[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Larry David goes too far on "Curb"

BeeR

I was at an auction for the Catholic school in our neighborhood. They had a quilt the nuns made up for sale, and the priest didn't think it was bringing enough money. So he stepped up to the podium and told the audience that since the quilt was made by NUNS, anything done on or under it was a forgiven sin. I believe the thing ended up going for over $600.00

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad the Catholics weren't as outraged when their priests were transferred to another church for child molestation and declare bankruptcy to get out of paying the civil settlements of the victims. :oldrolleyes:

Give me a break.

I'm surprised this took 25 posts to get to

The bankruptcy part bothers me alot. The only other organization that has more money worldwide than the Catholic Church is the United States of America.

Can you also look at how charitable the Church is as well ?

Yes. There is good and bad in everything...just like Larry David.

This is one of my favorite shows. My wife and I watch it every week. When that part came on the 2 of us really didn't say anything. We didn't laugh , we didn't scream in protest. I just said something along the lines of 'he is really pushing the envelope with that one' and we didn't say anything else about it.

The reason you wouldn't see him do this to a picture of muhammed is that I truly believe they would have literally killed him for it.

Not sure if you're generalizing about all this, but I'm definitely not outraged. I didn't see it either. But from what I know, I also find it in bad taste.

There are levels of bad taste. I simply find this level a little bit too much.

I am a huge fan of bad taste.

Too bad the Catholics weren't as outraged when their priests were transferred to another church for child molestation and declare bankruptcy to get out of paying the civil settlements of the victims. :oldrolleyes:

Give me a break.

Have fun in Hell.

He did not intentionally piss on the pic. It was splashed on which is a bit different than showing someone on TV actually urinating directly on a pic of JC.

I don't think it was that big of a deal due to the fact it is a comedy and that is part of the shows shtick to push the edge and offend everyone.

About equal to Sinead O' Connor tearing up the Popes picture on SNL.

Not even close. If I recall, O'Connor was raised Catholic and felt betrayed by a church that she didn't feel was doing enough in light of priest after priest being called out on child molestation charges. People are allowed to be really pissed when things like that go down. And frankly, as an outsider, it's hard not to be more pissed for the church seeming to turn a blind eye to these atrocities than it is to be pissed at someone for just making a public display of disgust with that. My guess is the scars left on the children molested are a bit deeper than on those who had to witness a woman tearing up a picture of the pope.

As for the Larry David thing, that dude annoys me. I suffered through about 5 episodes a few years back before I just gave up on it.

I'd like to add that I, personally, harbor no ill will towards Catholics in general for the atrocious actions made by some prominent members of their religion. Rather that I felt little sympathy for any outraged in having someone publicly call out the church on this matter.

Edited by detlef

Not even close. If I recall, O'Connor was raised Catholic and felt betrayed by a church that she didn't feel was doing enough in light of priest after priest being called out on child molestation charges. People are allowed to be really pissed when things like that go down. And frankly, as an outsider, it's hard not to be more pissed for the church seeming to turn a blind eye to these atrocities than it is to be pissed at someone for just making a public display of disgust with that. My guess is the scars left on the children molested are a bit deeper than on those who had to witness a woman tearing up a picture of the pope.

As for the Larry David thing, that dude annoys me. I suffered through about 5 episodes a few years back before I just gave up on it.

I'd like to add that I, personally, harbor no ill will towards Catholics in general for the atrocious actions made by some prominent members of their religion. Rather that I felt little sympathy for any outraged in having someone publicly call out the church on this matter.

I posted the severity of my reaction to an event on TV.

How do you get off judging my reaction. Get that massive ego in check....plueeesee.

Edited by jackshi17

The Priest shell game has given the world carte blanche to bash catholics for eternity is basically what goes on any time the church has a strong opinion or gets in an uproar about anything. Like I said I was surprised it took 25 posts to see it the first time. People have this notion that a majority of the Catholic population werent disgusted by that as well. I think those priests should be strung up by their nuts. I dont worship Priests. I worship God . The teachings of God were never the problem in my eyes it was some of the teachers. Thankfully every Priest I have ever met were true to their cause and righteous people.

About equal to Sinead O' Connor tearing up the Popes picture on SNL.

I posted the severity of my reaction to an event on TV.

How do you get off judging my reaction. Get that massive ego in check....plueeesee.

Actually, my thin-skinned friend, you said it was about equal. No that your reaction to it was the same, but that it was about equal. My point is, quite simply that one person's public display of protest against a church that she'd felt betrayed by is, in no way, "about equal" to some dude who's schtick is to push the envelope of discomfort as far as he can and see who might get pissed if he "inadvertently" got some pee on a picture of Jesus.

That sir, is a big freaking difference and the size of anyone's ego has nothing to do with it.

The Priest shell game has given the world carte blanche to bash catholics for eternity is basically what goes on any time the church has a strong opinion or gets in an uproar about anything. Like I said I was surprised it took 25 posts to see it the first time. People have this notion that a majority of the Catholic population werent disgusted by that as well. I think those priests should be strung up by their nuts. I dont worship Priests. I worship God . The teachings of God were never the problem in my eyes it was some of the teachers. Thankfully every Priest I have ever met were true to their cause and righteous people.

There's nothing about what you've said here that I don't agree with. Frankly, as someone who is not a catholic, nor ever was, I would not think of doing what she did. My point is only that I can understand someone being so disillusioned with their church doing so. That's really it. That's why I posted my disclaimer at the end of my post, because I didn't want to come off like I was bashing the church. In fact, I wasn't even implying that you guys shouldn't get mad if someone pisses on Jesus. Hell, I can understand you being pissed at what O'Connor did. However, what I'd have a hard time grasping is the feeling that she should be vilified for expressing her anger at what was undeniably a horrible chapter in the church and the feeling that the top brass of that church wasn't taking it seriously enough. Or at least that other Catholics couldn't understand why she did this.

This should not be confused as bashing the religion, all of it's priests, and all of it's followers.

He did not intentionally piss on the pic. It was splashed on which is a bit different than showing someone on TV actually urinating directly on a pic of JC.

Well that makes everyone getting offended even more retarded. Some of you people need to get over yourselves.

Well that makes everyone getting offended even more retarded. Some of you people need to get over yourselves.

People who saw it who were offended

vs

People who read about it at Fox News who were offended

So It's not even people being offended by something pretend that happened... it's people being offended by accounts of something pretend happening.

We're through the whining glass here, people.

Yeah that changes things. I didn't see it; didn't even YouTube it or hear about it anywhere but here. OP may have overdone it. :wacko:

E2A: Yup, guess I need to read the linked articles more often. I was under the impression someone was pissing all over a picture of Jesus, in like "Calvin pissing" fashion. This really isn't that big of a deal, although the "in bad taste" is still a factor, at least for me.

Edited by darin3