[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What happend to this place?

gsmayes

This is my 27th year at this. Others that have been at it a while recognize the same scenarios, over & over, with the only difference being the names. I read most things for something to do but post less. I enjoy & value the in season week to week prognostications. I pick my own lineups, always starting my studs & trying to find the shootouts for the other slots. But there are always points made that I don't think of, because I don't do this 16 hours/day. I would guess the busier boards have a younger crew, on average.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of the biggest problems with the main forum is that the new generations of huddlers arent as mentally tough or battle tested as the old ones. When you are talking sports it is usually going to be a passionate and spirited conversation. Most people are going to throw some jabs or get in some trash talking or maybe take a shot at you if they dont agree with what you are saying. In the old days here (even before my time) how you handled that determined if you were going to be a regular or not. If you started kicking and screaming and ran to the mods, or took your ball and went home, then this place probably wasnt for you. If you gave as good as you got , kept things above board and opened your mind to the slight possibility that the other guys opinion may have some merit, you benefited from this place and usually ended up becoming a regular.

I have been doing fantasy football for about 14 years.. When I started , the huddle projections were like the bible. I couldnt wait for the start bench lists and would love to get on the main boards and see peoples opinions. Now I am married with 2 kids and 2 jobs and I have been at this long enough where I know my trends, I know the players I like and I know how to make up my own mind. I like the main boards for homer updates, injury updates and occasionally you snag a sleeper from someone that has some balls and throws one out there (colston, mike wallace etc).

One of the problems with the main boards is that a lot of the regulars and old school huddle members are all in huddle (both) leagues together now. A person may be reluctant to share a sleeper or show their opinion on a player in fear of that info being used against them in a draft or league transaction. Also when huddle regulars get fed up with main board nonsense they go to their BOTH league forums where they know all of the people and can share a comfort zone. Granted , both league forums get heated and bitchy on many occasions too but you generally know everyone in the league and usually see through any issues

People come and people go. The people that can withstand some hazing and trash talking and can see the forest through the trees usually end up really liking this place . I will put The Huddle up against any message board on the planet as far as the phenomenal displays of kindness and camaraderie that I have personally seen .

As far as the Tailgate, my stance has always been the same. In my opinion, politics severely lessens my enjoyment of the TG. Others dont see it that way so I have just accepted it for what it is. As I heard Furd once say "taking politics out of the tailgate would be like trying to take the pee out of the pool" That pretty much sums in up. It will find its way into the TG no matter what measures are taken.

So Newbies. Man up and stick around. You will be glad you did. And to the old schoolers :wacko:

Are the mods that trigger happy that you can't even express an opinion?

Here's an opinion and damn th epowers that be if they want to ban me for stating it.

1) The advice forum needs to be broken out into WDIS, RMT and trades. All these worthless RMT's clog the real questions and push them to page two in 20 min.

2) FF used to be about sarcasm... AKA smack. The new generation is geared so heavily towards self esteem that banter is somehow evil now. RMT's blow and I use sarcasm a lot and I've been rewarded with nasty PM's for it. If there was a place for RMT's, then RMT away.

3) The main Football forum is a great source of info... I use it as the main source.

and that's all I have to say about that.

#1 above is what really gets me. As I open those threads I see a lot of posts from Thews and Grits that just rail on the person and post useless things in the thread and then complain about pushing real questions down the page - did your useless 3.45623 post not just do that? Just let the thread go and if people want to ignore it then they will drop on the page.

Way too many people who can't take some serious ribbing - they tend to quickly get whiny - I thought this board was mostly men but it sure seems like a lot of people are wearing panties. I do post in the political forums and yes it does get bitchy but it is not hard to just man up and go with the flow - I almost always disagree with with what BPwallace says but for some reason I think I would enjoy haveing a beer with the dude - after all it is just a message board (now I do think some dudes I would rather pop in the jaw than have a beer with).

I do really enjoy the tailgate and do enjoy the political discussions and really like how you get both sides of the aisle.

This place is not 100% what it used to be but is still worth the money. Oh yea I do like the football info also. :wacko:

I thought this board was mostly men but it sure seems like a lot of people are wearing panties.

