[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seriously?

gbpfan1231

I'm not saying I haven't been guilty of this plenty of times here, but you have to admit that thread could have been gunned about any time in the last several pages. It was only a matter of time.

I think enough of us are big enough dicks, often enough that we leave them little choice. Sure, there are other sites that are more wide open in terms of what flies, but they end up being crapholes primarily for that reason.

I have no idea what the kicker was, but does it really matter? That thread had turned into nothing but a pissing match, so it was about time. Again, I'm not saying I don't get caught up in that sort of crap basically all the time. Just saying that when it gets to that point, I figure it's only a matter of time before the thing gets shut down and, frankly, it's about 3 pages after me and whatever dude I'm arguing with should have given up and moved on.

I'm not saying I haven't been guilty of this plenty of times here, but you have to admit that thread could have been gunned about any time in the last several pages. It was only a matter of time.

But a thread called Bushwacked is Right, shouldn't be gunned without being bumped to the top of the page several times. So, I understand the mods decision. Respect! :chest bump:

• Like 1

Make a crack about Bushwacked and making out with men and it gets locked.

Is that why it got locked?

They were worried you might say something that isn't true.

Sorry - been busy with rankings and projections and football stuff. Not familiar since I did not lock it but let me see if I can figure out why anyone would want to lock that thread.

First

Terms of Use

Be respectful of ALL other posters. Personal attacks of any kind are not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Even if you disagree with someone's view, you should still show respect to that person. This is not a virtual schoolyard for fights and name-calling.

(First thing actually)

.... blah blah...

...Do not attempt to form these forums to fit you.

Okay.

I've asked for no political things here for about 15 years now. Been as consistent as I can with that since we have long ago established no one is for anything, they are merely against things so it's all negative and personal and such almost immediately. Let's compare that to the post.

Thread break-down

1. Starts out by title as a slam to another person. Have to assume this is related to something else that was locked or deleted. Have to guess sole purpose of this is to make Bushwacked look bad so personal attack and political all in one. Deleteable from the start! Where do you go from here?

2. Bushwacked responds without being negative for maybe just the third time of his 26,080 posts. Although by his name he identifies himself as being negative about politics so you have to wonder how to get past that. I know he was being a smart ass and all, but I am almost disappointed there is no negativety and no slamming conservatives, republicans, George Bush, etc. I have to stop here before I get all weepy...

3. gbfan responds with "No comment - thread will be locked if I say what I am thinking." Chances on him refraining in the long run, according to my decades of moderation experience, pretty much absolute zero.

4. Stevegrab chimes in. New to the scene last year, posts alot and seems to show up in political posts. Makes a negative statement of sorts but then derides both parties. While negative, it is less inciteful because he slams both parties

5. Caddyman kicks in. I honestly forget which side you guys hate sometimes but judging by his avatar of Bush he is a conservative. He calls out stevegrab for being too general instead of focusing on Wisconsin. This freaks me out because caddyman has been sort of old school negative in the past. It reminds me of My Cousin Vinny when the judge says "Mr. Gambini, that is a cogent, well thought-out, intelligent objection. Overruled."

6. stevegrab again. HOLY FREAKING (#(*&$(! Thoughtful. Does not mention anyone in a negative manner. It's like a constructed argument that weighs facts and makes oMbservations but not really like "you suck" observations. I may need to rethink stevegrab's place on the board totem pole.

7. gbfan1231 back to say his belief it is much worse in WIS than stevegrab says because of "lies and excuses" to get a guy out the liberals don't like. This is not that bad all things considered. Sidenote - any thread using the term "liberal" or "conservative" will be heading to the toilet in due time.

8. bushwacked comes back - there you go buddy! Back to rule #1 of the Terms of Use.

I'm dissapointed you didn't get hastey

Spazzing all out and acting so pastey

Classic. No bearing on anything in the argument, apparently a personal attack since it was directed back to gbfan. Like when a discussion starts in a library, just slamming a book down, pointing at your crotch and yelling "But what about the children, bitches?" What? What did he say? What the hell?

