[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your personal sports dagger

whomper

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be a primary difference between Gators and Seminoles. Gators consider a tie with Seminoles as a failure while Seminoles equate a tie with the Gators as a success.

Yes...I'm still bitter.

:tup:

Trust me, the first 3 quarters were brutal and sports dagger in their own right.

But for that era, the only team to have a winning record against Steve Spurrier.... ahhh, yes, I miss the days of watching him lose his sh#t and throw visor. Can't say much about the rivalry recently though. :wacko:

Game 6. Buckner.

This is complete utter and total bulchit. Calvin Shiraldi lost that game all by himself. Once the Mets tied that game up, it was over, Buckner error or not. The game was tied up. Schiraldi lost that game. There were two outs, no one on. Carter had two stikes on him, and he singled off Schiraldi. Mitchell singled. Schilardi had an 0-2 count on Ray knight, and he singled to center. That scored a run to make it a one run game. Then McNamara pulled Schiradli and Bob Stanley wild pitched the tying run in with Knight moving to second. At that point the game was over. The Mets were going to win, period.

McNamara usually pulled Buckner for defensive replacement Dave Stapleton, but McNamara didn't do it, wanting Buckner to be on the field for the final out.

THEN game 7 was delayed one day for rain, allowing Boston to avoid starting Oil Can Boyd. Hurst started and the Bosox went out to a 3-0 lead. Yet it is Buckner who gets all the blame. The Sox would not have even been there if not for Buckner's bat.

Blame McNamara, blame Schiraldi, blame Stanley, but not Buckner, playing on two ankles that nearly made it impossible to even walk.

For me, back when I was actually a baseball fan, has to be the Gibson HR.

sharks @ col 0-0 own goal in OT

:tup:

The dagger was Denver's worst Superbowl loss - the one to the Niners 55-10.

for me it was the one against the skins, because that is the one out of those 3 that I really thought they would win. f'n timmay smith, doug williams :wacko:

another was a game 7 avs playoff loss (can't recall the year) against the red wings when roy just turned into a seive and let in 5 goals or something. was not expecting such a letdown, anticlimax of a game 7.

the broncos playoff loss against the jags in (I think) 97, and kordell stewart's implosion at home against nebraska the year CU was REALLY good and didn't lose another game all year would round out the list for me.

I should add the roughing the passer penalty Gastinue got on Kosar on 4th down at the end of a playoff game game against CLE. It was the most pointless penalty there has ever been. Kosar had long before gotten rid of the ball. Turn over on downs, Jets win and go to the AFC Championship game. That turd does not deserve to have his french name spelled correctly. I will hate him forever. Forever.

The other NFC Championship loss that I remember was '87-88 against Washington (dropped pass near end zone by Darren Nelson).

This game was probably one of my most difficult Viking losses over the years.

When the North Stars left was a true dagger for me. Hockey just hasn't been the same since for me.

This is complete utter and total bulchit. Calvin Shiraldi lost that game all by himself. Once the Mets tied that game up, it was over, Buckner error or not. The game was tied up. Schiraldi lost that game. There were two outs, no one on. Carter had two stikes on him, and he singled off Schiraldi. Mitchell singled. Schilardi had an 0-2 count on Ray knight, and he singled to center. That scored a run to make it a one run game. Then McNamara pulled Schiradli and Bob Stanley wild pitched the tying run in with Knight moving to second. At that point the game was over. The Mets were going to win, period.

McNamara usually pulled Buckner for defensive replacement Dave Stapleton, but McNamara didn't do it, wanting Buckner to be on the field for the final out.

THEN game 7 was delayed one day for rain, allowing Boston to avoid starting Oil Can Boyd. Hurst started and the Bosox went out to a 3-0 lead. Yet it is Buckner who gets all the blame. The Sox would not have even been there if not for Buckner's bat.

Blame McNamara, blame Schiraldi, blame Stanley, but not Buckner, playing on two ankles that nearly made it impossible to even walk.

For me, back when I was actually a baseball fan, has to be the Gibson HR.

Forgive my french, but stuff it where the sun don't shine.

The question was about a moment. I don't blame the loss on solely on Buckner. Never did. The guy should not have even been in the game.

That doesn't mean that that moment wasn't a giant dagger in the heart of every Sox fan watching the game. An easy ground ball turns into a freaking disaster. You obviously don't have the capacity to understand the feeling of that moment. The last out. A slow roller. BwwaaAAHHHH???

I'll never forget that time that Drew Pearson got absolutely mauled by that Vikings defender, Nate Wright, but still managed to make the catch. The ref threw the flag and I felt a dagger in my heart as I knew he'd make the B.S. homer call. Luckily the ref got it right and saw that cheating Vikings defender had basically attempted to murder Pearson right there on the 10-yard line on national TV and awarded him the touchdown.

Other than that, it was when Dwight Clark pushed off, stepped out of bounds, secretly grabbed a ladder, climbed it and made "The Catch" and the refs let him get away with all of it completely. Disgusting play, but it was a different game back then. Fans would throw stepladders on the field sometimes and the refs would allow it sometimes.

how did you even know that?

He saw something intelligent. Knew it didnt come from Moneymakers. Copied it. Pasted it in google and was lead to the link

Edited by whomper

I'll never forget that time that Drew Pearson got absolutely mauled by that Vikings defender, Nate Wright, but still managed to make the catch. The ref threw the flag and I felt a dagger in my heart as I knew he'd make the B.S. homer call. Luckily the ref got it right and saw that cheating Vikings defender had basically attempted to murder Pearson right there on the 10-yard line on national TV and awarded him the touchdown.

Other than that, it was when Dwight Clark pushed off, stepped out of bounds, secretly grabbed a ladder, climbed it and made "The Catch" and the refs let him get away with all of it completely. Disgusting play, but it was a different game back then. Fans would throw stepladders on the field sometimes and the refs would allow it sometimes.

Poor soup. :wacko:

This:

He saw something intelligent. Knew it didnt come from Moneymakers. Copied it. Pasted it in google and was lead to the link

Oh, and this:

so hugh 0ne "rolls" by copy-&-pasting moneymakers posts into google. that is truly fascinating.

There are 2:

1) There's a steal by Bird

2) Kordell to Westbrook

Yep.

A couple of more.

Phantom foul on Laimbeer in 88 Finals against Kareem and the Lakers.

As Pud mentioned the Sheed Tournover.

Game 7 two years ago Red Wings v Pens. The whole game just hurt me watching it.

The two Furd mentioned are probably my top 2. I was in college for the Kordell to Westbrook pass. I just stood in the corner in silence for a 1/2 hour afterwards.