[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

21 hours ago, gijoerock said:

He's rostered in 56% of yahoo leagues.  Will these numbers change drastically if this guy performs or will the morally conscience manager leave this guy on the waiver wire?

Do those exist? I've heard plenty of people say they don't care about a player's character, all it takes is one owner (out of 8-10-12 more).

As a Browns fan I don't want him on my team, but I grabbed him late last season as a potential keeper if his situation wasn't too bad. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

As a Browns fan I don't want him on my team, but I grabbed him late last season as a potential keeper if his situation wasn't too bad. 

I wouldn't necessarily want him on the team that I root for but I'm all over him in Fantasy. My money doesn't care if he's a d-bag. 

What are the Browns fans saying, are they excited to see Deshaun? He's a unique talent for sure. 

52 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I wouldn't necessarily want him on the team that I root for but I'm all over him in Fantasy. My money doesn't care if he's a d-bag. 

Almost everyone has done things that would be judged poorly.   The guy didnt beat anyone.   He didnt rob anyone.  He didnt drive drunk or high or risk others lives.   Sure, I'd be ashamed were it my son, but in the grand scheme, comparatively,  Its comical that this even comes up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Of course this was on the local news last night. Not sure what these women who are going to the game are trying to accomplish. Don't they feel the NFL is evil for having such a bad guy working for them? So they give the NFL money (buy tickets etc) to go stand in the stadium during his game and remind everybody "we're not going away". Hey I guess they got a lot of extra money now, or maybe the attorney is paying for all of them to attend and make this statement. 

How is this not over, you sued, you settled. No criminal charges were forthcoming. So you're going to keep demanding another pound of flesh? 

How did the media even find out these women were attending the game? I doubt they were contacted and asked, so they or the attorney put the story out there. 

See the comments on the PFT story

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/29/10-of-deshaun-watsons-accusers-plan-to-attend-sundays-browns-texans-game/

Edited by stevegrab

On 11/27/2022 at 10:25 AM, League_Champion said:

What are the Browns fans saying, are they excited to see Deshaun? He's a unique talent for sure. 

I also don't understand the morality question.  That's valid for team owners and even for fans but for fantasy football?  If a guy runs over a bus of nuns, toddlers and puppies but always puts up 75 points per game, would you say "nah, I don't feel comfortable rostering him?  I'd rather let one of the other guys do it and I'll settle for 2nd place."   Lol, no.  

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Of course this was on the local news last night. Not sure what these women who are going to the game are trying to accomplish. Don't they feel the NFL is evil for having such a bad guy working for them? So they give the NFL money (buy tickets etc) to go stand in the stadium during his game and remind everybody "we're not going away". Hey I guess they got a lot of extra money now, or maybe the attorney is paying for all of them to attend and make this statement. 

How is this not over, you sued, you settled. No criminal charges were forthcoming. So you're going to keep demanding another pound of flesh? 

How did the media even find out these women were attending the game? I doubt they were contacted and asked, so they or the attorney put the story out there. 

See the comments on the PFT story

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/29/10-of-deshaun-watsons-accusers-plan-to-attend-sundays-browns-texans-game/

They're women.  They don't want resolution as this will do absolutely nothing to curb sexual harassment.  They want the ability to relieve negative events and emotions in the most inflammatory manner possible.  We pursue  happiness.  They are going to walk out of that stadium more pissed off then when they arrived.  And Watson, nor the rest of the team or the fans are going to care one bit. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

They're women.  They don't want resolution as this will do absolutely nothing to curb sexual harassment.  They want the ability to relieve negative events and emotions in the most inflammatory manner possible.  We pursue  happiness.  They are going to walk out of that stadium more pissed off then when they arrived.  And Watson, nor the rest of the team or the fans are going to care one bit. 

If they wanted to make a statement then they shouldn't have settled. It really comes down to what matters more to you, making a statement or taking the cash.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, gilthorp said:

I will face him in 2 leagues this week. Not sure I would trot him out there right away but it is a very juicy match up.

great match up, plus vs his old team. only concern would be getting up then rubbing  running the ball in the 2nd half

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

I will face him in 2 leagues this week. Not sure I would trot him out there right away but it is a very juicy match up.

Its a real juicy matchup for the running game, Nick Chubb and his 200 carries for a 1000 yards and 10+ TDs is going to feast on the Texans horrible run D (near last in the NFL, while they passing D is in mid pack). 

I'll go out on a limb, Watson 200 yards, 1 TD 1 pick, maybe 30-40 rushing. Not sure about other leagues but that would be 13 points in my league (Murray had 26 last week). 

HOU allows on average per game 

rush - 168 and and about 1.4 TDs

pass - 216yds with just under one TD

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Its a real juicy matchup for the running game, Nick Chubb and his 200 carries for a 1000 yards and 10+ TDs is going to feast on the Texans horrible run D (near last in the NFL, while they passing D is in mid pack). 

I'll go out on a limb, Watson 200 yards, 1 TD 1 pick, maybe 30-40 rushing. Not sure about other leagues but that would be 13 points in my league (Murray had 26 last week). 

HOU allows on average per game 

rush - 168 and and about 1.4 TDs

pass - 216yds with just under one TD

some of this is game flow.... big leads then, then work the clock

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

some of this is game flow.... big leads then, then work the clock

True and when you're really bad defending one thing, there isn't much need for your opponent to do the other thing (doesn't mean you're any better defending it, just not necessary). 

I'm hoping Watson does well, I just think people are expecting a lot after so long off and with very little game action (just a few pre-season snaps) with his new team (players, coaches, offense). 

Plus its the Browns so best for me as a fan to expect the worse. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

I am pretty sure Watson and Chubb could rub one out in this one. Johnson might get some real serious usage.

D'Ernest Johnson?  He's hardly played on offense this year (just 4% of offensive snaps, #4 RB Felton has 3%), and has 4 carries for 17 yards. He'll get work after Hunt gets his work. If he's getting usage Chubb or Hunt got hurt or already combined for 40+ carries (which means not much passing for Watson). 

For those who don't follow the Browns, Chubb gets the first 2 series in a game, then Hunt gets one. (They're splitting the snaps pretty evenly 55% for Chubb 45% for Hunt, sometimes on the field together.) They'll mix in to relieve each other as well. The 3rd and 4th leading rushers are Brissett and WR Schwartz.

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Or pursued criminal charges. They chose $$$$ and that's what they got. 

To be fair, pursuing criminal charges was not up to them. They filed complaints, the various DAs/Grand Juries decided there was not enough evidence creating a "beyond a reasonable doubt" level to pursue criminal charges, the victims filed civil suits and settled those out of court.

Nothing that unusual with any of this.

4 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I would reply, but I see @Big Countrylurking and I don't want to steal his thunder. :lol:

Not sure I was replying to the post you were thinking, but I held off on adding anything about the civil complaints and the pros/cons for either side regarding settling or pursuing a trial.

Edited by Big Country

4 minutes ago, Big Country said:

To be fair, pursuing criminal charges was not up to them. They filed complaints, the various DAs/Grand Juries decided there was not enough evidence creating a "beyond a reasonable doubt" level to pursue criminal charges, the victims filed civil suits and settled those out of court.

Nothing that unusual with any of this.

You are correct that the women involved don't control the criminal process. But they filed their civil suit and settled. They could have all gone to court like the one is doing. Now after settling a significant number want to continue keeping their story in the spotlight. 

Showing up to the place of employment of your accuser to watch them do their job seems very unusual to me.