9. Yukon comes in. Simple emoticon to make fun of stevegrab as apparently Yukon disagrees that the democrats want things to look worse than they are. It's just an emoticon so you have to read into it. But I am thinking stevegrab wasn't trying to be funny.

10. Stevegrab with the "I do not understand" emoticon for Yukon. At least the political bickering is down to little emoticons on one line.

11. gbfan - tells stevegrab that the others won't respond to his emoticon since they have nothing more to add. I got more than a page to go so I am thinking they came up with something.

12. Bpwallace - frames the argument a little differently. Takes the stance of saying it is the fault of the "far far right" which is how these things usually spin out. Like centrifugal force, political arguments seek to cast one or both sides as extreme. Which is problematic of course. He refers to sconny which I do not know what it is. Not a girl's name since it is not capitalized. But stands on it is all Walker's fault.

13. gbfan - Asks "Please tell us how he could have avoided it AND still have the results that we have had?" Not all together a bad reply. Asking for information to support bpwallace's contention.

14. bpwallace apparently getting emotional. Apparently unions caved on all the fiscal parts which I guess was enough. But then calls the governor a dick. Even used the word "dickish" and I am not sure it is a word but I know what it would mean. A little pissy but not overly personal. But temperature is rising.

15. gbfan - says he never said dickish which is a word I am going to start using anyway. Tries to explain himself to bpwallace. More indepth now, less emotional but I am guessing because gbfan's side won before.

16. BPwallace - starts out with a cuff to the head of gbfan. Worked in a laughing emoticon for that "you idiot" flavor. Still throwing around "dicks" he explains how if Walker acted like a leader (instead of a dick I am guessing) that the recall would not have happened. I am not that up on this though so best I can gather is that Walker should have done some of what he wanted and compromised on other stuff and not been a dick. Now Walker "went far far right into lala land and decided to crush the opposing party publicly" (as opposed to privately) and has therefore lost independents. I still do not understand personally but again - not up on Wisconsin politics to be honest. Ends with another "you idiot" laughing emoticon and refers to Tossberg being a fellow idiot I guess though he has not posted in the thread.

17.Gbfan - there you are! Offers counter-argument and includes "And quit being a frickin doushe with all the stupid laughing icons and the twin crap." so I was not the only one to notice. Ends with Bushy reference which I guess is a slam to Bushwacked. (moderator theoretical question - if two people think each other is an idiot and there is zero chance of anyone changing their views, why play nonstop political pingpong that is mostly sniping and entirely about the "other guy"?).

18. bpwallace - Again with the ignorance thing. The post drips with sarcasm and condescension as he yet again has to talk down to someone who never gets it. This fact never seems to get in the way of a reply but could it be perseverance because he wants to show Gbfan the light and the truth? They could become fast friends. Call up Bushwacked and Caddyman and take their picture at Disneyland all riding the teacup ride. Probably not going to happen. But a moderator can dream.

19. GBfan notices the condescending part too. Wants to know how Walker could have done things and not looked like a jelly bean. I have got to change the filters again. Not liking the candy theme. Coming back for more. Far as I can tell, GBfan does not believe he has received any credible information while bpwallace is sick of constantly providing it. This is not heading for a handshake.

20. Gbfan takes his shot at condencension with a refernce to the fantasy world of BPWallace. You guys spend a lot of time talking to each other. And yet not saying much apparently,.

21. bpwallace back - sarcastically does with gbfan did in 20 but turns it all around. Hard to believe this is the same person they are talking about. Now that both sides have cast each other to the extreme other side, I cannot help but wonder where Bushwacked went and what that poem meant.

22. gbfan - regardless that neither person hears anything the other says, tries to lay down his version. Now he is schooling bpwallace. Imagine a car trip with these guys. Writes a lot and offers some info. Actually sounds like he is trying to yet again make bpwallace see the light that he just is not going to see the same. Seriously, amazing the back and forth with zero movement by anyone.

23. borge shows up and takes a side. No idea who Barrett is but apparently he is the side everyone should be for.

