[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Animal Experts

matt770

I would like to know if these conditions are considered cruel, borderline cruel, simply less than optimal, or just fine by the animal-lover/breeder/veterinary community. I have my own opinion but would like to hear others.

A female boxer is kept outside in a 6'x8' chain-link kennel. There is a small doghouse provided for shelter from the elements. Each day her owner brings her some food and fresh water, and removes her waste twice per week, on average. The dog is occasionally (maybe once or twice a month?) taken inside to spend the night, and returned to the kennel in the morning. Once in a while, someone in the family takes her for a short walk, and sometimes she might get to run around when the owners are visiting friends with a fenced yard -- but these occasions are a rarity, maybe 4 times per year, on average. In a typical week, the dog spends 99 to 100% of her time in the kennel, with any variation from this being an exception from the norm.

Sounds cruel to me (although I have no official training on dogs). The books I read before getting my dog said if you don't have at least one hour a day to play with your dog, that you shouldn't get one. Keeping a dog in a kennel more than 8-9 hours was seen as cruel (I believe the book was Raising a Puppy You Can Live With). Everything I read said that a kennel was a good place to keep a dog when you were not home. They are descendants of wolves and prefer to have a "den" of sorts. But that doesn't mean you can leave them cooped up for extended periods without it being mentally cruel. Not sure what your relationship to the situation is but it'd be something to look into to see if you can file a legal complaint.

It's definitely less that ideal, but I wouldn't go as far as say it is cruel. I have two boxers myself. One is an indoor dog, the other is an outdoor dog. The indoor dog gets a ton of attention but is rarely walked. The outdoor dog is in a 15' x 35 grass and concrete' kennel but is walked almost every day, fed twice a day and played with for five or ten minutes during the evening feeding every night. He has a house that cost me about $350 in just materials to build. During the winter if it gets too cold he is brought in, but is kenneled in the laundry room in wire kennel, but here in this part of Texas that is about 10 days a year at most.

Sounds cruel to me (although I have no official training on dogs). The books I read before getting my dog said if you don't have at least one hour a day to play with your dog, that you shouldn't get one. Keeping a dog in a kennel more than 8-9 hours was seen as cruel (I believe the book was Raising a Puppy You Can Live With). Everything I read said that a kennel was a good place to keep a dog when you were not home. They are descendants of wolves and prefer to have a "den" of sorts. But that doesn't mean you can leave them cooped up for extended periods without it being mentally cruel. Not sure what your relationship to the situation is but it'd be something to look into to see if you can file a legal complaint.

This all goes along with what I've heard about dogs' needs. I was being very generous when I said the dog is walked or taken to a fenced yard occasionally. I've seen the jackass take her for a drive once and saw someone else in the house walk her once. Most of her existence is spent pacing around, barking at cats and humans, and gnawing at the cage trying to get out.

I would love to file a complaint, but the dog in question and her idiot owner are in very close proximity, and our local SPCA is notorious for incompetence and lax animal cruelty laws. Bitching would only get my truck keyed.

Same dude has a motorcycle that he keeps out on the patio, a neon green Kawasaki. One time he took it for a ride around the neighborhood for about 5 minutes, other than that he just occasionally turns the ignition and revs it to the max decibel level, then shuts it off. He also has a car but no job and rarely leaves the house, and a girlfriend that I can only assume he never has sex with.

I have this problem where I try to understand people. My theory thus far is that he keeps the dog so he can relate to something that takes up space but serves no purpose whatsoever.

I have never figured out way people have a pet that they do nothing with. I say this as my wife is feeding my hunting dog popcorn inside of our house. I hate to see situations that you described. Technically they are not doing anything wrong, but I sure wish something could be done about it.

Technically they are not doing anything wrong, but I sure wish something could be done about it.

Bingo, and this is especially the mindset of our SPCA, sheriff, and it seems, most residents here. Since this kind of thing seems relatively common, I wondered if maybe a few people would say it's not as bad as it looks.

We made a hugh mistake moving here, I've already acknowledged that for so many other reasons. Watching this dog suffer is just one of the trials we endure, waiting for conditions to improve to allow us to sell.

I would love to file a complaint, but the dog in question and her idiot owner are in very close proximity, and our local SPCA is notorious for incompetence and lax animal cruelty laws. Bitching would only get my truck keyed.

And you can't make an anonymous call because-? Are you the only one who lives close to him, or would he "know" it's you?

Too many people have no business being pet owners.

Or parents.

Bingo, and this is especially the mindset of our SPCA, sheriff, and it seems, most residents here.

Plenty of others too. "It's just a dog" [vickheads] Pathetic and warped, frankly.

So how's the weather in Hampton VA anyway?

