[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know times are hard, but how can people get rid of their pets :(

TimC

I've seen on Craigslist and Facebook people losing their job and having to get rid of their dogs and cats. I'm guessing they are having to sell their houses and move into some place that isn't pet friendly? Dog food isn't THAT expensive. I'd sell f'n body parts before I could ever get rid of my 15-year old lab, Chalkie. If I were homeless, she'd be sleeping in the ditch with me and I'd give her all the blankets I had to keep her warm.

I just don't understand people at all. I love my dog more than any family member or other person on this planet.

I ate my Basset Hound. After 3 years of hills science diet lamb and rice he was nice and tender and flavorful. I'll post the recipe in the cooking forum.

All due respect, Timmay ... you don't have kids.

If it's between feeding my kids (or buying them some new shoes or similar necessity) and feeding my dog, I'm feeding my kid.

Now, if its between feeding my dog or renting movies at Blockbuster, I'm gonna feed my dog.

I've seen on Craigslist and Facebook people losing their job and having to get rid of their dogs and cats. I'm guessing they are having to sell their houses and move into some place that isn't pet friendly? Dog food isn't THAT expensive. I'd sell f'n body parts before I could ever get rid of my 15-year old lab, Chalkie. If I were homeless, she'd be sleeping in the ditch with me and I'd give her all the blankets I had to keep her warm.

I just don't understand people at all. I love my dog more than any family member or other person on this planet.

Depending on circumstances, it could be viewed as the ultimate sign of love that someone is willing to part with a pet in hopes the pet will have it better in another situation. Just sayin :wacko:

Depending on circumstances, it could be viewed as the ultimate sign of love that someone is willing to part with a pet in hopes the pet will have it better in another situation. Just sayin :wacko:

didn't I see a movie about this in the same vain ?? It was a period piece around the time of the great depression, only it centered around a horse??

If it's between feeding my kids (or buying them some new shoes or similar necessity) and feeding my dog, I'm feeding my kid.

Now, if its between feeding my dog or renting movies at Blockbuster, I'm gonna feed my dog.

Yup

Wait a minute...What if the movie starred Jenna Jameson?

:D

I'm reaching into savings to take care of my 13-year-old beagle to try to alleviate melonomia the vet discovered.

:D

Hoping for the best for your dog John.

We are spending a lot of $$$ on Nilly's monthly tests and daily meds. Not sure how we would do it if faced w/ your situation. But in answer to the original question, D_Bass makes a very good point. Some people would just tie them to a tree in the forest, or worse, so the Craig's List thing is like an act of mercy. I do agree w/ Tim though as far as getting rid of your dog. Our first dog was driving us crazy chewing everything she could (separation anxiety) for almost 2 years. Crates were not a consideration (they really weren't recc'd for training back then) and we did all the "tricks" to no avail. We ALMOST took her to the pound. Called in a trainer and for $30 he put us on the right track and she was probably the best dog we ever had. She lived to be 15.5 yo and John, fwiw she had cancer twice. Once at 8 yo and again at 11 yo. Just my :wacko:

That's just crazy! No doubt that there are really wonderful pets that most of us have experienced in our lives and it's a shame that some are being sold or given away. But no, and I mean absolutely no pet can mean more or be on the same level as family members (kids wife/husband) in my eyes. I gather you don't have kids Tim, as I've known other people (my co-teacher) without kids and they treat their pets like kids and feel as if it's an equal comparison. Just not the case IMO and for those that did end up having kids, things change as nothing is more important than your kids.

ETA: No disrespect meant to Tim as he's certainly entitled to feel the way he does about his pet and it's great to have such a bond with your pet. I was just sharing my opinion on the matter.

Edited by irish

The ultimate sign of a clueless pompous ass is telling Tim how he should feel. Nice post Tootie.

ETA: No disrespect meant to Tootie as he's certainly entitled to feel the way he does about this post and it's great to have such an edit button with your post. I was just sharing my opinion on what a dope you are.

Edited by gilthorp

Anyone can make kids a dime a dozen, but finding a good dog, training them and their undying love can never compare.

Valid point and when you have such a great pet and such a close bond, it can come close I guess. Tim, do you have any kids? The answer to that question will be very telling and will certainly clear things up for me.

That's just crazy! No doubt that there are really wonderful pets that most of us have experienced in our lives and it's a shame that some are being sold or given away. But no, and I mean absolutely no pet can mean more or be on the same level as family members (kids wife/husband). I gather you don't have kids Tim as I've known other people without kids and they treat their pets like kids and feel as if it's an equal comparison. Just not the case.

that depends on the pet and the family.

+ infinity. Never in a million years would I betray my animals like that.

that depends on the pet and the family.

Yet another great point as with some families, the members hate each other and therefore could prefer a pet over the other hated family members. It's just tough for me to imagine wanting to take care of a pet more than you would for your own flesh and blood. I also changed some of that post above so that I made my point a little more clear. Don't get me wrong I have a cat named Dusty who we found as a stray and we absolutely love her and would always take care of her but she is surely not on the same level as my wife or kids. I also had a phenominal collie, Shane, when I was a kid (looked just like Lassie) and I adored her but she wasn't an equal to any of my family members. I was devastated when she had to be put to sleep.

Edited by irish

Desperate people need to to do desperate things. Better to post a potential adoption vs a bullet in the head or worse.

The scene in "Of Mice and Men" when the old guy has to put down his dog and only REAL friend, is like a gut kick everytime I see it. Man I hate/Love that scene. :D

FWIW....Dogs/Pets can be very expensive. Thank God these people are at least looking for a good home for their beloved dogs. Dammit...It's an act of kindness, NOT cruelty! :wacko:

I had to get rid of my dog seven months ago because he bit my son. For the record, that dog (Sherman) was by far and away the BEST dog I have ever owned. I never thought I would EVER get rid of him, or as I put it to my wife, quit on him, but I had too. He wasn't the problem, my son, who has PDD-NOS, was and is still the problem. My son has some development delays and doesn't "get it" when I tell him some dogs don't like to "loved".

After Sherman bit my son I called my brother to see if he would take him for me, and thank god he agreed. I pay for all of his food and vet bills, but I still don't don't get to see him every day.

Desperate people need to to do desperate things. Better to post a potential adoption vs a bullet in the head or worse.

The scene in "Of Mice and Men" when the old guy has to put down his dog and only REAL friend, is like a gut kick everytime I see it. Man I hate/Love that scene. :D

FWIW....Dogs/Pets can be very expensive. Thank God these people are at least looking for a good home for their beloved dogs. Dammit...It's an act of kindness, NOT cruelty! :wacko:

Well said RR and i totally agree

I guess I missed the point...but these people are trying to find homes for their dogs because they're losing their homes, right? If it's because they can't afford dog food then that's another issue.

I could never imagine abandoning my dog. He is part of the family. But he is a dog. And if it comes down to putting food on the table...I'll find him another home.

My bulldog was with me before my wife and kids. I used to think I would always love him like a child. Then I had kids. Puts everything into perspective. I still treat him like royalty though.