[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye Minnesota Vikings

Savage Beatings

In LA, if you don't have your own car and drive a hundred miles a day (commute, errands) you are in the minority. Although even there, mass transit is much more widely used than some other cities.

The LA mass transit system is terrible. I have yet to find a convienent use for it, even when sitting in traffic on the 405. None of the stops seem to be set up for business travelers.

Edited by jetsfan

Some other really interesting stuff in here around revenue sharing between players and owners, the role of Personal Seat Licenses squeezing out the average fan, and the badge value of being a "big city". Worth a read.

Soldier Field was built - in part - by Personal Seat Licenses ("PSL") and it has squeezed the average fan right out of the stadium. When these PSL were first offered in 2006 they went for $1,200 to $3,500 per seat. Now the Bears have a PSL auction site that offers PSLs sold by individual owners for $3,000 to $85,000 A PIECE! (I sh*t you not).

Are the Vikings considering PSLs to pay for the stadium? If so, I would buy them if you can afford them.

Edited by White lightning

Are the Vikings considering PSLs to pay for the stadium? If so, I would buy them if you can afford them.

I don't believe that is part of the package. Although at this point they have pretty much had every option on and off the table at various times, and it's hard to keep track of where they currently are with a funding package.

Today Governor Dayton vetoed the Republican Tax Relief bill. That was the bill that Republican Speaker Zellers said he wanted the Governor to support in order to get more Republican cooperation on the Stadium bill. :(

Dayton was right to do that. It was a giveaway for nothing and would make a hugh hole in the next biennial budget as well as empty the reserves. The stadium vote Monday will, I think, pass but only barely.

Dayton was right to do that. It was a giveaway for nothing and would make a hugh hole in the next biennial budget as well as empty the reserves. The stadium vote Monday will, I think, pass but only barely.

I would have to agree by reading this from the Strib:

The Republican-controlled Legislature marked this bill as one of their top priorities this year. They argued that freezing property taxes for businesses and cabin owners, sweetening tax credits for startups and other business-friendly improvements would do more to create jobs than bills Dayton is supporting. Those include a new stadium for the Minnesota Vikings and a statewide capital projects bill.

I wonder how many politicians own a lake cabin and how the heck would that create jobs?

This Zellers guy is a complete SNICKERStard. He said something like "i hope the bill passes but I won't be voting for it". I read a response to that stupidity I thought was pretty good."..I hope you win re-election but I won't be voting for you."

SNICKERStard.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

This Zellers guy is a complete SNICKERStard. He said something like "i hope the bill passes but I won't be voting for it". I read a response to that stupidity I thought was pretty good."..I hope you win re-election but I won't be voting for you."

SNICKERStard.

:lol: That is awesome!

I would have to agree by reading this from the Strib:

The Republican-controlled Legislature marked this bill as one of their top priorities this year. They argued that freezing property taxes for businesses and cabin owners, sweetening tax credits for startups and other business-friendly improvements would do more to create jobs than bills Dayton is supporting. Those include a new stadium for the Minnesota Vikings and a statewide capital projects bill.

I wonder how many politicians own a lake cabin and how the heck would that create jobs?

I remember hearing on one of the AM morning talk radio shows (the Davis and Emmer show for you local who are interested) that freezing the business taxes for those two entities would amount to nothing, and they couldn't believe the MN repubs would even think this was a good idea. And that was from a republican supporter who hosts the show morning show. Basically he has lambasted the MN republicans for a complete and utter lack of leadership and failure to rally anyone to their causes when they had perfect opportunities to do so.

The only problem is there are way too many stupid people who think along the lines "If that's what the party I support wants, then it must be right."

I remember hearing on one of the AM morning talk radio shows (the Davis and Emmer show for you local who are interested) that freezing the business taxes for those two entities would amount to nothing, and they couldn't believe the MN repubs would even think this was a good idea. And that was from a republican supporter who hosts the show morning show. Basically he has lambasted the MN republicans for a complete and utter lack of leadership and failure to rally anyone to their causes when they had perfect opportunities to do so.

The only problem is there are way too many stupid people who think along the lines "If that's what the party I support wants, then it must be right."

Says an apparent non-owner of a business. There also appear to be way too people who simply don't have an iota of sense and want to blame everything on the other political side. Raising taxes into a weak economy is the last thing you want to do. It either cuts already small margins or forces business owners to raise prices to cover the increases and maintain their margin. The first causes businesses to lay off people and utlimately close, the second makes products less desirable, which decreases sales and ultimately ends up in the first scenario. You don't have to be a rocket surgeon or a conservative to figure that out.

Small businesses - like the mulitudes of resort owners with all those cabins in MIN - have their margins disproportionately affected by increased taxation, since they generally run on smaller margins to begin with.

Politicians need to decrease spending, plain and simple, and benefit people by 1) providing more expendable income which benefits the entire economy,and 2) getting further out of peoples/businesses lives. The golden goose is dead. Politicians killed it. Their spending is far outstripping revenues, they refuse to rein in programs despite the fact that they will soon be insolvent, and they allow tons of waste, duplicity, and corruption to exist on the public's dime. Their answer? We HAVE to spend more.

Virtually any measure that controls government right now is an improvement.

Sorry about going so far off topic, but your response deserved a rebuttal.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Like last year, I dont see much anything getting accomplished. Our democratic governor is vetoing every one of the republican led legislatures top priority bills, yet he wants them to approve his top priority: the stadium bill.

