[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre on his way to MN to sign?

CaP'N GRuNGe

Had an old roommate call me this morning to give me poopy about Farve. He has family in Green Bay and has always been a Green Bay fan. We would get drunk and damn near come to fists when the Vikes and Packers played. I hated Farve then and I still don't necessarily like him. I know he will give our team a good chance to win. I will never be a sack hanger.

On a related note, I am in Bismarck this week and Mrs. Rebellab asked for a Farve jersey. I just got back from Scheel's where I paid $80 for a non-authentic jersey. :wacko: Gal at the register said they had only been in the store for an hour, lucky me. :D

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, this is a no lose situation for Vikings fans. Either Brett does well and leads the Vikings on a big run (and pisses the hell out of Packer fans) or he sucks and it's the last straw in running Childress out of town.

I fail to see any downside here. :wacko:

You don't see any downside? First off it is the Vikings so by rule I think you have to assume downside (4 SB losses, missed FG against Falcons, Cardinals knocking Vikes out of playoffs, Randy Moss driving downtown, boat trip Childress being hired, Childress not being fired, etc.).

How does this scenarios sound - Favre plays well 1st 2/3 of year sucks last 1/3 of year- that along with a favorable schedule Vikes win the Division and make it NFC champ game and they lose due to a stupid INT Favre throws. Now all the hope was there and failure happens again - not only that since Favre played decent for 2/3 he has thoughts that he can POSSIBLY play another year so he contemplates retiring/playing for 5 months.

Sounds very possible so yea I see no downside. :D

You don't see any downside? First off it is the Vikings so by rule I think you have to assume downside (4 SB losses, missed FG against Falcons, Cardinals knocking Vikes out of playoffs, Randy Moss driving downtown, boat trip Childress being hired, Childress not being fired, etc.).

How does this scenarios sound - Favre plays well 1st 2/3 of year sucks last 1/3 of year- that along with a favorable schedule Vikes win the Division and make it NFC champ game and they lose due to a stupid INT Favre throws. Now all the hope was there and failure happens again - not only that since Favre played decent for 2/3 he has thoughts that he can POSSIBLY play another year so he contemplates retiring/playing for 5 months.

Sounds very possible so yea I see no downside. :wacko:

Yep, and the playoff run means they miss out on the top QBs in next year's draft (unless they trade up) and Childress is less likely to get fired. Then whether Favre retires next year or not, he's not winning a Super Bowl, so he's basically wasting a lot of time and the Wilfs' money. It angers me to see a team this short-sighted and clueless, and I've never liked the Vikings.

Yep, and the playoff run means they miss out on the top QBs in next year's draft (unless they trade up) and Childress is less likely to get fired. Then whether Favre retires next year or not, he's not winning a Super Bowl, so he's basically wasting a lot of time and the Wilfs' money. It angers me to see a team this short-sighted and clueless, and I've never liked the Vikings.

Tavaris is not getting them any further. Why not gamble?

Tavaris is not getting them any further. Why not gamble?

Because for the small chance of winning it all (my opinion only) you are screwing next year and the year after. Vikings traded for Sage - give the guy a chance. The Packers could have welcomed Favre back and maybe he could have helped them win an extra game or two but Ted Thompson was smart enough to realize that Favre was not the guy he used to be and put his trust in a different QB and hopefully has built a better team for years to come.

Because for the small chance of winning it all (my opinion only) you are screwing next year and the year after. Vikings traded for Sage - give the guy a chance. The Packers could have welcomed Favre back and maybe he could have helped them win an extra game or two but Ted Thompson was smart enough to realize that Favre was not the guy he used to be and put his trust in a different QB and hopefully has built a better team for years to come.

Signing Favre does not preclude in any way being aggressive in next year's draft to land a franchise QB. And Sage Rosenfels has had his chances. You think that maybe just maybe there's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere? :wacko:

so, what you're saying is, the downside is you risk ruining sage rosenfels, a career back-up, by asking him to be a backup. sage rosenfels. umm....maybe it's just me, but that doesn't really seem like a hugh downside.

Your right...they should just stick with Sage and Tarvaris and hope to make the playoffs...its STUPID to try to win the Super Bowl...they should tank the next few years and get high draft picks so they will be awesome in the future... :wacko:

I think what your post really says is "I am a Packer fan who was jilted by Favre so I can't even begin to accept my old QB helping a rival win a Super Bowl or my head would explode...so I will just convince myself that this was a terrible move..."

