[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2011 Book Thread

CaP'N GRuNGe

Thought I'd do this again like last year. I started out pretty well early in the year last year and then fizzled out quite a bit with a move and other things taking my attention. Time to start reading again. Got a bunch of books for Christmas and my Birthday -

6 Preston & Child books (Pendergast)

3 James Rollins books (Amazonia, Ice Hunt, and Altar of Eden)

2 Steve Berry books (The Alexandria Link and The Venetian Betrayal)

Last book I finished in 2010 was Blasphemy by Douglas Preston. I thought it was pretty good. I'm about 130 pages to go in Reliquary right now. A nice sequel to Relic.

I thought about getting an e-Reader but decided to stick with the paperbacks for now.

What are you reading this year?

:wacko:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:fingerscrossed: I'm certain that this is the year that 'A Dance With Dragons' is released. :/fingerscrossed:

We can only hope Martin has started writing the book again instead of hanging out on the miniseries set.

:fingerscrossed: I'm certain that this is the year that 'A Dance With Dragons' is released. :/fingerscrossed:

Don't hold your breath. I checked his website and nothing updated on that at all.

However, Raymond Feist has a new book coming out in addition to the second book of the Demonwar Saga which I have yet to read, and I noticed Erikson's latest Malazan Empire book "The Crippled God" is out, so there's some new reading material for me there.

I didn't even realize David Eddings had died in 2009. Then again, his last series was so bad I could only take 2 books of it before I quit bothering.

Edited by SeductiveNun

Don't hold your breath. I checked his website and nothing updated on that at all.

However, Raymond Feist has a new book coming out in addition to the second book of the Demonwar Saga which I have yet to read, and I noticed Erikson's latest Malazan Empire book "The Crippled God" is out, so there's some new reading material for me there.

I didn't even realize David Eddings had died in 2009. Then again, his last series was so bad I could only take 2 books of it before I quit bothering.

Some more fantasy that is coming out in 2011:

Scott Lynch- the Republic of Thieves

Joe Abercrombie- the Heroes

Patrick Rothfuss- The Wise Man's Fear

So far this year I've read:

The Last Oracle by James Rollins

The Judas Strain by James Rollins

Black Order by James Rollins

Relic by Preston & Child

Reliquary by Preston & Child

I'm currently reading:

Deliver Us From Evil by David Baldacci

Realm of the Ring Lords by Laurence Gardner

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I've been reading Dennis Lehane's series with the two private eyes Kenzie and Gennaro...started with the very first one "A drink before War" and just finished "gone baby gone"

He's a pretty tremendous writer, though I'm definitely biased as everything is set in and around Boston where I live and its cool seeing how he depicts the different neighborhoods of the city.

Finished Preston & Child's Reliquary and Steve Berry's The Alexandria Link. Starting up Steve Berry's The Venetian Betrayal. :wacko:

I'm trying to muddle through my gas bill... 406 therms from Dec 2nd to Jan 4th... And I'm probably going to go back through and read some of the old books on the shelf, mainly anthologies of early American literature and Brit literature through the 19th century.

Still working on the James Rollins Sigma books. I'm very nearly finished with Judas Strain. However I'm going to take a break from the line since I got Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and Sean Payton's book for Christmas.

Still working on the James Rollins Sigma books. I'm very nearly finished with Judas Strain. However I'm going to take a break from the line since I got Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and Sean Payton's book for Christmas.

I didn't care for The Lost Symbol as much. Not bad but kind of left you with a "that's it?" at the end.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just picked up Berry's "The Alexandria Link" and Preston's "Relic" at the Library. Couldn't decide which one to pick first. Never read any of them but

seeing you guys like James Rollins decided to give these 2 a try.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I also saw Preston's "Book of the Dead" there and looked really good. Maybe I should have picked it up too, lol.

Edited by Shaman