[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pet Peeve of the Day - Jackass Neighbors

Big Country

Wife texts me today to say she got an anonymous note on our front door from some neighbor complaining that our kids are too loud.

Give me a f'ing break.

yes, they play in the backyard. During the week, they are in school until 12:30ish, and indoors by 5 or 5:30 for dinner, showers and heading to bed.

On weekends, I don't let them go out until 8:30 or 9:00 so people can sleep in without the sound of kids (even though some neighbors have gardeners there at 7am on weekends), and they are again usually in by 6 or 6:30 for dinner, shower and going to bed.

yes, they can be loud a times, they are 6 and almost 4, and even more so if there are friends over, but it's not like it is early in the morning or late at night and normally they are just riding bikes around the backyard or climbing a tree or something.

peeves me that this ballless bastard can't just come say something to us when it is happening so if there really is excessive noise or it is an unreasonable time I could address it.

Prick typed up the letter and put it on our porch with a copy of the HOA rules about noise.

ugh, just annoys me.

Wife texts me today to say she got an anonymous note on our front door from some neighbor complaining that our kids are too loud.

Give me a f'ing break.

yes, they play in the backyard. During the week, they are in school until 12:30ish, and indoors by 5 or 5:30 for dinner, showers and heading to bed.

On weekends, I don't let them go out until 8:30 or 9:00 so people can sleep in without the sound of kids (even though some neighbors have gardeners there at 7am on weekends), and they are again usually in by 6 or 6:30 for dinner, shower and going to bed.

yes, they can be loud a times, they are 6 and almost 4, and even more so if there are friends over, but it's not like it is early in the morning or late at night and normally they are just riding bikes around the backyard or climbing a tree or something.

peeves me that this ballless bastard can't just come say something to us when it is happening so if there really is excessive noise or it is an unreasonable time I could address it.

Prick typed up the letter and put it on our porch with a copy of the HOA rules about noise.

ugh, just annoys me.

Does your HOA prevent littering on other people's porches?

Edited by yo mama

Find out what they're doing wrong and use it against them.

We had some elderly neighbors like that in our old house, but they smoked a sh1tload of Josh Gordon. So we mutually agreed to ignore each other.

I've got to figure out who it is first. Pretty much two likely suspects.

#1 is neighbors behind us. Never really met them. Waved once or twice maybe.

#2 is people next door. It is possible, as the wife did leave a hand writrten note once about our dog right after we moved in... to be fair, he had a case of kennel cough and was hacking it up, so understand the complaint, though did not care for the anonymous nature of it then. Later found out it was her, all cleared up and figured we have met each other enough in passing that she wouldn't do that and would just come over. But, she is a lawyer, so you can't put anything past her.

I feel like I need to go redrum style and go off the grid to get away from this petty BS. That, or I will go through the HOA handbook and come up with random violations for everyone that I can and send anonymous notes as well.

I had a real issue this weekend. It was getting me pretty hot.

I have at least 10 cardinal couples that enjoy the fresh seed I provide over the winter, along with a few small quaint little fowl that twitter and chirp about.

well this weekend a storm of starlings descended upon the juice compound, you'd think they'd found the path to 72 virgins by a bus full of gyptian looters the way these damned birds went to town.

Here's what you do: not a d@mn thing. If the people don't like it, they can move. It they so much as say a word to directly to your kids, call the cops.

I agree. First of all, you don't know who dropped off the note. This person expects you to be neighborly enough to keep your kids quiet but isn't neighborly enough to make the request in person. Second, if kids playing outside is a violation (and gardeners at 7 a.m. is not), let them come after you. I would love to see what parents in the neighborhood have to say about that.

Give me a f'ing break.

ugh, just annoys me.

Type up another note with big letters that say" Penny Lane YOU" and attach it to your door folded up.