Edited by alexgaddis

so, what you're saying is, the downside is you risk ruining sage rosenfels, a career back-up, by asking him to be a backup. sage rosenfels. umm....maybe it's just me, but that doesn't really seem like a hugh downside.

No, he is saying we should tank the season so we could get a high draft pick to take the next franchise QB, like Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, etc etc...

Your right...they should just stick with Sage and Tarvaris and hope to make the playoffs...its STUPID to try to win the Super Bowl...they should tank the next few years and get high draft picks so they will be awesome in the future... :wacko:

I think what your post really says is "I am a Packer fan who was jilted by Favre so I can't even begin to accept my old QB helping a rival win a Super Bowl or my head would explode...so I will just convince myself that this was a terrible move..."

Brett Favre is not going to win a Super Bowl. This is a desperation move to sell tickets this year, and we'll worry about 2010 and 2011 some other time. This organization couldn't find its own ass with both hands and a flashlight.

As a starter in Houston, Sage had a record of 6-4 in the 10 games he started. The one thing he will probably always be remembered for is the "fumblecopter" play against the Colts last year. Yes, it was a dumb play that cost them that game. That shouldn't be held against him otherwise the former Packer/Jet QB should never be allowed in the league.

In his career with the Texans he appeared in 19 games. A 65.5% completion percentage, 3,380 passing yards, 30 TD, 29 INT. At this point in time, I don't think the former Packer/Jet QB brings that much more to the table.

As for Sage having had chances, he played 2 games in Miami before he went to Houston. He played one game for a good Miami team that had Frerotte as QB. The next season he played 1 game for a very bad Miami team that had Jay "Ears" Fiedler and A.J. Feely as their predominant QBs. His first year in Houston he watched David Carr start all 16 games. He got into 4 games that year and had decent numbers at that time. Then Houston won the Matt Schaub sweepstakes (which the Vikes decided to not take the shot and instead go with Wile E.'s brianiac triumvrate of T-Jax, Bollinger, and Holcomb). They could have taken a shot at Schaub and passed.

In 2008, after going 4-1 as a starter in Houston, Sage was the QB the Vikes could have taken a shot with. Instead we went with proven career mediocrity in Gus Frerotte, and leaned on our defense. They could have taken a shot with Sage that year and passed.

This year, they sign the former Packer/Jet QB and it's called taking a shot? I call it a stab in the dark at this point. We'll never get to know now, but I think this team would have done just as well if not better with Sage than with the former Packer/Jet QB.

So, to sum all this rambling up, here are my points.

1. Sage was never really given a legitimate chance to be a #1 QB in the league. He was young while in Miami, and was playing second fiddle to the big contract guys in Houston.

2. The Vikings have blown plenty of chances to take that "shot" at a QB the last couple of years. Now that they get a QB that could provide them some stability for a few years and likely win quite a few games with the talent around him, they sign the former Packer/Jet QB and relegate Sage to second fiddle again. Once again, without really giving him a chance to compete head to head for the starting spot.

This organization's management continues to sicken me. I love this team, but what it needs is an owner who doesn't have his head up his ass and a head coach that accomplished more in his previous stint than being a glorified clipboard holder.

So, you're saying that the Vikings should plan for next year when they have a team now that can win it all? Isn't the goal of every franchise to win the Superbowl? And isn't there only a small chance (3.125%) of accomplishing that every season?

I guess I fail to see your logic.

There is a big difference between Sage/Jackson and A Rodgers. They need to draft a QB next early where they can groom him for a year or two. Our defense is not young, so I think they are in a position to make a run now instead of waiting two or three years or longer while they groom a QB

You have officially resigned as a Packers fan. Please leave your cheesehead and Brett Favre jersey at the door.

On second thought . . . those stains on the jersey look pretty gross . . . . you better keep that one . . .what hell hell is that white sticky stuff all over it? Gross . . .

As per the jersey ribs, and the hugger quotes, you guys can go date the same girls that McNair chose. TT could too, but he likes boys.

Now:

I've had the chance to look at this whole situation and re-read the articles (yes slower this time Wolf and ButtpirateNinja). It is really looking like Favre is 80% wrong in his Packer deal. I still believe, and always will, that TT was behind it and could have done more to avoid the way it all happened. Brett sure as hell should have done more too.

1. How can he retire from the Jets and not have some compensation? Wasn't he under a two year contract there? That is b.s. if he did that.

2. If he's got a partially torn cuff injury...what the heck where the Vikings thinking? This can't be good unless he's doing some sort of therapy on it. (Kinda looks like he may have had the injury earlier than last year. Maybe GB knew part of that.)