24. gbfan must find this to be like crack cocaine. Comes back and slams liberals by number. Remember mentioning them before" And we have reached the toilet. In my experience, calling others hypocrites, clueless and humorless does not make friends or influence people. Or change their minds.

25. stevegrab back. Kind of glad to see someone new. Throws down both parties suck again. Says "I kind of regret getting involved in this thread, and know things are only going to get more heated leading up to tomorrow's election." Thanks, I am looking forward to that.... not.

26. gbfan points out to stevegrab that yukon is a teacher and therefore using the emoticon against him.

27. SEC-UGA - just says three more years. I assume that means walker is winning. Because we need someone new to the thread with a dixie cup of gasoline.

28. gbfan - still on about yukon.

29. gbfan - slams liberals. I think he has this thread bookmarked.

30. tosberg34 - this must be the toss twin thing. Ah - just shows up to insult Yukon.

31. stevegrab - offers personal experience about voter ID.

32. gbfan - takes stevegrabs statement and that becomes disgusting lies by liberals

33. Bushwack is back!!! Pastey apparently refers to cheeseheads somehow. Quotes some commercial. and gives thumbs up emoticon. Safe to assume it was against Walker. And/or pastey people.

34. Stevegrab - Like a hall monitor tries to get both sides to stop running so fast.

35. gbfan - as a counter to bushwacks attempt to show how evil the repubs are, uses other examples to show how evil democrats are. By this point it is very apparent that no one is listening to Stevegrab.

36. Bushwacked - not sure but slamming a cheezehead about his bumpersticker.

37. gbfan - AH - must have been about gbfan with the bumpersticker thing. Retort that sets this all back on track is "I will bet it is less than the number of times you have made out with men. "

There were small moments of clarity and discussion but as always obliterated by the perpetual and non-changing stances of the two sides. This thread was entirely negative, was constantly political and attacking other people. everythning is cast to extremes. It could have been locked at any number of places including thread #1. It was not locked because of #37 - well it could have. I did not personally do it so not sure. Lame? You guys go back and forth 37 times insulting each other, never changing your position, never listening to each other and knowing that what you are doing is not allowed.

I did not write the above to be insulting to those who participated and I apologize if I did. It was a mostly tongue in cheek look at what I see as a moderator. There are any number of posters that could have been involved and were not this time.

I am pretty sick of being called out about it. If I met any one of you guys we could be friends. Come over and eat BBQ. Talk football. Go shooting, fishing or whatever. I would suspect that you are all, in the light of day, good people. But on a message board things change. I have addressed political things many times in the past and tried to appease people towards that end but it never matters. Some of you know exactly what I have done in the past and that did not matter did it? You could have had your world but you wanted other things instead.

Wish it were possible for people to discuss politics rationally and actually be FOR something instead of just against something. Never going to happen. Fifteen years - not going to happen. Pissing matches. Pure negativity. No one changes their mind. Board becomes over run with political bullies who really just want to hear their own voices and make it the kind of place they want it to be to the detriment of the whole. Our board has long had that exact reputation.

So - back to football for me. Hope you'll refrain from negative political discussions.

I've asked for no political things here for about 15 years now. Been as consistent as I can with that since we have long ago established no one is for anything, they are merely against things so it's all negative and personal

Dammit DMD, that's just a damn lie - I am on record as being stridently pro-fellatio.

Preferably from a woman.

Edited by Chavez

Sorry - been busy with rankings and projections and football stuff. Not familiar since I did not lock it but let me see if I can figure out why anyone would want to lock that thread.

First

Okay.

I've asked for no political things here for about 15 years now. Been as consistent as I can with that since we have long ago established no one is for anything, they are merely against things so it's all negative and personal and such almost immediately. Let's compare that to the post.

Thread break-down

1. Starts out by title as a slam to another person. Have to assume this is related to something else that was locked or deleted. Have to guess sole purpose of this is to make Bushwacked look bad so personal attack and political all in one. Deleteable from the start! Where do have to go from here?

