[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cruxifiction of Joe Paterno

Rovers

And if you want to understand the methodology of a serial child predator, it's pretty detailed in that regard. It will raise the hairs on your neck though (and your blood pressure) and probably make you want to punch something. It's saddening and sickening and I wish I didn't have a desire to be so damn informed at times.

That's one of the things that struck me, how brazen Sandusky was about making use of the athletic facilities. He apparently wasn't too concerned about getting caught.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article about McQuery being put on leave:

Described in court papers as distraught about witnessing the 2002 attack, separate newspaper accounts from the time indicate McQueary appeared in the months and years that followed in charity events that Sandusky also took part in, or were to benefit Sandusky's group The Second Mile.

So the guy witnessed Sandusky anal raping a boy, then participated in charity events that benefited his method for abusing children?

This whole thing is pretty disturbing, bordering on insane.

So the guy witnessed Sandusky anal raping a boy, then participated in charity events that benefited his method for abusing children?

Yep, you hit the nail right on the head. This story just keeps getting worse and worse.

Edited by electricrelish

McQueary put on administrative leave.

About time.

An article on CNN alluded to whistle blower protection laws that made handling his status a bit up in the air, which is probably why he wasn't straight up chit canned with the rest.

And yeah, this guy might be the skankiest of all given he knows exactly what he saw and lived with it along with inaction.

Did anyone read the book or see the movie of Stephen King's IT? This reminds me of the situation where all of the adults basically choose not to notice the monster that is killing their children. They don't want to admit it could be happening and so their consious brains pretty much shut it out. I don't know if its some kind of coping mechanism or what. I'm just finding it very hard to understand any of this.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

One of the Niners dropped this quote about Paterno and it seems very fitting:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

I don't play for the Niners.

Did anyone read the book or see the movie of Stephen King's IT? This reminds me of the situation where all of the adults basically choose not to notice the monster that is killing their children. They don't want to admit it could be happening and so their consious brains pretty much shut it out. I don't know if its some kind of coping mechanism or what. I'm just finding it very hard to understand any of this.

If it's psychology you are looking for, consider my post in the College Football thread on institutionalization. It's not just colleges that can see this kind of misplaced loyalty.

Note: I defer to Untateve in all things psychological, and his view may vary.

Bingo and this is quickly going down as one of the craziest twisted sick scandals ever :wacko:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

I was at the game Saturday, but, I'm just getting a chance to post now. I was proud of the way everyone handled themselves. There were no incidents that I saw, and there were some touching moments that gave me the chills and brought several to tears.

1. The Penn State players walking out slowly, arm and arm, rather than doing their usual run onto the field. These are players who had to deal with a lot of animosity, due to no fault of their own. The crowd reception during this slow walk was great.

2. Then, the best moment of all, the Nebraska and Penn State players, coaches, and alumni walking toward and meeting in the center of the field. They got on their knees and were led in prayer by a Nebraska assistant coach. When finished the crowd gave an extremely loud and heartfelt standing ovation.

3. At the end of the game, the crowd cheered the players of both teams. It sounded like Beaver Stadium after a victory. The crowd was appreciative of the effort by the players of both these teams, who dealt with a week long of distractions.

It was a brief moment of pride to distract from the horrific events that took place during the last week. The Nebraska fans that I ran into were nothing but class through and through. It was definitely a memorable day at Beaver Stadium.

Was reading Peter King's MMQB this morning, and he printed a piece from a student of Penn State. One of the best I've read from the Penn State perspective:

I asked Emily Kaplan, a friend of mine from New Jersey, a Penn State junior, and a writer for the campus paper the Daily Collegian, to write something about how the campus was dealing with the Sandusky/Paterno crisis. Her report, filed Sunday night from State College, Pa.:

The origin of the iconic "We Are ... Penn State" chant, the school's signature slogan on and off the football field, is believed to have occurred the same year Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier. In the pre-Paterno year of 1947, SMU didn't want to play Penn State because of PSU's two African-American players and wanted to negotiate a compromise. "We are Penn State," said captain Steve Suhey. "There will be no meetings."