And you can't make an anonymous call because-? Are you the only one who lives close to him, or would he "know" it's you?

1. 'Ol Bobby at the SPCA would come out in his white van to take a look, see the food and fresh water and the doghouse, and conclude that the dog has food and shelter. Good enough for him.

2. I am the sore thumb in the neighborhood. I walk around with an odd contraption that spreads stuff all over my lawn to keep it green and weedless, I sweep up trash in the common areas, and I walk around all high-falutin' in my fancy shoes and shirt. They would know it's me.

3. One time I came home from the gym and a cop was just leaving the area, I have no idea why he was here. My wife was home but did not hear or see anything unusual. The next day, wife comes home from work, neighbor mutters "cop lover" and "Yeah, you BETTER get in your house". So we are the default cop-callers in their mind, even when we are minding our own business.

4. I have already endured a yearlong ordeal involving a crazy cat lady in this neighborhood, false criminal charges, rumors, and vandalism to my truck that I detailed in another thread. I'm done trying to be a positive influence here, as it only attracts harassment. Pains me to say that, but the stress has been almost unbearable, especially for my wife.

1. 'Ol Bobby at the SPCA would come out in his white van to take a look, see the food and fresh water and the doghouse, and conclude that the dog has food and shelter. Good enough for him.

2. I am the sore thumb in the neighborhood. I walk around with an odd contraption that spreads stuff all over my lawn to keep it green and weedless, I sweep up trash in the common areas, and I walk around all high-falutin' in my fancy shoes and shirt. They would know it's me.

3. One time I came home from the gym and a cop was just leaving the area, I have no idea why he was here. My wife was home but did not hear or see anything unusual. The next day, wife comes home from work, neighbor mutters "cop lover" and "Yeah, you BETTER get in your house". So we are the default cop-callers in their mind, even when we are minding our own business.

4. I have already endured a yearlong ordeal involving a crazy cat lady in this neighborhood, false criminal charges, rumors, and vandalism to my truck that I detailed in another thread. I'm done trying to be a positive influence here, as it only attracts harassment. Pains me to say that, but the stress has been almost unbearable, especially for my wife.

Sounds a lot like you are in the wrong neighborhood.

"Cop Lover?" Absolutely. Anyone that would use that as a curse is up to no good. It's like roaches, you see one, there is a lot worse you AREN'T seeing. The dog is the least of it.

You need to make plans to move when the market is better.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see your other thread. I'm sorry about your situation.

Edited by cre8tiff

Sounds a lot like you are in the wrong neighborhood.

"Cop Lover?" Absolutely. Anyone that would use that as a curse is up to no good. It's like roaches, you see one, there is a lot worse you AREN'T seeing. The dog is the least of it.

+1

I don't know what kind of jackass says that but it's not good news.

• 4 months later...

Update: The moron POS next door has replaced the chain-link kennel with a framed wooden box. Plywood floor, walls, and roof, no windows. Same size. So in addition to being cooped up in a box, now the dog cannot even see outside. Not sure why the moron POS did this; perhaps to lessen the noise level of the constant barking. Doesn't work though -- he has actually created an echo chamber which makes the barking sound even louder than before. With no ventilation I'm sure it will be stifling in there in the summertime, assuming the dog doesn't perish from insanity by then.

He also added a second dog to the box.

Update: The moron POS next door has replaced the chain-link kennel with a framed wooden box. Plywood floor, walls, and roof, no windows. Same size. So in addition to being cooped up in a box, now the dog cannot even see outside. Not sure why the moron POS did this; perhaps to lessen the noise level of the constant barking. Doesn't work though -- he has actually created an echo chamber which makes the barking sound even louder than before. With no ventilation I'm sure it will be stifling in there in the summertime, assuming the dog doesn't perish from insanity by then.

He also added a second dog to the box.

Matt, are you in Hampton, VA? I am in Chesapeake. PETA is in Norfolk. :wacko:

Yeah, it would be over the top but I think you would get results.

Yeah, it would be over the top but I think you would get results.

Results like these? Same house, different POS, date 4/19/08:

Charge No: 001Description:BURGLARY-FIRST DEGREE

Charge No: 002Description:BURGLARY-FOURTH DEGREE

Charge No: 003Description:ASSAULT-SEC DEGREE

Charge No: 004Description:RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT

Charge No: 005Description:RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT

Charge No: 006Description:RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT

Charge No: 007Description:DISORDERLY CONDUCT

Charge No: 008Description:MAL DESTR PROP VALUE + $500

Sounds like a day's work doesn't it?

I would have paid that nice EMT and her fireman boyfriend $10,000 not to sell that house and just stick it out with us. Seriously.