[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your personal sports dagger

whomper

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The FUMBLE in the Meadowlands.

All the Jints had to do was kneel down. Kneel down!!! But NOOOOOOOOOOO! The call was for Joe Pisarcik to hand off to Larry Csonka off-tackle and run out the clock. Only it looked like Pisarcik turned the wrong way, having to turn 270 degrees to get to Csonka. He reached out - it is still so friggin' vivid - and tried to get it to Csonca, only to place it on his hip. Herman f'n Edwards picked it up and loped into the end zone! Ugggh!

:wacko:

Forgive my french, but stuff it where the sun don't shine.

The question was about a moment. I don't blame the loss on solely on Buckner. Never did. The guy should not have even been in the game.

That doesn't mean that that moment wasn't a giant dagger in the heart of every Sox fan watching the game. An easy ground ball turns into a freaking disaster. You obviously don't have the capacity to understand the feeling of that moment. The last out. A slow roller. BwwaaAAHHHH???

Tough guy, eh? Boston fans have always blamed Buckner, and it's very unfair. If I had to pick a moment that game was lost it was the wild pitch, but Stanley gets a free pass... and Buckner is still unwelcomed in Boston.

So many to choose from:

Jack Clark's homerun for the Cards @ the Dodgers in the 1985 NLCS to more or less clinch the series.

The 4th quarter 38-37 USC loss to ND at home in 1986 where SC led 37-20 and then Tim Brown went wild. We were contending for a NC at the time.

The Steelers 4th quarter comeback win in Superbowl 14 in Pasadena vs the Rams.

The BS call for the Canadiens vs the Kings in the 1993 Stanley Cup finals. The Kings won game 1 and were leading game 2 when those p@$$ies called for a stick measurement from Marty McSorley. They got a cheap call and a cheap win and went on to take the series.

USC losing the 2005 NC to Texas at the Rosebowl when Vince Young took Texas down field for the win at the end.

USC's current probation announcement.

that's just for starters LOL. I'm sure if you're a Cub fan you have me beat by a country mile.

Tough guy, eh? Boston fans have always blamed Buckner, and it's very unfair. If I had to pick a moment that game was lost it was the wild pitch, but Stanley gets a free pass... and Buckner is still unwelcomed in Boston.

You call me out, but I am the tough guy?

Okay Rovs.

The point is that you miss the point. All of the things that you mention are true about things that contributed to the loss of the game. None of that changes that there was an easy slow roller up first base that would have ended it if one of the most routine plays in baseball were executed properly.

If I ever met Bill Buckner, I would shake his hand. I carry no ill will towards the man. Never have. Doesn't make that moment less of a dagger.

Why don't you worry about your own moment and less about mine.

I was a Hugh fan of Ben Roethlisberger... One night I was out at a club and met him and some of his buddies; he was buying us drinks, joking around, around one or two AM... :wacko:

I was a Hugh fan of Ben Roethlisberger... One night I was out at a club and met him and some of his buddies; he was buying us drinks, joking around, around one or two AM... :tup:

By ending it with this ---> :tup: , I assume you made the mistake of entering the bathroom with him? :wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff

Late to the thread, but more than a few as a Philly fan:

1. McNabb's INT thrown to Ronde Barber to seal their NFC Championship loss at home

2. Linesman Leon Stickle blowing an offside call in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals, enabling the Islanders to score the tying goal to send the game to overtime, where they won their first of four Stanley Cups. Had Stickle made the blatant call, Game 7 would have been in Philly.

3. Mitch Williams ill-fated pitch to Joe Carter, which is still the only World Series clinched with a walk-off home run

4. Lindros getting laid-out by Scott Stevens in the conference finals, effectively ending his concussion-laced career

:)

:pc:

:sick:

:tup:

:clap:

:lol:

:(

:tup:

LMAO.

Some great posts here.

I guess my dagger is also my salvation:I arrived in the US in 1985. More specifically Massachussetts Though I always liked sports, I wasn't exactly a big fan of US football, and basball. I was just starting to have a passing interst in the NFL when the Pats made the SB as severe underdogs. Now I may not have know much about football, but I did know I liked a real underdog, and got pretty exited about the possibility of a crazy upset. I really beleived it possible, in the way 13 year olds can. Of course the Pats did not dissapoint, breaking pretty much every record in the book in terms of SB maulings at the time.

And tough I only lived in MA. 2 years of my 20 years in the US, it made me an unconditional pats fan.

Of course the successes of the recetn decade left me a little uncomfortable. To me they will always be that 46-10 Sb team...

This of course...

1998, the "almost perfect" season

In 1998, Anderson signed with the Minnesota Vikings and converted all 35 of his attempted field goals and all 59 extra points in regular season play, becoming the first placekicker to finish the regular season with a 100% success rate on both field goals and extra points. However, Anderson would miss his most crucial attempt of the season in the NFC Championship Game vs. the Atlanta Falcons. With the Vikings leading 27-20 with 2:07 left in the 4th quarter, Anderson lined up for a 38-yard field goal to give them a two possession lead. A converted kick would have, barring a miracle, delivered the Vikings to their first Super Bowl in 22 years. The missed kick gave the Falcons a chance, and they took full advantage of it by traveling down the field and scoring the tying touchdown sending the game to overtime. The Falcons would then win the game in overtime on, coincidently, a 38-yard kick by Morten Andersen at almost the same spot. It was a bitter pill to swallow for the Vikings who went 15-1 in the regular season.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

This or the Cards beating the Brewers in the '82 world series.

I was at that game. :wacko:

As for daggers:

--Yzerman scoring in double OT in game 7 of the playoffs against the Blues in 1996 really hurts.

--the Don Denkinger blown call in the 1985 World Series is still painful

--and Tom Brady not getting called for intentional grounding during the game-winning drive against the Rams in the Superbowl still pisses me off (go to 7:10 here to see what I am talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjpYzh5VnPE )

#1: Pirates vs. Braves.....1992 NLCS - Pirates leading 2-1 with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. The bases were loaded with Pirates closer Stan Belinda on the mound, set to face light-hitting Francisco Cabrera. Cabrera singles into left field, easily scoring the first run. Barry Bonds comes up with the ball in left, just as former Pirate Sid Bream is gimping his way around 3rd. Bonds throw is weak and off-line. Mike Levalliare catches the ball and tries to dive back to Bream for the tag, but, it's late. The Braves win the game, and the Pirates have now broken a major sports record with 18 straight seasons of finishing below .500.

#2: Steelers vs. Chargers.....1994/1995 AFC Championship Game. Neil O'Donnell's potential game-winning pass to Barry Foster from the 3 yard line on 4th down was slapped to the ground by Linebacker Dennis Gibson. The heavily favored Steelers were defeated by the Chargers.

#3 & #4: Super Bowl XXX - Steelers vs. Cowboys - Neil O'Donnell's 1st and 2nd interceptions to Larry Brown.