Our democratic governor should be vetoing those bills. The republican legislature is trying to put through many bills that support their misguided priorities. They have accomplished nothing for the last two years. If the stadium bill is turned down by the republicans, there will be a large majority of those "leaders" voted out in the November election.

Our democratic governor should be vetoing those bills. The republican legislature is trying to put through many bills that support their misguided priorities. They have accomplished nothing for the last two years. If the stadium bill is turned down by the republicans, there will be a large majority of those "leaders" voted out in the November election.

So, there has been a ten year process where control of the government branches has shifted between the parties but has tended towards the dominant party, in a State were the DFL still is the predominant party, and you will fix blame exclusively on the minority party during that time.

Do you lay any blame here outside of the elected officials in the State government to those in Municipal and County government who have wrangled so much? Do you place any at the feet of the downtown Minneapolis money cabal who were going to torpedo any proposal, no matter its sense, if it did not keep the stadium in Minneapolis?

Do you place any at the feet of the downtown Minneapolis money cabal who were going to torpedo any proposal, no matter its sense, if it did not keep the stadium in Minneapolis?

Yes I do blame them for not wanting to see the team anywhere else and not having the votes for it themselves until recently.

So, there has been a ten year process where control of the government branches has shifted between the parties but has tended towards the dominant party, in a State were the DFL still is the predominant party, and you will fix blame exclusively on the minority party during that time.

Do you lay any blame here outside of the elected officials in the State government to those in Municipal and County government who have wrangled so much? Do you place any at the feet of the downtown Minneapolis money cabal who were going to torpedo any proposal, no matter its sense, if it did not keep the stadium in Minneapolis?

Yep-plenty of blame to go ALL around. :furious:

Of this I am certain, just as I was when the disgraceful Humperdome went up 30 years ago. Jamming a football stadium into a space the size of the current one will not allow for a venue that can be competitive in the current NFL market. Current stadiums need parking, they need atriums, bars, restaurants, exhibit space, and gear and memorabilia shops. Fantasies about transportation oriented development and folks taking mass transit to a game remain just that, fantasy. This thing could work downtown but it needs triple the space. Anything less and the Vikings will be looking to get out of the lease in 5 years as their revenue streams will just not remain competitive. Right now Minnesotans are looking at a flawed compromise plan. This entire efort has been pennywise and pound foolish nearly from inception.

Says an apparent non-owner of a business. There also appear to be way too people who simply don't have an iota of sense and want to blame everything on the other political side. Raising taxes into a weak economy is the last thing you want to do. It either cuts already small margins or forces business owners to raise prices to cover the increases and maintain their margin. The first causes businesses to lay off people and utlimately close, the second makes products less desirable, which decreases sales and ultimately ends up in the first scenario. You don't have to be a rocket surgeon or a conservative to figure that out.

Small businesses - like the mulitudes of resort owners with all those cabins in MIN - have their margins disproportionately affected by increased taxation, since they generally run on smaller margins to begin with.

Politicians need to decrease spending, plain and simple, and benefit people by 1) providing more expendable income which benefits the entire economy,and 2) getting further out of peoples/businesses lives. The golden goose is dead. Politicians killed it. Their spending is far outstripping revenues, they refuse to rein in programs despite the fact that they will soon be insolvent, and they allow tons of waste, duplicity, and corruption to exist on the public's dime. Their answer? We HAVE to spend more.

Virtually any measure that controls government right now is an improvement.

Sorry about going so far off topic, but your response deserved a rebuttal.

If anyone was actually talking about raising taxes on businesses, you might have at least some kind of point. As it is, no-one is, therefore you don't.

If those guys were ripping a GOP plan, then the plan has to be complete crap. I'm starting to blame MN GOP more than 50% (and I haven't voted for MN DFL since my sophomore year at the UofM - 1997).

If those guys were ripping a GOP plan, then the plan has to be complete crap. I'm starting to blame MN GOP more than 50% (and I haven't voted for MN DFL since my sophomore year at the UofM - 1997).

Perhaps its time for a change for you.

Of this I am certain, just as I was when the disgraceful Humperdome went up 30 years ago. Jamming a football stadium into a space the size of the current one will not allow for a venue that can be competitive in the current NFL market. Current stadiums need parking, they need atriums, bars, restaurants, exhibit space, and gear and memorabilia shops. Fantasies about transportation oriented development and folks taking mass transit to a game remain just that, fantasy. This thing could work downtown but it needs triple the space. Anything less and the Vikings will be looking to get out of the lease in 5 years as their revenue streams will just not remain competitive. Right now Minnesotans are looking at a flawed compromise plan. This entire efort has been pennywise and pound foolish nearly from inception.

It works in Baltimore for the Orioles! Oh wait... that's because they're... the Orioles... :weird::doh:

Not at all. where in his post does it say anything about raising taxes?

It specifically mentioned freezing property taxes for a particular group or groups. Most people realize that that same statement would also assume that taxes would be raised on those same groups otherwise freezing would not have to happen. At least that is what I took from what Bronco Billy was saying??

It specifically mentioned freezing property taxes for a particular group or groups. Most people realize that that same statement would also assume that taxes would be raised on those same groups otherwise freezing would not have to happen. At least that is what I took from what Bronco Billy was saying??

That's exacty correct - unless I misinterpretted and the GOP is proposing to freeze taxes in the face of Dems lowering them. Of course, that's about as likely as the Vikings winning the Lombardi trophy. Not sure what you were reading, UM.