3. I don't respect Favre for pulling the Strahan deal of no training camp. He should have been there. Maybe take less reps or something, but at least be there. That's not being a leader. (I did hear that they pulled this to let the team practice without the attention. Either way, it was wrong IMHO.)

4. I don't think I'm going to buy a jersey. Not sure just yet.

Last year, I could rationalize this as being TT's fault and hoping Brett did well. Now, it's just starting to look like Brett is the spotlight chaser. Do I agree with it all? No. Would I like to see this come back to haunt TT and MM? Hell yes. Disagree with it, or not, I think this does make the VIkings a bit better than the chances they had with TJ and SR.

So, you're saying that the Vikings should plan for next year when they have a team now that can win it all? Isn't the goal of every franchise to win the Superbowl? And isn't there only a small chance (3.125%) of accomplishing that every season?

I guess I fail to see your logic.

Not really what I meant to say. I am saying that they got Sage for a reason and I am not convinced one bit that Favre is any better than Sage at this point in Favre's career. I am saying play Sage and see what you have and build your team with the future in mind as opposed to trying to take shots at winning it all for that one year - it has not worked for Washington for how many years - The Pack did not know what they really had in Rodgers but chose to go with him as opposed to Favre. Kerry Collins has been a career backup but last regular season was not to bad for Tennessee.

Yeah, I think he was quite the tool in that situation, but I think it went both ways and Packers management didn't exactly shine either. What I get a kick out of is the guy gives what was it, 16 years or something, to an organization and plays his heart out for them and now the so called real Packer fans are just as eager to throw him under the bus and what he did for that organization for all those years. Sports fans are so fickle.

Yep, the whole 16 years in GB was just Favre giving and the GB organization and fans taking. If only Favre had received over $100 million dollars in compensation, or some sort of undying affection akin to Jesus, or statewide support when tough times hit like a death in the family or illness or addiction, it might have been less of a burden for him to bear.

Yep, the whole 16 years in GB was just Favre giving and the GB organization and fans taking. If only Favre had received over $100 million dollars in compensation, or some sort of undying affection akin to Jesus, or statewide support when tough times hit like a death in the family or illness or addiction, it might have been less of a burden for him to bear.

He did bring about a lot of change to GB and the community. Check out the charities that he and his wife started.

Tell me that they could afford the Lambeau remodel if Lynn Dickey or Don Majik were still there?

Favre played a game of his life right after his dad died.

No, he didn't do anything for the organization, community, or fans.

Like it or not, he sells tickets.

No, he didn't do anything for the organization, community, or fans.

My point was not that he did NOTHING for the organization, community, or fans.

My point was that whatever he did he was RICHLY REWARDED both monetarily and (one would have thought) emotionally.

My take, just one more time so we're perfectly clear and then you can take your generalizations and kindly shove them up your ass:

As a Vikes fan of course I hated Brett Favre. When the initial rumors of him coming to Minnesota started BEFORE training camp, I thought it was worth a shot because, as we all know, the Vikes are a QB away from being a legitimate playoff team. I was not sold on the idea, never thought it was a sure thing, but thought there was a chance that he could get the job done. I base that on the fact that I am quite certain that Rosenfels and TJax suck. Again, can Favre do it? Not sure, but there's a chance, and it's a chance worth taking given the other option. That being said, I am not a fan of what the Vikings did now. They let Favre skip camp, told everyone that he wasn't coming, and then sign him anyway. IMO that makes the organization look like a bunch of momos, which Childress is without question. All that being said, I don't like what happened, I don't like Favre, but if this somehow works out and they win a SuperBowl I will, as perviously mentioned, fly to Minnesota and give Favre a hand job. I'm pretty sure it won't work which should cost Childress his job so technically this is a win-win situation. :D

Are we clear now? :D

:D:D:2cents:

Yep.

:wacko:

A conversation between Favre and Childress could go something like this . . .

By JIM SOUHAN - Star Tribune (Minneapolis)

It's Monday afternoon in Hattiesburg, Miss. A phone rings by what the Favre family likes to call the "cement pond." A manservant wearing a tuxedo T-shirt forwards the call to Brett Favre's gold-plated tractor phone.

Favre hears a gravelly voice say:

"Mr. Favre? May I call you Mr. Favre? It's Brad. Bald guy, trying to grow a beard just like yours? Mr. Favre, I've been calling you every day for two years, you should remember me by now. Yeah, it's 'Chili.' My first name is Brad.