In Chief Dicks case, both points are correct

I think one of the biggest problems with the main forum is that the new generations of huddlers arent as mentally tough or battle tested as the old ones. When you are talking sports it is usually going to be a passionate and spirited conversation. Most people are going to throw some jabs or get in some trash talking or maybe take a shot at you if they dont agree with what you are saying. In the old days here (even before my time) how you handled that determined if you were going to be a regular or not. If you started kicking and screaming and ran to the mods, or took your ball and went home, then this place probably wasnt for you. If you gave as good as you got , kept things above board and opened your mind to the slight possibility that the other guys opinion may have some merit, you benefited from this place and usually ended up becoming a regular.

I have been doing fantasy football for about 14 years.. When I started , the huddle projections were like the bible. I couldnt wait for the start bench lists and would love to get on the main boards and see peoples opinions. Now I am married with 2 kids and 2 jobs and I have been at this long enough where I know my trends, I know the players I like and I know how to make up my own mind. I like the main boards for homer updates, injury updates and occasionally you snag a sleeper from someone that has some balls and throws one out there (colston, mike wallace etc).

One of the problems with the main boards is that a lot of the regulars and old school huddle members are all in huddle (both) leagues together now. A person may be reluctant to share a sleeper or show their opinion on a player in fear of that info being used against them in a draft or league transaction. Also when huddle regulars get fed up with main board nonsense they go to their BOTH league forums where they know all of the people and can share a comfort zone. Granted , both league forums get heated and bitchy on many occasions too but you generally know everyone in the league and usually see through any issues

People come and people go. The people that can withstand some hazing and trash talking and can see the forest through the trees usually end up really liking this place . I will put The Huddle up against any message board on the planet as far as the phenomenal displays of kindness and camaraderie that I have personally seen .

As far as the Tailgate, my stance has always been the same. In my opinion, politics severely lessens my enjoyment of the TG. Others dont see it that way so I have just accepted it for what it is. As I heard Furd once say "taking politics out of the tailgate would be like trying to take the pee out of the pool" That pretty much sums in up. It will find its way into the TG no matter what measures are taken.

So Newbies. Man up and stick around. You will be glad you did. And to the old schoolers :wacko:

Excellent analysis.

Way too many people who can't take some serious ribbing - they tend to quickly get whiny - I thought this board was mostly men but it sure seems like a lot of people are wearing panties. I do post in the political forums and yes it does get bitchy but it is not hard to just man up and go with the flow - I almost always disagree with with what BPwallace says but for some reason I think I would enjoy haveing a beer with the dude - after all it is just a message board (now I do think some dudes I would rather pop in the jaw than have a beer with).

This is true too. I'd love to drink beer with most of the people who are diametrically opposed to my political stance.

#1 above is what really gets me. As I open those threads I see a lot of posts from Thews and Grits that just rail on the person and post useless things in the thread and then complain about pushing real questions down the page - did your useless 3.45623 post not just do that? Just let the thread go and if people want to ignore it then they will drop on the page.

You're a good example of a fragile flower that doesn't have a clue about sarcasm. This is the second time you’ve chimed in to whine about giving a newbie crap about a RMT. Poor little newbie… I’ll rate yours if you rate mine! So fragile flower… rate them :wacko: , encourage them :tup: , and if you ever seek advice watch it plummet to page two in minutes.

Whomper makes a some very good points, but the one that speaks loudest to me involves the BOTH Leagues.

Most of the Huddle regulars are in one more BOTH leagues and for many of them - the BOTH league is their number one league. I am not in a BOTH league this year, but the Wench is and I have of the message board folk in the dynasty league I run. There is a lot more reason to bite one's tongue these days.

You're a good example of a fragile flower that doesn't have a clue about sarcasm. This is the second time you’ve chimed in to whine about giving a newbie crap about a RMT. Poor little newbie… I’ll rate yours if you rate mine! So fragile flower… rate them :wacko: , encourage them :tup: , and if you ever seek advice watch it plummet to page two in minutes.

