motorcycle. :celeb:

I should just hand in my man card when it comes to tools. Last night my neighbor helped me put up a swing set in my yard. It was his and he is getting a pool so they offered it to us. Big beautiful set. This neighbor is a very handy guy and he knows I am not. I was basically a laborer in the set up process. He brought over all these electric drills and rachet sets , sledgehammer the works. He had trouble getting one screw out and he asked me to go get my pliers for him

:wacko: Chris I need you to go get your pliers for me

Me :D

:D You dont have pliers ?

Edited by whomper

There's an Ace and another small chain in my town. When I needed a new sump pump, the small chain helped me out. They told me what to buy, how to install, and told me to come back if it didn't work. I paid a little more, but it was more convenient and more helpful than the big boxes in the next towns over.

I should just hand in my man card when it comes to tools. Last night my neighbor helped me put up a swing set in my yard. It was his and he is getting a pool so they offered it to us. Big beautiful set. This neighbor is a very handy guy and he knows I am not. I was basically a laborer in the set up process. He brought over all these electric drills and rachet sets , sledgehammer the works. He had trouble getting one screw out and he asked me to go get my pliers for him

:D

Edited by T_bone65

Whomp:Hey wadda i need pliers for i got lace ya f'n baboon

Lots of Ace Hardware stores here. I've had a lot of luck finding bolts and fasteners there that you just can't find at Home Depot or Menards. Any time I need to do a small home repair or need a tool for the yard, I go to one of those stores. I find what I'm looking for much quicker, and the service is a lot better.

One thing that amazes me, not only with HD & Lowe's, but also with Walmart & any other box store. With as much s**t as they have in those places, they never seem to have the item you are looking for when you need something specific.

Edited by rajncajn

I try to buy most of my supplies from Southern States instead of Lowes/Home Depot when I can. Those people are far smarter about their products than the Lowes/Home Depot people. I was just in Southern States yesterday after work (they are only open until 6 PM :wacko: ) looking for 20-20-20 for one of my Japanese Maple trees that I planted last year that isn't looking good at all. It's probably upset that I yell at it because I should've bought an American Maple tree, but the weird looking red irradiated leaves are purtier. I was looking for the bag of 20-20-20 fertilizer (like 10-10-10 I use on the lawn). Well, the lady at SS knew that 20-20-20 was Miracle Gro. I wonder if the Lowes/Home Depot would've known.

Edited by TimC

We still have three thriving local hardware stores / lumber yards withing 20 minutes of my office. Our company has accounts with two of the three. We do not have an account with any box stores. I've found the lumber from these stores to be 10X better than that from the box stores. The people that work in these stores are knowledgeable about just about everything in the store, and if the person you are talking to doesn't know about what you want to know, they know who in the store does, and will transfer you directly to them, or take down your name an number and have them call you back. I can call up the local stores, tell them what I need, have them price it out over the phone, and usually have it delivered within a few hours. The day we lose our local lumber yard / hardware stores will be the day we shut our doors, because while Lowes and Home Despot might be ok for dropping in and getting something every now and then, they don't have the quality or services that I require.

The only exception would be power tools. I don't buy power tools at hardware stores or box stores. We usually buy them direct.

We have one about 3 miles from my house. Its actually a fairly large store and offers a lot of services i.e. tool rental, screen repair, lumber, sand, etc. The srevice is usually real good but their prices are a little bit higher. I usually will not pass them by to go to Lowes or HD unless I need a lot of material, especially if I already quoted a price on the job because the extra material cost would eat into my profits.

We have one about 3 miles from my house. Its actually a fairly large store and offers a lot of services i.e. tool rental, screen repair, lumber, sand, etc. The srevice is usually real good but their prices are a little bit higher. I usually will not pass them by to go to Lowes or HD unless I need a lot of material, especially if I already quoted a price on the job because the extra material cost would eat into my profits.

Have you talked to them about this? I've found the local lumber guys usually a lot more willing to come down on the price of bulk lumber, where as the box stores have to pass everything though corporate. Not to mention the quality of the lumber at the local stores is usually so much better than that at the box stores, what you might save in lumber price, you probably lose in trying to make warped lumber work, or picking though a pile of warped lumber trying to find a true piece.

It might be slightly different here though, as we have a local saw mill that sales pine to the local stores but doesn't produce enough to get a box store contract. So due to very low shipping costs, the local guys here might be more competitive here than elsewhere. The saw mill is with 5 miles of one of the local stores and 25 from the farthest away.

Got an Ace Hardware couple blocks down the street. Can't walk in the door and go more then 10 feet without someone saying hello and offering to help you.

I can go into either one of the Menards here in town and walk around for half an hour and not have one employee even make eye contact with me.

this place was never a Mom & Pop that went tits up long ago downtown but Started as a Coast to Coast & now is True Value but locally owned and always changin owners :wacko:

Our True Value closed several years ago and all we have now is a locally owned lumber yard/hardware store/tool rental place. Service is great and they have all the unusual fittings/fasteners you could ever need. But I fear they are on borrowed time. Lowe's moved in down the road and they are less expensive on everything.

Our True Value closed several years ago and all we have now is a locally owned lumber yard/hardware store/tool rental place. Service is great and they have all the unusual fittings/fasteners you could ever need. But I fear they are on borrowed time. Lowe's moved in down the road and they are less expensive on everything.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I don't know any commercial contractors that use box stores on a regular basis, and I'd say over half the home builders I know don't. The local stores bread and butter is the contractor, not the guy that watches DIY Network and straps on a tool belt once a month. The old saying that time is money is very true in the construction industry, particularly on the commercial end where more and more contracts are starting to have liquidated damages clauses. The time that can be saved by working with knowledgeable people, and the quick delivery times make local stores much more attractive than box stores even if you have to pay a little bit more for some items.

Got an Ace Hardware couple blocks down the street. Can't walk in the door and go more then 10 feet without someone saying hello and offering to help you.

I can go into either one of the Menards here in town and walk around for half an hour and not have one employee even make eye contact with me.

The thing I hate about Menard's is there is never anyone at the door they tell you to go to. You always have to go hunt someone down to get loaded. I never go there for myself, just for work.

I try to buy most of my supplies from Southern States instead of Lowes/Home Depot when I can. Those people are far smarter about their products than the Lowes/Home Depot people. I was just in Southern States yesterday after work (they are only open until 6 PM :wacko: ) looking for 20-20-20 for one of my Japanese Maple trees that I planted last year that isn't looking good at all. It's probably upset that I yell at it because I should've bought an American Maple tree, but the weird looking red irradiated leaves are purtier. I was looking for the bag of 20-20-20 fertilizer (like 10-10-10 I use on the lawn). Well, the lady at SS knew that 20-20-20 was Miracle Gro. I wonder if the Lowes/Home Depot would've known.

Nope. Your inbred illiterate cousins can't read labels.