[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What ever happened to long songs?

DMD

Some of the truly great songs of the past are very long:

American Pie 8:32

Stairway to Heaven 8:02

Hotel California 6:35

Freebird 9:10

There are probably others that I cannot think of off the top of my head.

This leads me to 2 questions:

1. Why don't they make long songs anymore? Those four songs are all 30 years old or more. Is the world too fast paced now for a long song?

2. Were there are really long songs that flopped? All the longs ones I know of are classics.

Real music pretty much no longer exists on the radio or tv. Why? Music is no longer about music and expression. It's about lifestyle, convenience and sound bites. You no longer get famous because you're any good, but because The Man has decided you're going to be famous even if you suck.

Some of the truly great songs of the past are very long:

American Pie 8:32

Stairway to Heaven 8:02

Hotel California 6:35

Freebird 9:10

There are probably others that I cannot think of off the top of my head.

In-A-Godda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly (9:00) was always one of my favorites. But today is too fast paced for long songs and drugs are illegal now.

1. Why don't they make long songs anymore? Those four songs are all 30 years old or more. Is the world too fast paced now for a long song?

1. instant gratification

2. singles

3. mass-marketed crap artists/albums with one "hook" song (see 2)

Pretty much all boils down to the fact that hollywood has opted for bland mass-marketed "catchy" music that's fun for kids to dance to and doesn't require a lot of deep thought. The days of symphony-like masterpieces and real artists appeared to have died completely along with Kurt Cobain.

"Rapper's Delight" is a 1979 single by American hip hop trio The Sugarhill Gang. While it was not the first single to feature rapping, it is generally considered to be the song that first popularized hip hop in the United States and around the world. The song's opening lyric "I said a hip hop, a hippie, a hippie to the hip hop" is world-renowned. The song is ranked #248 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, #2 on About.com's 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs, and #2 on VH1's 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs. The 15-minute song was recorded in a single take.[1] There are three versions of the song: 14:36 (12" long version), 6:30 (12" short version), and 4:55 (shortened single version).

The new Linkin Park album "A Thousand Suns" is best listened to as a single song (47:56), 2010

Tool still puts out a lot of long songs, Rosetta Stoned (11:11), 2006

...And Justice for All (9:45), 1988 (GD that makes me feel old)

Its all about $$$. The shorter the song, the more time is left for advertising. Long songs are just inconvenient for program managers as well. It is harder to make your pie clock work when there is a big 6 minute chunk in it. Creedence was a master of the short song. It made them very attractive to DJ's because you can squeeze in one of their songs where few others would fit. I don't think the long song is necessarily dead, but it better be a damn good one if you expect airplay.

I do agree that the shortened attention span of society as a whole is a big part of it as well. You know, one minute commercials used to be the norm when I was a kid, now hardly ever.

Real music pretty much no longer exists on the radio or tv. Why? Music is no longer about music and expression. It's about lifestyle, convenience and sound bites. You no longer get famous because you're any good, but because The Man has decided you're going to be famous even if you suck.

Good replies all but this one IMO says it best. Form has replaced substance.

And not to sidetrack from music too much, but I also notice this with TV shows/etc that will immediately skip from one camera/viewpoint to the next, again and again, giving you almost no time to focus on the previous one. There's also that brilliant idea of ads flitting across bottom the screen (often almost non-stop) while the show is going on. :wacko: How ADD can you get? I hardly even watch TV because of this.

Back to music: not all new stuff is bad or old stuff good of course, but generally speaking, hearing "modern music" (even discounting the more obvious crapola like rap) makes me shake my head in pity for kids growing up w/this empty-calorie stuff. Sadly, they don't know enough to even know any better as it's all they've known.

PS back to the OP, pretty sure these are all at least 7-8 mins plus. It is odd how so many are great, but there were clunkers (some of Yes' more "out there" stuff, blech):

Aja (St Dan)

Deacon Blues (St Dan)

Jessica (Allman Bros)

Roundabout (Yes)

:tup:

And not to sidetrack from music too much, but I also notice this with TV shows/etc that will immediately skip from one camera/viewpoint to the next, again and again, giving you almost no time to focus on the previous one. There's also that brilliant idea of ads flitting across bottom the screen (often almost non-stop) while the show is going on. :wacko: How ADD can you get? I hardly even watch TV because of this.

The bolded is almost solely because of the advent of the DVR. People don;t watch the commercials anymore, so now they are placed within the show. This is also evident in the large surge in product placement (as simple as the American Idol judges all having cups with the Coke logo showing at all times to close ups of cell phones, i forget which brand, on CSI:NY etc.)

"Rapper's Delight" is a 1979 single by American hip hop trio The Sugarhill Gang. While it was not the first single to feature rapping, it is generally considered to be the song that first popularized hip hop in the United States and around the world. The song's opening lyric "I said a hip hop, a hippie, a hippie to the hip hop" is world-renowned. The song is ranked #248 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, #2 on About.com's 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs, and #2 on VH1's 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs. The 15-minute song was recorded in a single take.[1] There are three versions of the song:14:36 (12" long version), 6:30 (12" short version), and 4:55 (shortened single version).

Always good for a party...

Edited by Delicious_bass

A few that leap to mind, all well over a dozen minutes each:

I Walk On Gilded Splinters - Humble Pie (24 mins)

Curtain Call - The Damned

Dogs - Pink Floyd

Telegraph Road - Dire Straits

1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) - Hendrix

Dogs - Pink Floyd

Good call, although I could've lived without some of the long pauses and the "stone, stone, stone" thing that went on forever. That song should've been about 2/3 as long.

Edited by BeeR