[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone heard of an Engagement Party?

Jackass

Just got invited to one. what the hell is this? and most importantly what are my gift giving obligations?

I would trust there is no gift-giving obligation. If there were, the concept of an engagement party would appear to artificially create a gift-giving obligation.

I know about them, but they are becoming a rarity in this day and age(and economy)...I don't think u need to buy a gift until wedding time, if u feel otherwise, just get a nice btl of wine or something along those lines. It's just their party to celebrate the upcoming nuptials, no real etiquette to buy a gift for it. Wow! Weddings are sooooo expensive, my niece just got married. My sis shared with me price/person....outrageous!!! I really need to start saving for that event lol!!!

Mrs. Rebellab's cousin had a destination wedding that we were not going to, and they had a great engagement party. We took a gift just because we knew were not going to the wedding. Besides, it was open bar on a boat on the Mississippi River near Minneapolis. I got more that my share. I couldn't figure out how we got back to the dock, I didn't realize we had turned around. I was a little :wacko: . So if you plan not to get to the wedding and feel compelled take a gift, but it is not usually expected.

I've been invited to a couple of them. Typically we bring gifts unless something on the invite says not to. So if the invite doesn't say anything, you are typically expected to get them something off of their registry. The way to do this and still stay in budget is just to split the difference into two presents. For example, you are going to spend $50 on a wedding gift for this couple. Find one thing or a few things that add up to around $25 and then do the same thing again for the wedding. If the invite says "no gifts" we still brought a bottle of something (booze if you are better friends with the guy or wine if you are better friends with the girl).

Sounds like a couples shower by another name. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Hmmm.... I guess I'm a little slow this morning but that is what I took it as. I think they've been called engagement parties before (so they sound less ghey). I guess unless it is an after party the night/day after they got engaged, assume it is a couple shower/engagment party IMO.

:wacko: What happens if you go to one of these things and bring a gift....basically this is a pre-wedding gift.............then the happy couple decides that they really can't stand each other and the wedding is off. Should you expect to get your gift back, or approximate cost refunded?

An engagement party not only sounds ghey, but incredibly selfish if you expect gifts.

Engagement party.

Several months go by and it's time for the wedding shower.

Finally the wedding arrives.

Three gifts for one event.

I'm cynical about 'engagement parties' and 'wedding showers.' I wouldn't bring a gift on prinicple.

I though the rule of thumb was you only had to get the happy couple one gift. If not, it's my rule so if you get a gift at the "engagement party," you're not getting one at the wedding. If you expect one everytime, then you suck donkey balls IMO.

I though the rule of thumb was you only had to get the happy couple one gift. If not, it's my rule so if you get a gift at the "engagement party," you're not getting one at the wedding. If you expect one everytime, then you suck donkey balls IMO.

You have a logical mind. You could teach logic at the college level.

I think it's pretentious on the part of the engaged couple to expect a gift.

I've been to one. There were maybe 6-7 couples in attendance. We basically went out out for a nice dinner and then out to some bars. I think their gift was first - the get together itself, and second - most of us bought the couple a shot.

Engagement party.

Several months go by and it's time for the wedding shower.

Finally the wedding arrives.

Three gifts for one event.

I'm cynical about 'engagement parties' and 'wedding showers.' I wouldn't bring a gift on prinicple.

That was my thought exactly. My friend called me bitter. At least i'm not alone.

Pretty common around here. Either bring a gift or don't bring one - the couple really won't care. Our friends threw one for us which we didn't ask for and some people brought booze, some brought gifts off the registry, while others didn't bring a thing and ate free food and drank for free so it's up to you which group you want to fall into.

Pretty common around here. Either bring a gift or don't bring one - the couple really won't care. Our friends threw one for us which we didn't ask for and some people brought booze, some brought gifts off the registry, while others didn't bring a thing and ate free food and drank for free so it's up to you which group you want to fall into.

I would fall into the group that would simply ignore the invitation.