Nothing to do with being a fragile flower - I can take whatever you dish - my point is that you say that you don't like things because it pushes it down to the bottom of the page but your useless non-funny comments do exactly what you are saying.

I agree 1000% that there should be a seperate forum for them but to jump on someone new by being a jag is not cool - just my opinion.

You (and others) throw out this newbie thing a lot - dude this is just a message board and being here and longer and having more posts does NOT make you any better than anyone else.

Nothing to do with being a fragile flower - I can take whatever you dish - my point is that you say that you don't like things because it pushes it down to the bottom of the page but your useless non-funny comments do exactly what you are saying.

I agree 1000% that there should be a seperate forum for them but to jump on someone new by being a jag is not cool - just my opinion.

You (and others) throw out this newbie thing a lot - dude this is just a message board and being here and longer and having more posts does NOT make you any better than anyone else.

Shut up newbie tool!

:wacko:

who are you?

I've found that the Tailgate works in waves; there's some very high traffic weeks and there's some much slower weeks.

I also use the main football forum as one of my main sources of info - and even though everything there right now is redundant, sarcastic and rude - as soon as Sunday rolls around it will clean up and turn back into a decent news source for the next 23 weeks.

We aren't technically "in-season" right now - so you can't expect a whole lot from this place - only the wily vets talking about the same things over and over.

While true about the main forum being a good source of info, I am not sure it will "clean up" on sundays during the season. In fact, I would say the main forum gets completely clogged up during the games by silly and/or redundant posts. If Chris Johnson blows up in the first quarter of the game, there will be 4-5 threads started about Chris Johnson. If Chris Johnson has not blown up by the second series of the game, there will be a half-dozen threads started along the lines of "Where is Chris Johnson??" "What is going on with CJ?" "Is Chris Johnson hurt???" "Anyone watching the Tennessee game?" My only real complaint about the forums here is the number of worthless posts created every weekend as the games are going on :wacko:

In there interest of keeping the forum readable, there should only be one thread going about any one player or game at a time and there should be ZERO threads started pissing and moaning about any given player's performance while that player's game is still going.

Edited by Delicious_bass

Excellent points, particularly about the BOTH leagues. I remember when there were just a few, but now it takes me 5 minutes to read through them all to click on the leagues I'm in. I know there have been a ton of times when I thought of posting something on the main forum but held back because of how it may affect my draft. There have been a couple of times I didn't post an injury update because I didn't want to give my opponent who was starting an injured player the heads up.

The only thing we really disagree with is political threads in the tailgate, though I wouldn't mind seeing a "politics" forum.

I also like the idea that someone else had about breaking up the advise forum into three separate forums.

While true about the main forum being a good source of info, I am not sure it will "clean up" on sundays during the season. In fact, I would say the main forum gets completely clogged up during the games by silly and/or redundant posts. If Chris Johnson blows up in the first quarter of the game, there will be 4-5 threads started about Chris Johnson. If Chris Johnson has not blown up by the second series of the game, there will be a half-dozen threads started along the lines of "Where is Chris Johnson??" "What is going on with CJ?" "Is Chris Johnson hurt???" "Anyone watching the Tennessee game?" My only real complaint about the forums here is the number of worthless posts created every weekend as the games are going on :wacko:

In there interest of keeping the forum readable, there should only be one thread going about any one player or game at a time and there should be ZERO threads started pissing and moaning about any given player's performance while that player's game is still going.

Doesn't all this fly in the face of the prevailing wisdom that there isn't enough traffic? If five threads start up when Chris Johnson only has 10 yards 10 minutes into the game, that indicates to me there's plenty of board traffic. What would be more worrisome is no posts.

Doesn't all this fly in the face of the prevailing wisdom that there isn't enough traffic? If five threads start up when Chris Johnson only has 10 yards 10 minutes into the game, that indicates to me there's plenty of board traffic. What would be more worrisome is no posts.

I dont think a lack of traffic is ever really a problem here, nor do I think this place ever suffers a lack of new posts. Quality is another matter, however...

I dont think a lack of traffic is ever really a problem here, nor do I think this place ever suffers a lack of new posts. Quality is another matter, however...

Well, if we are only considering your posts, then I'd have to agree.