[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Flacco: "I'm the best QB in the NFL"

Bronco Billy

link

"I assume everybody thinks they're a top-five quarterback," Flacco said when asked where he thinks he ranks among NFL quarterbacks. "I mean, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'm top five, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'd be very successful at my job if I didn't feel that way. I mean, c'mon? That's not really too tough of a question.

"That doesn't mean that things are going to work out that way. It just means that's the way it is -- that's the way I feel that it is and that's the way I feel it should be."

:fool:

Well, those contract extension talks ought to go well...

I'm appreciative that he said that because I would have had no idea he was the best. I mean I would probably have struggled with "average" just going by his past results.

"I assume everybody thinks they're a top-five quarterback," Flacco said when asked where he thinks he ranks among NFL quarterbacks. "I mean, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'm top five, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'd be very successful at my job if I didn't feel that way. I mean, c'mon? That's not really too tough of a question.

"That doesn't mean that things are going to work out that way. It just means that's the way it is -- that's the way I feel that it is and that's the way I feel it should be."

===================================================================================================

What do you people think he should have said? "Nah, I'm not very good.... maybe middle of the pack.... I will probably never be very successful."

Sheeeesh!

After all the BS he is going to take about this I would hope he understands he should never answer inane questions.

You people are a really tough crowd.

• Like 1

===================================================================================================

What do you people think he should have said? "Nah, I'm not very good.... maybe middle of the pack.... I will probably never be very successful."

Sheeeesh!

After all the BS he is going to take about this I would hope he understands he should never answer inane questions.

Do you consider it a personal fault if a person recognizes that others have more ability or skill than oneself? His statement is nothing less than absurd, and he should have known that before he ever spoke.

Sheeeesh!

Was thinking the same thing... And these out-of-conext quotes get taken as if it's being said in a vaccum, like Flacco's running around yelling "I'm the greatest EVAH!!"

The question had to be something like "Do you consider yourself a top 5 quarterback?".

I mean, to be a professional athlete, you have to exude confidence, and it sure wouldn't look good as he's negotiations with the Raven for him to say, "Well, I don't even know if you can call me average, but I try my best anyway...". If you're the Ravens, which would you rather hear from your QB? Being overconfident or humble or apathetic about it? You ever heard the term, "you have to believe to achieve"?

Obviously it's clear that Flacco can read the numbers and has eyes. He's not delusional.

Hugh shocker that Bronco Billy is waiting to hold his out-of-context quote against him though.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Sheeeesh!

Gotta agree here. "I think I'm the best." - He has to sell himself to himself and then go out and play with that pumped up ego, while letting his therapist help bring him back to Earth using his stats in the offseason. Rinse and repeat per season.

Obviously it's clear that Flacco can read the numbers and has eyes. He's not delusional.

Hugh shocker that Bronco Billy is waiting to hold his out-of-context quote against him though.

What exactly is out of context? He was asked if he thought he was a top 5 QB, and he replied that he was the best in the league. Better than Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees - in his own opinion, he's better than any of them. And that question was asked because of the claim that his agent put out earlier. No one was trying to trap him, and this wasn't anything that came out of nowhere.

What, you think I was laying in ambush of this turd just to take his direct quote in response to a direct question out of context? Where the hell is the lack of context? Seriously, what is wrong with you? You're that hot to put me down that you're willing to get on board with Flacco on this? I know you're not that dumb. Jesus - get some freakin help.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If your team doesn't have a QB who thinks he's the best inthe NFL then you don't have a vey good QB.

Consider: Brady thinks he's the best; Manning thinks he's the best; Rodgers thinks he's the best; Cutler thinks he's the best; Flacco thinks he's the best, Rivers thinks hea the best, etc... So what? Do you think you're the best at hating on someone who can at least be an NFL qb? If not you dont realize you're own potetnial and talent. I'm no Ravens fan but he makes the playoffs:

By starting in two playoff games in 2009, Flacco earned the record for most starts by a quarterback in the first two seasons in NFL history (37).[1] Flacco became just the fourth quarterback to bring his team to the playoffs in his first four seasons, and is the first to win a game in each.

You guys are the best armchair quarterbacks, natch!

You know what? Good for him. And good for you guys. Don't twist an ankle getting out of yor Lay Z Boys.

Edited by Pope Flick

This is actually a cultural phenomenon. In the US most of the (top) athletes will say (and maybe also believe) that they are the best, and unless it is a completely ridiculous claim you seem like a winner type (see Eli last year and Flacco this year).