"Anyway, Mr. Favre, I think our two-year plan has worked perfectly. Now it's time to make our move.

"We found a way for you to avoid going to training camp and sleeping in those cramped dorm rooms and practicing twice a day in that brutal Mankato heat. I know, living in Mississippi, you wouldn't be able to withstand that heat. And I know, after you built your own Presidential Suite near the Jets' locker room last year, that you didn't want to be put in a situation where you might have to meet your teammates.

"Now training camp is done, and you can finally move into that house you bought up here. Brilliant idea, buying Prince's place in Chanhassen. Who's going to notice another reclusive celebrity wearing purple in that neighborhood? Mr. Favre, I also liked your smoke screen, sending relatives up here to buy houses and condos all over town, just to throw people off. Brilliant. I could learn a lot from you. When I want to confuse somebody, I just talk in circles until their eyes glaze over.

"Yes, Mr. Favre, I know you're busy mowing the back 40, and I know the 'My Name is Earl' marathon is about to begin. I'll get to the point. It's time to bring you in. Anybody who didn't like the idea of signing you has had a few weeks to watch Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels. They have to be on board with this now. All we have to do is concoct the right story, so it won't look like we've been planning for this day ever since you left the Packers, even though we've been planning for this day ever since you left the Packers.

"Thank goodness you were such a pain in the butt in New York that the Jets traded up to get Mark Sanchez and then cut you loose. You played that just right.

"I also like your idea about having arm surgery so you wouldn't have to come to training camp. Wait, you're going to tell them what? That you still have a tear in your rotator cuff? Isn't that going overboard? OK, OK, you're the boss. Man, sounds like you want to win an Oscar as much as you want to win a Super Bowl.

"So we'll send Zygi Wilf's plane for you in the morning. Z-y-g-i. The one who looks like Groucho Marx. Yeah, that's the owner. No, don't worry, you won't have to talk to him, either. We'll just make him stand in the back at the press conference.

"We'll fly you up here in the morning, conduct our 'physical' - don't worry, we have a stunt double they can examine if you're not up for it - and then we'll hand you the blank check and get you on the practice field.

"Yes, the practice field. Please? Pretty please? Listen, I'm going to have a hard enough time with my veterans after letting you skip training camp. You've got to go out there and throw a few passes, just so I can pretend I'm still calling the shots. Thank you, Mr. Favre, I appreciate it.

"Listen, Mr. Favre, you're going to have to be sensitive to my predicament. I always tell the players that training camp is important, that details are important, that learning the playbook is important, that cohesiveness and protecting the ball and making smart decisions are all important. You're going to have to at least to pretend to care about all that, even if we both know you're going to be drawing up your own plays in the huddle and throwing into triple coverage whenever you darn well please.

"Also, we're going to have to do one of those awkward press conference things Tuesday. I'll get up there and act like you're just another guy - I know, I'll call you a "piece of the puzzle." You should dress down - maybe wear what you wear when you're throwing to those high school kids in Mississippi. That's right, the sweaty golf cap and cargo shorts. That way fans will think you're just like them, even though they can't make their mortgage payments and you could buy Kuwait.

"We'd like you to say that this isn't about getting revenge on the Packers - I know, Mr. Favre, but sometimes in this job we have to twist the truth until it looks like a salted pretzel. We would like you to mention your family. Maybe say that your daughter really wanted you to come back and win another Super Bowl. If you can throw in some tears - yours, hers, whatever - that would give the TV people a sound bite they'll play forever.

"And remember the story we agreed on two years ago: You really couldn't decide whether you wanted to play or not, and you kept working out and throwing at Oak Grove High because you just love working with kids. The TV people will eat that up, too.

"So remember your checklist: Sweaty ball cap, cargo shorts, beard, daughter, my first name is Brad, not about revenge, you're a team player. Most important, remember, I just called you the other day to see if I could change your mind, and you just so happened to be waiting by the tractor phone, ready to roll.

"I know, I know, it's really far-fetched, but you have to understand Minnesota. These people will believe just about anything. I mean, when I was hired, these fans thought I was a passing guru.

"You don't have to laugh that hard.

"Oh, and one more thing, Mr. Favre. Please, please, please, during the press conference, don't call me 'Chili.' People might get the wrong impression."

As per the jersey ribs, and the hugger quotes, you guys can go date the same girls that McNair chose. TT could too, but he likes boys.

Wow, so now you want us to die... And the part about little boys is Megan Foxbaggery on your part. Enjoy your short stay at the huddle. If your skin is this thin, you won't be here past September.