So began the battle cry of unity, as all Penn Staters, to this day, consider ourselves part of a special family. Suhey's son Matt starred at Penn State in the 1970s, and Matt's son Joe played fullback for the Lions Saturday against Nebraska. Walk into a crowded room and shout, "We are ... " and any Penn Stater would know how to respond. The chant represents pride, respect and tradition.

Today, we are Penn State ... but we are ashamed. We are ashamed that our leaders who preach doing the right thing and "success with honor" dishonored all of us with their inaction over an alleged child-abuse scandal. We are embarrassed by the way we are being portrayed, as a football-centric school that would let a child molester walk if that meant our name would stay clean. We read the grand jury report and we are just as disgusted as anyone -- if not more. We are praying for the victims and hopeful they will find justice. We are heartbroken that this could happen here.

But as a Penn State junior, I can tell you this: We are going to be OK. We are not going to let an assistant football coach, apparently a very sick one, or a few university suits define us. For a moment, we lost our identity. We felt sorry for ourselves. We sulked that we were the victims of media scrutiny and that this scandal tarnished our school. But we are not the victims. The children are. So we will move on, working on repairing our school, while honoring those kids along the way.

Already the scandal's ramifications are swirling around campus. Four students apparently lost their spring internships because companies didn't want to be associated with Penn State. Corporate sponsors are supposedly pulling out of THON, Penn State's annual dance marathon, the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, which has raised more than $78 million for pediatric cancer. If all true, it's sad. If people don't want to wear their Penn State garb anymore, it's their decision. But this I know: We are a school with a glorious tradition, a school dedicated to doing things the right way. Our longtime father figure, Joe Paterno, taught us that.

Look, I'm no Penn State apologist. I can't condone the stupid tantrum some of my classmates threw Wednesday night after Paterno's dismissal. Nobody condones the arrogant decisions some of our leaders made. I've also heard the criticism against my school. Happy Valley is in a bubble. Penn State is too image-conscious. JoePa is too deified. The riots give some credence to that. So did the presence of 100 students at Joe Pa's modest off-campus home, many teary-eyed, waiting for him to come out Wednesday night so they could say goodbye and thank him. On the surface it seemed ridiculous. How could students still support this man who didn't do enough to help abused children?

Truth is, if not for Paterno's philanthropy and moral code (until his fatal lapse of judgment), I and thousands of others wouldn't be here right now. If not for Paterno and his grand experiment -- creating a national powerhouse football program with high academic standards -- Pennsylvania State might still be an agriculture school and State College might be lucky if there were a Wal-Mart within a 30-mile radius. Paterno made a huge mistake, but that doesn't mean he's not a good man. When he emerged from his house Wednesday night, I was there when he addressed the gathering. One of the first things he said was, "Go study."

So we will study at Paterno Library, a place Joe and his wife made happen, we will eat Peachy Paterno ice cream and we will remember the lessons he taught us about integrity and honor. We will also remember his mistake, and make sure we never repeat it.

We will fund raise harder than ever for THON, we will work harder than ever in the classroom. Our president, our athletic director, our football coach, will not be around anymore. But we will be, and we will start to rebuild our university's shattered image. Whoever our next football coach may be next season, we will stand behind him and our players. Because we are Penn State. And like the hundreds of thousands of alumni around the country, we always will be.

I sort of figured the kids attending Penn State would make it through this ordeal all right. I'm pretty sure the numbers for kids that have been molested aren't as positive as the numbers for Penn State graduates. Considering these were "at risk" kids to begin with, I would imagine it will make it even worse for their futures. There won't be justice for the victims, just consolation prizes.

I was at the game Saturday, but, I'm just getting a chance to post now. I was proud of the way everyone handled themselves. There were no incidents that I saw, and there were some touching moments that gave me the chills and brought several to tears.

1. The Penn State players walking out slowly, arm and arm, rather than doing their usual run onto the field. These are players who had to deal with a lot of animosity, due to no fault of their own. The crowd reception during this slow walk was great.

2. Then, the best moment of all, the Nebraska and Penn State players, coaches, and alumni walking toward and meeting in the center of the field. They got on their knees and were led in prayer by a Nebraska assistant coach. When finished the crowd gave an extremely loud and heartfelt standing ovation.

3. At the end of the game, the crowd cheered the players of both teams. It sounded like Beaver Stadium after a victory. The crowd was appreciative of the effort by the players of both these teams, who dealt with a week long of distractions.

