[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting a Blackberry Tomorrow

whomper

I am due for a phone upgrade so I am taking the plunge into blackberry land. My carrier is verizon. Any advice ? I dont need state of the art with a million bells and whistles. How does it usually work with your plan ? Do you get unlimited internet access ? My wife said it will add about 30 dollars a month to my bill but I am not sure what that includes. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am due for a phone upgrade so I am taking the plunge into blackberry land. My carrier is verizon. Any advice ? I dont need state of the art with a million bells and whistles. How does it usually work with your plan ? Do you get unlimited internet access ? My wife said it will add about 30 dollars a month to my bill but I am not sure what that includes. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Blackberry Curve. Perfect phone. You'll have to sign up for their "data package", which includes unlimited internet, texts and picture messaging. And the "Blackberry service", which includes the easier email set-up and Blackberry messenger. This means we can talk crap about T-Bone in real time if you'd like. I'll teach you how to set up and use Blackberry Messenger, which operates on some kind of different network (don't know the specifics) but is just like any other real time IM service.

Blackberry Curve. Perfect phone. You'll have to sign up for their "data package", which includes unlimited internet, texts and picture messaging. And the "Blackberry service", which includes the easier email set-up and Blackberry messenger. This means we can talk crap about T-Bone in real time if you'd like. I'll teach you how to set up and use Blackberry Messenger, which operates on some kind of different network (don't know the specifics) but is just like any other real time IM service.

Is it a big jump in price from a monthly regular cell phone plan ?

Is it a big jump in price from a monthly regular cell phone plan ?

Actually I am not that sure. I had a hugh plan and tied it to my broadband internet card thingie too. I just paid the damn bill.

Verizon's data plans are a ripoff. Do you have to go with Verizon?

But yeah, maybe they are a ripoff? I don't know.

I should probably change over and get on my wife's AT&T deal.

Blackberry Curve. Perfect phone. You'll have to sign up for their "data package", which includes unlimited internet, texts and picture messaging.

+1 on the Curve....great phone. I just upgraded from the Balckberry World Phone.....cost me $99.

Edit: it does not include unlimited texting. texting is separate from the data plan. Data plan for me is $44.95.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Black Berry Curve is awesome, I have 1 for work. The service plan with verizon is an additional $30 a month and that is so you can get your email directly to your phone. I have all the text stuff turned off since it is a work phone, but I love the curve.

You and I can still talk behinds Darins back via regular texting as well :wacko:

Edited by T_bone65

Batery life depends on how much talking you do. I can get through a full day easy without recharging (Blackberry curve), and that includes a lot of texting/IM and internet usage, not neccesarily a lot of voice time though. Probably can go a couple days without charging, basically most of my weekends.

I generally charge on the drive to work and the drive home, but, with a minimum 45 minute commute, often over an hour, it gives the phone plenty of time to charge.

My office is offering to get me a blackberry "bold," whatever that is. Anyone have comparative remarks, relative to the curve or other models?

Functionally, the Bold is better - 3G, faster internet, mouse-like tracking through pages, etc. Form-wise, it's tough to beat the Curve. Quite a bit smaller while still having a decent keyboard. The Onyx / Driftwood is technically the Bold 2, but they've changed the size / shape to more closely resemble the Curve.

Package will indeed go up $30.00 a month with Verizon. I just looked into this yesterday as I just can't seem to find a phone that I like to replace the one I have. I am not in need of the services of the Blackberry so I am not willing to put out $30 more. Or really $60 more if you end up with the buy one get one deal. They will not give you the phone without activating the data service.

Functionally, the Bold is better - 3G, faster internet, mouse-like tracking through pages, etc. Form-wise, it's tough to beat the Curve. Quite a bit smaller while still having a decent keyboard. The Onyx / Driftwood is technically the Bold 2, but they've changed the size / shape to more closely resemble the Curve.

Frankly, I've waited this long to get blackberry or Iphone. Think its worth it to wait for the Onyx/Driftwood? My primary interests are office email/remote work capabilities, fantasy football, and music storage (in that order). I don't give a rat's arse about "apps" or other goofy junk.

Tell me why one would get a blackberry vs. a phone like the Omnia or Omnia II? The blackberry doesn't have all the apps and is $30 a month, where as the Omnia is $10?

I think I have all of that right, dunno. I'm thinking about upgrading from my phone I have had for 6 years :D People do this :wacko: when they see my phone. Still works good, holds a charge for 4 days too and I talk on it like a housewife. :D

The curve does not hold a candle to the Tour. Investigate the Tour. It is an incredible machine. Solid phone as well as data machine. Curve is old school.