[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Milestone Birthdays

Big Country

Huddlers -

Out of curiosity, and to help settle a "healthy discussion" on the topic, what ages do you consider to be "milestone" birthdays. Your input will be shared, and to prevent any bias, I'll not provide any more details surrounding the nature/circumstances of said 'healthy discussion".

1, 10, 13, 16, 18, 21 every 10 especially 60, 70,

This.

And the bday guy/gal should be baking cupcakes for everyone at their work, retirement home, etc until they start losing it and using the wrong ingredients.

For kids, I think we tend to make a big deal out of certain birthdays, not because anything changes legally (in terms of what they can/can't do), but just because they're kids (and it's exciting to them). Examples:

1 - Pretty obvious, although at that age, they don't really understand what the fuss is all about. All they see is cake and frosting.

10 - Not sure this is a milestone, but it's sort of a big deal to reach double digits.

13 - Officially a "teenager"

16 - Able to drive

Others (and this certainly depends on the family or individual's interpretation):

18 - Adulthood (Ability to use tobacco, vote, gamble, join military, etc.)

21 - You can LEGALLY drink

30 - Nice round number that means you're getting old

40 - Nice round number that means you're getting older (this one is getting WAY too close for me) :tup:

50 - Nice round number that means it's all downhill from there :wacko:

60 - Nice round number that means you're getting even older

65 - Retirement / Social Security

After that, I think we tend to celebrate (or at least make a bigger deal) in 5-year increments, rather than 10 (75, 80, 85, etc.).

Edit: Just wanted to add that it seems like more and more people are retiring earlier than what used to be considered the "standard" (65), so although 65 is still a round numbered birthday to celebrate, it's not nearly as significant (in many cases) as celebrating the point at which the person actually retires.

Edited by Gopher

1, 10, 16, 18, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100+

Also, I was born on the 12th, and when I turned "12 on the 12th" my mom and aunts said that was a big deal. I've never heard anyone else say it's a milestone when your age matches your birthday.

1, 10, 16, 18, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100+

Also, I was born on the 12th, and when I turned "12 on the 12th" my mom and aunts said that was a big deal. I've never heard anyone else say it's a milestone when your age matches your birthday.

Yeah I never heard of it until I met my wife. They call it your "Golden Birthday". :wacko:

1 - Pretty obvious, although at that age, they don't really understand what the fuss is all about. All they see is cake and frosting.

10 - Not sure this is a milestone, but it's sort of a big deal to reach double digits.

13 - Officially a "teenager"

16 - Able to drive

18 - Adulthood (Ability to use tobacco, vote, gamble, join military, etc.)

21 - You can LEGALLY drink

30 - Nice round number that means you're getting old

40 - Nice round number that means you're getting older (this one is getting WAY too close for me) :tup:

50 - Nice round number that means it's all downhill from there :wacko:

60 - Nice round number that means you're getting even older

65 - Retirement / Social Security

After that, I think we tend to celebrate (or at least make a bigger deal) in 5-year increments, rather than 10 (75, 80, 85, etc.).

This.

It is interesting to see the difference in answers between the male dominated Huddle and my wife's female dominated facebook friends. Main difference is that a lot of them included the age 5 as a milestone (and my wife wanted to claim 7 as a milestone, as it sounds old).

I'll share this thread with her.