We put up an 8' fence along the back of our yard because of the neighbors. With the bamboo it looks like the friggin Great Wall of China. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

Make a copy of this letter and attach it to a letter you and your wife sign and send to all immediate neighbors. Your letter reads something like:

To Whom it May Concern:

We received the attached anonymous letter about our children playing too loudly. Our family will continue to enjoy our little corner of the planet as we see fit and as good neighbors. If you have an opinion about the attached letter or the person(s) who wrote it, we would like to hear from you. Within the next few weeks, we are going to provide all of this to the HOA for their records.

Sincerely,

BC Mrs. BC

We have a pastor next door and a drinking buddy, with a family, next door. Sometimes they are one of the same. In the Saturday summer mornings the pastor's kids use our backyard and porch as a turnstile and we feed them breakfast like they are our own. It's too bad things aren't like that everywhere.

This is easy to find out who wrote the letter. The next time you are out shopping pick up a small bottle of baby power or baking soda (pay cash) and when you get home pour a little pinch or two in to the envelope. Drive someone where you have a remote road or one not traveled much and get rid of the power/soda.

Then when you get home, call the police and tell them someone left the letter about your kids BUT that the letter has a strange white powder in it. The FBI will be called in and they will pull prints off of it and then question whichever neighbor the prints belong to. Bingo!

Here's what you do: not a d@mn thing. If the people don't like it, they can move. It they so much as say a word to directly to your kids, call the cops.

We received the attached anonymous letter about our children playing too loudly. Our family will continue to enjoy our little corner of the planet as we see fit

Bingo. Screw these people. Kids will be kids. Can they be a little loud and disruptive at times ? Of course. But you and the Mrs. are doing nothing wrong and you seem conscious of the times that your kids are out playing. That is all you can do. Let them continue to have fun and if your sackless neighbor doesnt like it they can kiss your ass

This is why HOAs are the debbil!

Seriously, ignore it. They are kids for Penny Lanes sake, they are going to get loud occasionally. If they don't have the balls to address you directly at the time it is happening I see no need for you to address anything.

Had a similar situation once. We addressed it with a letter to all our immediate neighbors saying we would be more aware of the issue and to please talk to us directly instead of leaving anonymous letters. Included our home phone and cell phone numbers. We then followed up with everyone in person over the next day or two. It went over really well with all but one neighbor who now avoids us and doesn't make eye contact. Wonder who made the anonymous letter? We're good with our other neighbors even more now though, so I'd say it worked out well.

I feel like I need to go redrum style and go off the grid to get away from this petty BS.

I moved to the country back in '06 and got away from people and the HOA. It is heaven. Of course, the old retired people across the street that are idiots don't help but I have enough of a buffer zone at least now.

People suck so hard. Best thing is to get as far away from them as possible.

This is why HOAs are the debbil!

Seriously, ignore it. They are kids for Penny Lanes sake, they are going to get loud occasionally. If they don't have the balls to address you directly at the time it is happening I see no need for you to address anything.

New folks moved in next door to us last year. Their kids play in the back yard all non-winter and we love it. It makes the area more human and more fun. What should people do, lock their kids up? Miseries like the anonymous letter writers should move out to the sticks where they can be completely alone.

:wacko: I'm leaning towards doing nothing. Maybe try to check in on the kids a little more than you do normally, but if they are really just normal kids playing then there isn't much to worry about. I don't know what your HOA says about noise. Are there serious ramifications? Or is this a situation where 90% of the people around you must complain to make anything enforceable? Talk to the neighbors you do know and maybe just bring it up in passing. Something like, "hey, let me know if the kids are getting too loud for ya."

My neighborhood has some kind of an HOA but it's pretty weak and ignored by everyone (I don't even have a list of the rules). One thing I loved about this house when we moved two years ago is that I have no neighbors behind me (kind of a wooded area with a park on the far side) and nobody directly across the street from me. Small culdesac and everyone has kids so there aren't really any problems so far.

I like hearing kids playing outside. It feels like a neighborhood with some life to it.

I'd make sure my kids stay off the suspected letter writer's property and respect other people's property in general. Other than that, nothing.