[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What did yer Grandpa do for work

nuke'em ttg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paternal - worked at Honeywell (I have his 25 year anniversary watch from there)

Maternal - I think he was a logger up in Alaska for a while

Interesting... both of my sets of Grandparents only had one child. So since my Mom and My Dad were both only children, that means I don't have any Uncles, Aunts, or 1st Cousins. That's odd for Catholic families from that generation.

Yes that is odd. My Grandparents had large families.

Maternal - Farmer, lumberjack, boxer

Paternal - Power plant foreman in Haifa, Israel

On behalf of my grandparents, sorry. :unsure:

Dad's--Disabled. Was an early form of a stay at home Dad. Great cook. Was a cobbler, crossing guard, and did odd jobs. Grandma was a bindery worker full-time.

Mom's--Factory worker. Died from a goiter at age 41.

Edited by rocknrobn26

speaking of gas station owners--my friends grandpa owned one in east tx--one day, he pumped gas for the infamous Bonnie and Clyde duo...he was scared to death, but just tried to keep calm and unassuming. He filled their gas and they went on their way thank God!

Father's side was a doctor of some kind. My mother's side he was a Sergeant in the Marines and then a teacher. Funny thing is both of my parents followed in their father's footsteps for the most part. My mom became a teacher and my father is a dentist.

Paternal - general laborer I think, in his later years worked at a salvage yard.

Maternal - architect and sales for farm buildings toward the later years. When younger he did some sort of engineering work with Polaris on snowmobiles. Served in WWII in the Philipines as a medic.

Interesting story. My Paternal Grandpa was offered to play minor league baseball out of college (not sure if they offered contracts back then?) in the 30s. He was also offered a job at a leather factory for like 14 cents an hour. He gave up baseball because a real job was hard to come by back then. He was given a sheet of leather and a template. He had to carve out as many shoe pieces as he could from each sheet. My father worked next to him one summer and said that after the summer he was going crazy because it was so mind numbing. My grandpa did the exact same thing from age 18 until retirement (62?).

Maternal: factory until he lost a leg to cancer when I was young. Then did odd jobs until the day he died. Mostly working at scrapyards and such places answering phones and just being that guy that everybody in town knew.