2. Bushwacked responds without being negative for maybe the third time of his 26,080 posts. Although by his name he identifies himself as being negative about politics so you have to wonder how to get past that. I know he was being a smart ass and all, but I am almost disappointed there is no negativety and no slamming conservatives, republicans, George Bush, etc. I have to stop here before I get all weepy...

3. gbfan responds with "No comment - thread will be locked if I say what I am thinking." Chances on that happening in the long run, according to my decades of moderation experience, pretty much absolute zero.

4. Stevegrab chimes in. New to the scene last year, posts alot and seems to show up in political posts. Makes a negative statement of sorts but then derides both parties. While negative, it is less inciteful because he slams both parties

5. Caddyman kicks in. I honestly forget which side you guys hate sometimes but judging by his avatar of Bush he is a conservative. He calls out stevegrab for being too general instead of focusing on Wisconsin. This freaks me out because caddyman has been sort of old school negative in the past. It reminds me of My Cousin Vinny when the judge says "r. Gambini, that is a cogent, well thought-out, intelligent objection. Overruled."

6. stevegrab again. HOLY FREAKING (#(*&$(! Thoughtful. Does not mention anyone in a negative manner. It's like a constructed argument that weighs facts and makes oMbservations but not really like "you suck" observations. I may need to rethink stevegrab's place on the board totem pole.

7. gbfan1231 back to say his belief it is much worse in WIS than stevegrab says because of "lies and excuses" to get a guy out the liberals don't like. This is not that bad all things considered. Sidenote - any thread using the term "liberal" or "conservative" will be heading to the toilet in due time.

8. bushwacked comes back - there you go buddy! Back to rule #1 of the Terms of Use.

Classic. No bearing on anything in the argument, apparently a personal attack since it was directed back to gbfan. Like when a discussion starts in a library, just slamming a book down, pointing at your crotch and yelling "But what about the children, bitches?" What? What did he say? What the hell?

9. Yukon comes in. Simple emoticon to make fun of stevegrab as apparently Yukon disagrees that the democrats want things to look worse than they are. It's just an emoticon so you have to read into it. But I am thinking stevegrab wasn't trying to be funny.

10. Stevegrab with the "I do not understand" emoticon for Yukon. At least the political bickering is down to little emoticons on one line.

11. gbfan - tells stevegrab that the others won't respond to his emoticon since they have nothing more to add. I got more than a page to go so I am thinking they came up with something.

12. Bpwallace - frames the argument a little differently. Takes the stance of saying it is the fault of the "far far right" which is how these things usually spin out. Like centrifugal force, political arguments seek to cast one or both sides as extreme. Which is problematic of course. He refers to sconny which I do not know what it is. Not a girl's name since it is not capitalized. But stands on it is all Walker's fault.

13. gbfan - Asks "Please tell us how he could have avoided it AND still have the results that we have had?" Not all together a bad reply. Asking for information to support bpwallace's contention.

14. bpwallace apparently getting emotional. Apparently unions caved on all the fiscal parts which I guess was enough. But then calls the governor a dick. Even used the word "dickish" and I am not sure it is a word but I know what it would mean. A little pissy but not overly personal. But temperature is rising.

15. gbfan - says he never said dickish which is a word I am going to start using anyway. Tries to explain himself to bpwallace. More indepth now, less emotional but I am guessing because gbfan's side won before.

16. BPwallace - starts out with a cuff to the head of gbfan. Worked in a laughing emoticon for that "you idiot" flavor. Still throwing around "dicks" he explains how if Walker acted like a leader (instead of a dick I am guessing) that the recall would not have happened. I am not that up on this though so best I can gather is that Walker should have done some of what he wanted and compromised on other stuff and not been a dick. Now Walker "went far far right into lala land and decided to crush the opposing party publicly" (as opposed to privately) and has therefore lost independents. I still do not understand personally but again - not up on Wisconsin politics to be honest. Ends with another "you idiot" laughing emoticon and refers to Tossberg being a fellow idiot I guess though he has not posted in the thread.

