[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants/Packers game thread

Ursa Majoris

I'll take quiet confidence and clutch performance over hollow cockiness every time. Funny how Eli has a career season, still dwarfed by the likes of Brees and Rodgers, yet when it counts, who's still standing? And people will still knock him even after yesterday and he'll keep his head down and get to work like he's always done.

speaking of keeping your head down and going to work, you're doing some admirable work in this thread slobbing his johnson :wacko:

-sigh-

Watching the game in person was very difficult as a packer fan. While our defense has sucked all year, the lack of fluidity on offense was extremely disappointing. Everyone here had the benefit of the announcers and replay, so I wont get into fumble calls.

Watching the whole field, the ridiculously poor defensive play by the Packers is magnified. I lost track of how many times the Packers had Clay mathews drop into coverage. (However, the Giants did motion to him quite a bit to change the formation, and if that dictated his drop, then all the props to the OC for the Giants).I also cant remember how many times the Packers needed a stop on 3rd and 3, and then played 10 yards off the WR for an easy pitch and catch for the 1st down. The extreme lack of a pass rush was glaring. the Giants rushing attack was largely negated all day, but the DB coverage was simply absymal.

Eli really didnt seem to make any difficult throws. He didnt have to, the Packers coverage was horseAthena all day. It isnt that hard to throw to open receivers when you have all day to throw with no pressure. When the packers DID blitz, lo and behold Eli was off target on several passes and threw a pick. The Giants offensive line was the real stars of this entire game. I counted several times when the Giants would keep in a back or Te to block, and the Packers would only rush 3 and MAYBE 4. Double teams across the board, and forever to find an open WR.

Even the WRs didnt have to do much, as the packers DBs were non existent. They ran routes well, and had the packers on their heels all day scared of being beat deep and had the full underneath to run wild.

On offense, the Packers were out of sync and looked very flat. The Giants played a very tough cover 2 all day, and the safeties had the advantage of physical CB play that knocked the Packers WRs off their routes. The open areas in that zone were the middle, but since Finley cant catch a Oprahing STD in a whorehouse there was no faith. Plus Crabtree had a bad drop in the seam as well. So the way to attack that Cover 2, in the middle, was taken away by the bad play of the guys running those routes. The Giants took away the deep ball all day with that cover 2, and it showed. A lack of passes to jordy was obvious, and Jennings didnt look right running routes. In fact, the packages the Packers had at WR was curious. I saw Driver/Nelson/Cobb, Driver/Jennings/Cobb, and a few times, Nelson/jennings/Driver. The aggressive DB play took away the slants that are bread and butter to the Packers too.

The Packers oline did a decent job protecting Rodgers considering that Clifton is still not in game shape and was switching series with Newhouse, BUT JPP did an amazing job forcing Rodgers to move to his left, making that cross body pass almost impossible. That strong bullrush that collapsed the pocket took away half of the field. There WERE guys open, but Rodgers couldnt get into a position to get the ball to them. So although the Giants didnt have a lot of sacks, they did a great job against a weak packers OL. hats off to them. Calling quite a few LB blitzes was very effective as well.

You could see the Packers running to try and set up play action deep, but the great job by the safeties in the cover 2 eliminated that opportunity. They were very strict, and it showed.

i dont even want to get into the turnovers. Sloppy play by the packers, and aggressive play by the Giants that wanted it more. teh Packers play against teh best ball-strippers in the league twice a year in teh bears, they should Oprahing know better and protect the ball.

MVPs= Giants offensive line, Giants d-line, Giants safeties. hell, Giants defense overall. Eli had all day to throw, and was throwing to open WRs, so I cant in good conscience have them as MVPs.

Congrats to the Giants.:tup::wacko: They came in and wanted it more and beat the Packers with a great gameplan, perfectly executed. If they play this well next week, then the 49ers have their hands full for sure.

I'm a Giant fan and an Eli fan. Do you realize that if the Giants (Eli) win the SB this year it gives Eli 2 wins and a great shot at induction in Canton.

Ask Jim Plunkett and Phil Simms how that works out.

Ask Jim Plunkett and Phil Simms how that works out.

Simms was injured in '90 vs. the Bills. Our QB was Jeff Hostetler.

I'm pretty sure Simms still holds the record for completion percentage in a SB though, 21 of 25 if I'm not mistaken. Of course nowadays that's a halftime stat.

Simms was injured in '90 vs. the Bills. Our QB was Jeff Hostetler.

I'm pretty sure Simms still holds the record for completion percentage in a SB though, 21 of 25 if I'm not mistaken. Of course nowadays that's a halftime stat.

Sure, he didn't START the SB but I'd argue that he was a key component on that '90 team - 11-3 as starting QB, best QB rating of his career.

Sit down with any NFL player, ask him what it means to be elite. A good answer would be, if I'm on the field getting interviewed by Bob Costas on Feb. 5 with confetti stuck to my face, I'm elite. Everyone else, whether they're in the locker room sulking because they just lost, or eliminated from contention 5 weeks ago, is not elite. The rest of it, I really think the vast majority of them care less about than we do. I think every time one of those questions comes up, they roll their eyes a little on the inside.

Finally, Trent Dilfer gets his due. Thank you. OK, it wasn't Bob Costas, but someone close enough.

eli will end up with much bigger , better numbers than both ...and possibly more than one ring

eli has great chance to make HOF if he can continue to play high level for another 4-6 years

Hopefully the step up in his stats that we saw this year will stay at this level if not increase. That and another SB win where Eli plays at a high level would make him a slam-dunk IMO. He may approach the consecutive game record too.

• 7 months later...