[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye Minnesota Vikings

Savage Beatings

As classy as the post by Ditkaless Wonders. Why people cannot leave their homerism out of some discussions is beyond me. The Vikings (despite all the BS that DW posted) are a storied franchise with a long history. I've listened to Steeler fans make the same dumb remarks if people say the Browns are storied franchise. "How many SB have you won?" Duh none there were NFL championships before that, and all of of their success (back in the 90s when this was happening) were 20 plus years ago.

Storied franchise to me is a team that's been around for 50+ years, and has a strong fan base, and some amount of succes.

back to the point...

Do the Wilfs want to sell? Can the NFL force them to sell? Just because a deal isn't done soon does not mean the Vikings are gone in 2013. Can they even move/sell in that time frame, and get owner/league approval?

Grow a pair - my god have people become nannies. The dog comment I am sure was a joke and I am sure Ditkaless was making a jab.

Ok Viking fans. Let's say they do end up moving. Where does your fan allegiance go now? Do you stick with the displaced team or adopt a different one? If so who? At this point I don't blame Zygi for moving the team. Ownership has tried for years to get something done and the politicians have been worthless. I'd probably follow them in their new location. Not sure if I'd feel differently if I hadn't already left the area myself 10+ yrs ago. I guess I could adopt the local Cardinals. At least their games are always on local tv, though I barely watch them. It just doesn't seem right to make a change after 30+ yrs of bleeding purple.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Ok Viking fans. Let's say they do end up moving. Where does your fan allegiance go now? Do you stick with the displaced team or adopt a different one? If so who? At this point I don't blame Zygi for moving the team. Ownership has tried for years to get something done and the politicians have been worthless. I'd probably follow them in their new location. Not sure if I'd feel differently if I hadn't already left the area myself 10+ yrs ago. I guess I could adopt the local Cardinals. At least their games are always on local tv, though I barely watch them. It just doesn't seem right to make a change after 30+ yrs of bleeding purple.

Green Bay is the next closest franchise, so that would make the most sense. They're really good too, so it's a no-brainer really.

There's room on the Chiefs bandwagon. 7 hour drive to Arrowhead.

The Twins fans have been coming here for years.

That would be like a Giants fan suddenly rooting for the Cowboys.

But the Cowboys are a tool of Satan. The Packers had Lombardi, Favre, all those trophies, now you've got Rodgers there...there's a lot to like, honestly. I would totally root for them if something happened to the Giants.

Detroit...its the only NFC North team I dont hate. Plus they haven't won anything either so it would be picking up where I left off with the Vikes. The team colors and mascot is cool and who knows now might be the time to jump on that wagon!

I honestly don't think you can make that decision ahead of time... It just happens. I have no idea what I would do... Like you, I haven't lived in MN in 10+ years, but I can't say that my allegiance to them is any less, having moved. I was born bleeding purple, and there's not much I can do about it. I currently live in the middle of nowhere... 70 miles south of Canada, near the ND/MT border. So, there is no local team to adopt. My guess is that it wouldn't be an immediate transition/decision. I would probably continue to follow them, but it might be a case where my interest in the team would lessen as time went by, simply because they weren't in MN any more. Eventually, I might adopt a new team to follow... Not by conscious decision, but rather just gravitate to a team I felt myself pulling for. Or, I might not... who knows. I might just not have a team to follow, which I'm guessing would cause me to follow the NFL less than I do now (which might not necessarily be a bad thing).

it was joke...

I could have been much meaner...

You could have indeed. There is nothing wrong with pushing back a bit when something or someone about whom you are passionate is assailed. I took no offense. After all I invited abuse so it would be rude not to accept it.

There's room on the Chiefs bandwagon. 7 hour drive to Arrowhead.

The Twins fans have been coming here for years.

And the experience at your stadium is first rate. The fans are great and friendly even to opposing fans. The tailgating is awesome and the folks out there are happy to share.

And the experience at your stadium is first rate. The fans are great and friendly even to opposing fans. The tailgating is awesome and the folks out there are happy to share.

This is true. I was out there when Ryan Leaf was qbing and the fans there were the best. Even sharing food and drink. I wore a Leaf jersey and took a little good natured ribbing and that was it. If it wasn't raining so hard that you could barely see the field I'd rank it as my #1 stadium experience. Love those fans!

For me, it would be a lot like when the North Stars left. I tried to follow them for another season, but couldn't make it through the year before I stopped caring about them. I was still getting CBC so I was watching more and more Montreal games and since I had liked the team back in the day when Bobby Smith (one of my favorite NHLers) played for them I transitioned to having Montreal as my favorite team. The thing is, there's no one player in the NFL that I really like more than any other that would make me cheer for the team they play for, so my hunch is I wouldn't have any allegiance to any team. And along those lines, it may become something akin to what Savage is saying in the sense that I wouldn't care about football all that much anymore and would probably stop playing fantasy as well.

Then again, if I draft Calvin and Stafford again this year and they play like last season I could easily become a Lions fan......................from one underacheiving team to the next. :woot:

By all accounts, Minnesota's political leaders received a clear message Friday morning in a meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Pittsburgh Steelers president/co-owner Art Rooney.

"This is it, folks," Gov. Mark Dayton said during a post-meeting news conference.

"They served us a reality check," state Sen. Julie Rosen said.

"Things will have to be moving a little bit more quickly," House Speaker Kurt Zellers said.

"The writing is on the wall," Dayton added.

Legislators from both houses and parties emerged with clear marching orders: Revive a stadium bill that died in a committee earlier this week or face the departure of the franchise. Goodell said he made "no implied threats or any threats at all," but in reality he didn't need to. As we discussed Thursday, the team and league are giving the state another 10 or so days of exclusivity before opening the door to relocation alternatives.

That in itself wouldn't lead to relocation, but it would put Minnesota in competition with other municipalities for the first time in the 10-plus year battle on this issue.

The legislative leaders offered different recollections of the extent to which the Los Angeles market was discussed, especially after reports that owner Zygi Wilf's plane was spotted in Southern California, where he often visits to maintain real estate investments. But Rosen, one of the bill authors, said Goodell answered a question about the subject by "clearly" labeling it "an open market" and pointing out that the Vikings "do have the right to move or be sold."

Focus now shifts to the Minnesota Senate, where the bill will be heard in a committee Friday afternoon while parallel efforts to revive it in the Minnesota House are underway. But the larger question is not whether state leaders agree on the issue. It's how effective they can be, or how willing they are, in strong-arming enough dissenters into pushing the bill to a vote of full membership.

From what I understand, the Vikings feel confident that enough legislators will vote for the bill if it makes to that level. That makes the next seven-10 days the most important in the history of the franchise. Stay tuned.

link

Edited by BillyBalata