17.Gbfan - there you are! Offers counter-argument and includes "And quit being a frickin doushe with all the stupid laughing icons and the twin crap." so I was not the only one to notice. Ends with Bushy reference which I guess is a slam to Bushwacked. (moderator theoretical question - if two people think each other is an idiot and there is zero chance of anyone changing their views, why play nonstop political pingpong that is mostly sniping and entirely about the "other guy"?).

18. bpwallace - Again with the ignorance thing. The post drips with sarcasm and condescension as he yet again has to talk down to someone who never gets it. This fact never seems to get in the way of a reply but could it be perseverance because he wants to show Gbfan the light and the truth? They could become fast friends. Call up Bushwacked and Caddyman and take their picture at Disneyland all riding the teacup ride. Probably not going to happen. But a moderator can dream.

19. GBfan notices the condescending part too. Wants to know how Walker could have done things and not looked like a jelly bean. I have got to change the filters again. Not liking the candy theme. Coming back for more. Far as I can tell, GBfan does not believe he has received any credible information while bpwallace is sick of constantly providing it. This is not heading for a handshake.

20. Gbfan takes his shot at condencension with a refernce to the fantasy world of BPWallace. You guys spend a lot of time talking to each other. And yet not saying much apparently,.

21. bpwallace back - sarcastically does with gbfan did in 20 but turns it all around. Hard to believe this is the same person they are talking about. Now that both sides have cast each other to the extreme other side, I cannot help but wonder where Bushwacked went and what that poem meant.

22. gbfan - regardless that neither person hears anything the other says, tries to lay down his version. Now he is schooling bpwallace. Imagine a car trip with these guys. Writes a lot and offers some info. Actually sounds like he is trying to yet again make bpwallace see the light that he just is not going to see the same. Seriously, amazing the back and forth with zero movement by anyone.

23. borge shows up and takes a side. No idea who Barrett is but apparently he is the side everyone should be for.

24. gbfan must find this to be like crack cocaine. Comes back and slams liberals by number. Remember mentioning them before" And we have reached the toilet. In my experience, calling others hypocrites, clueless and humorless does not make friends or influence people. Or change their minds.

25. stevegrab back. Kind of glad to see someone new. Throws down both parties suck again. Says "I kind of regret getting involved in this thread, and know things are only going to get more heated leading up to tomorrow's election." Thanks, I am looking forward to that.... not.

26. gbfan points out to stevegrab that yukon is a teacher and therefore using the emoticon against him.

27. SEC-UGA - just says three more years. I assume that means walker is winning. Because we need someone new to the thread with a dixie cup of gasoline.

30. tosberg34 - this must be the toss twin thing. Ah - just shows up to insult Yukon.

32. gbfan - takes stevegrabs statement and that becomes disgusting lies by liberals

33. Bushwack is back!!! Pastey apparently refers to cheeseheads somehow. Quotes some commercial. and gives thumbs up emoticon. Safe to assume it was against Walker. And/or pastey people.

34. Stevegrab - Like a hall monitor tries to get both sides to stop running so fast.

35. gbfan - as a counter to bushwacks attempt to show how evil the repubs are, uses other examples to show how evil democrats are. By this point it is very apparent that no one is listening to Stevegrab.

37. gbfan - AH - must have been about gbfan with the bumpersticker thing. Retort that sets this all back on track is "I will bet it is less than the number of times you have made out with men. "

There were small moments of clarity and discussion but as always obliterated by the perpetual and non-changing stances of the two sides. This thread was entirely negative, was constantly political and attacking other people. everythning is cast to extremes. It could have been locked at any number of places including thread #1. It was not locked because of #37 - well it could have. I did not personally do it so not sure. Lame? You guys go back and forth 37 times insulting each other, never changing your position, never listening to each other and knowing that what you are doing is not allowed.

I did not write the above to be insulting to those who participated and I apologize if I did. It was a mostly tongue in cheek look at what I see as a moderator. There are any number of posters that could have been involved and were not this time.

I am pretty sick of being called out about it. If I met any one of you guys we could be friends. Come over and eat BBQ. Talk football. Go shooting, fishing or whatever. I would suspect that you are all, in the light of day, good people. But on a message board things change. I have addressed political things many times in the past and tried to appease people towards that end but it never matters. Some of you know exactly what I have done in the past and that did not matter did it? You could have had your world but you wanted other things instead.