In Europe it is consensus that you talk yourself down and opponents and teammates up. Other wise you seem like arrogant POS, and that is also they way the media will portray you.

It is actually quite interesting IMO.

Watched a documentary on rappers many a year ago, and someone said

"Everyone who raps, thinks they are the best rapper alive. Why else would you be here? You are kidding yourself if you think you can be successful and say to myself, I'm not that good."

He not only has to sell himself to the league and the fans, he has to sell himself to himself. Image is everything in our current culture (sadly), so illusions are necessary.

And yet you keep at it.

So this is on me? I posted a direct quote - completely in context, mind you, despite the accusations that I somehow truncated the quote to intentionally misinterpret what Flacco's intent was - that Flacco is stating outright that he feels he is the best QB in the league. As soon as I do, I get excoriated for ambushing Flacco. How exactly does that work? Is there any rational evidence that remotely supports Flacco's statement and therefore that I am way out of line for simply posting what appears to be a completely absurd public statement like that? Is there any reasonable justification that Flacco should feel that he's better then guys like Rodgers, Brees, Brady, either Manning, among arguably several others, and that I'm simply attacking Flacco irresponsibly?

It seems to me that Flacco is either completely delusional and does not remotely recognize his shortcomings - which is hardly commendable, or that he feels he deserves to get an $18M a year/5 year contract so that he gets compensated like the top QBs in the league. Either way, he's way out of line. Do you have any evidence to support a contrary position?

Let's get back to what this MB used to be - a discussion, and possibly arguments, on the merits of the statement instead of a dogpile on the guy who posted the information. I'm ready to be persuaded. Support the argument that Flacco is in fact the best QB in the league and convince me that I'm wrong.

Edited by Bronco Billy

So this is on me? I posted a direct quote - completely in context, mind you, despite the accusations that I somehow truncated the quote to intentionally misinterpret what Flacco's intent was - that Flacco is stating outright that he feels he is the best QB in the league. As soon as I do, I get excoriated for ambushing Flacco. How exactly does that work? Is there any rational evidence that remotely supports Flacco's statement and therefore that I am way out of line for simply posting what appears to be a completely absurd public statement like that? Is there any reasonable justification that Flacco should feel that he's better then guys like Rodgers, Brees, Brady, either Manning, among arguably several others, and that I'm simply attacking Flacco irresponsibly?

It seems to me that Flacco is either completely delusional and does not remotely recognize his shortcomings - which is hardly commendable, or that he feels he deserves to get an $18M a year/5 year contract so that he gets compensated like the top QBs in the league. Either way, he's way out of line. Do you have any evidence to support a contrary position?

Let's get back to what this MB used to be - a discussion, and possibly arguments, on the merits of the statement instead of a dogpile on the guy who posted the information. I'm ready to be persuaded. Support the argument that Flacco is in fact the best QB in the league and convince me that I'm wrong.

Listening to the interview, Flacco sounded like he was trying to project confidence, not arrogance. Yes, he's in negotiations for a new contract. Plus, he's also one of the leaders of his team, who like all of us, hear the soundbytes and read press clippings. Flacco has to exhibit complete confidence at all times. He cannot have any of his teammates who are going to go out and block and get hit for him, have doubts about him. Flacco was asked a direct question, and what was he supposed to say? Nah, I don't think I'm that good or let me check my weekly rankings Well, if that's his style, then that's fine, but it's not, so he tried to project absolute confidence. I really don't look at it as a delusional statement, but more so a confidence statement for himself like the ones you listen to on self-help tapes where you keep reaffirming yourself that you're awesome, and as silly as that might sound, sometimes what you believe is what you become.

Remember when everyone was jumping on Michael Vick's case when he said he thought he was a top five QB when he was still backing up McNabb in 2009? I thought he was delusional, and then the next November when he had that incredible Monday Night game where he threw four TD passes and ran for two TD vs. the Washington Redskins, I was speechless. It told me that when Vick was in jail, despite all the crap that he did, Vick never stopped believing in himself, which was the most essential thing for him to make it back.

I'm not saying that Flacco is in the top five, but I think that if you want to be the best in anything, you start by believing that you are. That's not to say, you still don't have to work and improve, but becoming elite often begins with belief in yourself. Flacco may have said he was top five (however, you measure that - stats, playoff appearances, rings), but I think what he really was saying is that I believe in myself, so that means I want my team to believe in me too, the owner and the city.

Edited by electricrelish