It was a brief moment of pride to distract from the horrific events that took place during the last week. The Nebraska fans that I ran into were nothing but class through and through. It was definitely a memorable day at Beaver Stadium.

I was one of those that felt that the game shouldn't of been played. However after seeing the pictures from the game and hearing about things like you mentioned here I realized I was wrong. I guess I was just really pissed off and forgot about the role sports can play as part of the healing process.

When you walk into a shower room and find a middle aged man with his dick up the chute of a young boy please follow these simple steps.

1. Club or punch the rapist where the back of his skull runs into his neck.

2. Pull the rapist off the boy and out of the boy while applying a sleeper hold to the rapist until he is out.

3. Stomp on the rapist's balls.

4. Tie up said rapist. Electrical cords or computer cords will do in a pinch. Don't worry if you are cutting off his circulation, Tie him good and tight.

5. Get the boy out of the shower and covered up. Make certain he is not placed where he has to see or hear the rapist.

6. Call 911. Demand the police and an ambulance, both.

7. Go back in to check that the rapist is still tied tightly

8. Stomp the rapist's balls again.

9. Stay around to make certain that real cops and real paramedics respond, not some campus rental variety who think the rapist and his friend, the coach, are gods.

Too nice. I would kill a man if I found him doing that to a child.

Look, I'm no Penn State apologist. ...

Truth is, if not for Paterno's philanthropy and moral code (until his fatal lapse of judgment), I and thousands of others wouldn't be here right now. If not for Paterno and his grand experiment -- creating a national powerhouse football program with high academic standards -- Pennsylvania State might still be an agriculture school and State College might be lucky if there were a Wal-Mart within a 30-mile radius. Paterno made a huge mistake, but that doesn't mean he's not a good man. When he emerged from his house Wednesday night, I was there when he addressed the gathering. One of the first things he said was, "Go study."

So we will study at Paterno Library, a place Joe and his wife made happen, we will eat Peachy Paterno ice cream and we will remember the lessons he taught us about integrity and honor. .

kinda sound like a penn state apologist to me. :wacko:

I'm kinda sick about now hearing how penn state is this tremendous place of honor and integrity, except for that little thing about covering up the abuse of children (and aiding and abbetting so much more abuse in the process) to protect their image. and joe pa is practically a saint, except for being an enabler for a child rapist.

are you kidding me? you know what, folks, this really isn't about your stupid school pride. it is a shame to see people perpetuating the same puffed up pride and school-first mentality that allowed this horrible cancer to spread in the first place.

Classic cognitive distortions here. Sounds very much like the abusers I used to work with. Minimizing the acts to "touching their legs without intent of sexual contact". I've heard that kind of thing many times. I had some shred of hope that this story was overblown in some way, but now I'm 100% positive he did it... a lot of it.

"I am innocent of those charges," the 67-year-old Sandusky said. "... I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids, I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact."

Classic cognitive distortions here. Sounds very much like the abusers I used to work with. Minimizing the acts to "touching their legs without intent of sexual contact". I've heard that kind of thing many times. I had some shred of hope that this story was overblown in some way, but now I'm 100% positive he did it... a lot of it.

I don't understand the purpose of this interview. He doesn't sound convincing at all, in fact it sounds more like he wants everyone to know he is guilty as sin without coming right out and saying it. He had no credible response to any of the obvious questions that he had to know would be asked, other than "no" when asked if he is a pedophile, and when asked if he's attracted to young boys, actually repeats the question!! Let's see....am I attracted to young boys.................um dude, here's a hint, you want to say no to that one, really quickly and emphatically. Jeebus man. Unbelievable.

On the Today show after they played the Costas interview they interviewed Sandusky's attorney who likewise is a shifty- looking weasel who actually came right out and acknowledged that perhaps Sandusky is guilty, and if so, should be punished. Of course watching the attorney with the knowledge that he too committed statutory rape doesn't help his credibility in my mind.

I'm not sure that admitting that you "horsed around" and touched naked boys in the shower was the prudent thing to do.

Its pretty astonishing.

mcqueary shared today that he did "stop" what was going on vs. just running away. all of his language as an eyewitness was that a rape was in progress, and he claims he stopped it.

while nice, he should have called the freakin' police.