Wish it were possible for people to discuss politics rationally and actually be FOR something instead of just against something. Never going to happen. Fifteen years - not going to happen. Pissing matches. Pure negativity. No one changes their mind. Board becomes over run with political bullies who really just want to hear their own voices and make it the kind of place they want it to be to the detriment of the whole. Our board has long had that exact reputation.

So - back to football for me. Hope you'll refrain from negative political discussions.

Great Post. :clap::lol::tup:

Edited by tosberg34

And on the topic, I haven't followed what Walker did that closely, but in general i think public unions do need to be taken down a notch. Some, not saying all, of the benefits some public employees get are just out of control and need to be reined in.

Oh, and as a side note, I wonder how many people remember that one of the first things Obama did when taking office was to freeze the wages of federal employees?

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

First

Okay.

Thread break-down

1. Starts out by title as a slam to another person. Have to assume this is related to something else that was locked or deleted. Have to guess sole purpose of this is to make Bushwacked look bad so personal attack and political all in one. Deleteable from the start! Where do you go from here?

2. Bushwacked responds without being negative for maybe just the third time of his 26,080 posts. Although by his name he identifies himself as being negative about politics so you have to wonder how to get past that. I know he was being a smart ass and all, but I am almost disappointed there is no negativety and no slamming conservatives, republicans, George Bush, etc. I have to stop here before I get all weepy...

3. gbfan responds with "No comment - thread will be locked if I say what I am thinking." Chances on him refraining in the long run, according to my decades of moderation experience, pretty much absolute zero.

5. Caddyman kicks in. I honestly forget which side you guys hate sometimes but judging by his avatar of Bush he is a conservative. He calls out stevegrab for being too general instead of focusing on Wisconsin. This freaks me out because caddyman has been sort of old school negative in the past. It reminds me of My Cousin Vinny when the judge says "Mr. Gambini, that is a cogent, well thought-out, intelligent objection. Overruled."

Excellent post and thank you - kinda puts it in perspective..

I will make one point though - in your #26 my comment was not a shot at Yukon - I was just stating I thought he was a teacher and and saying he has more skin in the game and that is understandable - was not meant as a shot against him at all. The other comment was - just being honest.

Wants to know how Walker could have done things and not looked like a jelly bean. I have got to change the filters again. Not liking the candy theme.

I'm not trying to be a Burritohead but I think the Mexican food theme was the best. :D

Great rundown on that thread by DMD. I'm thrilled he recognized this newbie and has any opinion of me at all.

Regarding the thread being locked, and the general TOS for the Huddle Forums, I'm going to step out on a limb and say something here. After a short time participating on the forums I thought those were just words that were rarely if ever enforced. Seems every thread has lots of post that are

• off topic
  • personal attacks
  • any number of other rule violations

I also figured that the tailgate was more open, the "off topic discuss whatever you want" kind of forums. I agree that people should respect each others opinions and not resort to name calling and other petty BS. But I think everybody will eventually fall into the trap and lash out (that is what some posters want, a nice heated argument, and pissing people off).

I agree that political discussions almost never end well, with both sides taking extreme views that they will never change, and being very mean spirited in their content. I've been on some forums where they are just not allowed. One related to my motorcycling is like that, before that it was amazing the type of political CHIPS AHOY! storms that would go on. Of course when you got together with these same people face to face these topics never came up. Much like the Huddle and the offseason in NFL, we'd see the same thing in winter when many of us were not riding and had too much free time.

I've followed some of the political threads in the Tailgate because they were interesting, particularly the issues in Wisconsin which are similar to what we went through in Ohio regarding collective bargaining for public unions. I'm more liberal than conservative but recognize both sides have many faults and play dirty.

IMHO the "tax the church" thread had some very similar issues to two threads on Wisconsin politics that got locked. Maybe not as negative and nasty, but basically two sides who are probably never going to agree with the other just going back and forth.