[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do your kids still believe in Santa ?

whomper

10 year old is asking lots of questions. I'm sure he knows, but we basically told him if he doesn't believe then he won't come. I have a 7 year old so I don't want it ruined for him yet as I know his older brother will tell him. I found out when I was 9 on xmas morning when my sister told me. I was devestated at the time and immediately went to my dad who said sorry, she is telling the truth. Ruined xmas for me that year.

I have avoided any mention of santa claus, but i'll be damned if my almost 4 year old hasn't found about him anyways.

I blame the school system, the kids he hangs out with, christians, and society as a whole. :tup:

:tup:

grmble, gmrlelem,grrrr.

Guess I'm off to the toy store now.

Great. Just frikkin great :wacko::lol:

:lol:

PS I am almost entirely kidding. But not entirely. Would love to keep that mad consumerism that goes with the season at bay as long as possible.

It stinks when it is even mentioned around the kids that there is no santa but it is inevitable and you never know when it is coming. Its fun when they still believe. My kids love Glee and this weeks episode had some rough "believe in Santa" moments. We have one of my oldest daughters classmates over for a sleepover . She is a very sweet kid but her mom is an idiot for many reasons. This kid really took a liking to my wife. She sees her as the compassionate mother figure that she wants in her life. Her mom adamantly told her that there is no Santa and that she is too old to believe and actually gets angry when she mentions it. So of course she comes here and starts the "my mom said there is no Santa " chatter. Its sad. The kid still wants to believe. She made a list and she asked me and my wife to send it for her since her mom wont. So we said sure. Then she said since her mom dont believe and we are sending her list maybe Santa will leave her presents here . We were like :wacko: . Sucks that her idiot mom is adamantly ruining this for the kid., Shes only 9. It is also causing awkward moments for the other kids because she is telling this story to anyone that will listen.

this is deep ... I think I could write a 90 minute made for TV movie just based on this post.

My 4.5 year old boy still believes, but has been scared to death of Santa until this year. We finally got him and his little sister to get a picture taken with Santa at the mall last week. The first picture of him was great. Him smiling and putting up a brave front with tears in his eyes. Santa then gave him some stickers and talked to him and he was fine after that so the picture we got was better, with only a look of apprehension on his face. My daughter does whatever he does so she had the same look. I love spending $25+ on a terrible picture!

My 4.5 year old boy still believes, but has been scared to death of Santa until this year. We finally got him and his little sister to get a picture taken with Santa at the mall last week. The first picture of him was great. Him smiling and putting up a brave front with tears in his eyes. Santa then gave him some stickers and talked to him and he was fine after that so the picture we got was better, with only a look of apprehension on his face. My daughter does whatever he does so she had the same look. I love spending $25+ on a terrible picture!

I dont know, i think think the terrible ones are the best!

I'm going to get people coming down on me like the plague, but we've never lied to our kids and created artificial jolly elves. Thank GOD for the recent Veggie Tales release explaining Saint Nicholas in Greece. We had to then explain how when Christianity came to Europe it basically "took the place" of winter solstice blah blah blah but the important thing is that (in my view) God deigned to become human and mortal just to salvage us, and if he can do that there's no greater gift we can give.

Yeah, Santa woulda been way better in retrospect... :wacko:

My 9 year old still believes. I'm pretty sure my 12 year old does not, but she is smart enough not to voice this.

My 12 year old and I went out on a daddy/daughter date last night, and she came right out and said she no longer believed in Santa. I told her that was too bad as only those that believe get gifts from him. She quickly changed her tune. After giving her a hard time I told her not to tell her mom that she doesn't believe and that I'd beat her within an inch of her life if she told her sister. I think she now has a much greater respect for us when we say we don't need to spend money doing this or that so that we can save some money, as she now knows where some of that saved money goes.

I'm going to get people coming down on me like the plague, but we've never lied to our kids and created artificial jolly elves. Thank GOD for the recent Veggie Tales release explaining Saint Nicholas in Greece. We had to then explain how when Christianity came to Europe it basically "took the place" of winter solstice blah blah blah but the important thing is that (in my view) God deigned to become human and mortal just to salvage us, and if he can do that there's no greater gift we can give.

Yeah, Santa woulda been way better in retrospect... :wacko:

What 3 year old hasnt snuggled up to an open fire and been regailed with the story of Christianity coming to Europe and taking place of the winter solstice ?

6 and 3, both still believe.

We also do Elf on the Shelf, and that is a great motivator to keep the kids behaving a bit better in December. Just a pain to find new hiding spots every night.... heaven forbid we forget to move the elf or use the same spot a 2nd time.

But, the first thing the kids do when they wake up is go searching the house for "Elvie" and the first thing they want to do when I get home at night is show me where 'Elvie" was hiding that day.

I'm planning to tell each of my boys on the afternoon of Christmas when they are closest to their 8th birthday. I want to be the person breaking the news to them and explain the whole thing about giving, etc. I still remember my dad explaining it to me and it went ok. (Of course, on the evening before the next year's St. Nicholas Day, I told my younger brother that St. Nicholas was really our mom (and to prove it to him I had him come hide with my under a chair in our living room to wait to see when she filled our stockings. Of course, she saw us and told us to go to bed. I've never asked my brother if he believed me or not back then.))