[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

I was reading the full details yesterday, he has to leave the facility on Aug 30 when roster cuts to 53 occur. He can return to the facility for limited stuff (meetings, training) after the 5th game (half the suspension length) on October 4th and return to practice on Nov 14 two weeks before he is eligible to play in a game. And his first game back would be Dec 5, in Houston of all places. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/08/rules-for-deshaun-watsons-11-game-suspension-when-he-must-leave-when-he-can-return-and-everything-in-between.html

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading a yahoo link today that also mentioned that his 3rd party treatment counselor has to sign off prior to his return to the nfl and if he continues to give contradictory messages this maybe an issue.  Before reaching the deal he started apologizing,  since the settlement all he has said was that he was always innocent and "never assaulted or disrespected anyone "

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

Before reaching the deal he started apologizing,  since the settlement all he has said was that he was always innocent and "never assaulted or disrespected anyone "

That's probably a function of the varying definitions of or rather his interpretations of the meaning of  "assault" and "disrespect" .

"Yo, you so fine. Lemme grab that and here, I'll give you some of this"...  Geesh, I was trying to be flattering!  

(Some will  take this as me defending him.  They shouldnt.)

Will be interesting to see if we get any details about the 3rd party counselor and having to get their approval before he can play. I'm pretty sure that he'll say whatever is needed at some point, even if that might include saying something in public that he doesn't believe. $230M is a big pile of money to toss away for your ego. I doubt they're going to require him to admit to crimes in a public statement but something that doesn't proclaim complete innocence and accepts he did some things wrong would be reasonable. 

Not sure how much more of this dirty story the NFL wants out there, especially as we approach the season kickoff.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, The Grey Pilgrim said:

So will this last "new" charge (or not so new) re-open the NFL to reconsider the suspension length already given.  And what if one more claim (or more) come up once the 11 game suspension has been served?  

Also posted in the other thread, NFL says no change at this time. I don't recall there being anything in the settlement that would suddenly trigger more punishment just based on another allegation. I know the Browns had some stuff in his contract that would allow them to get out if it turned out he wasn't honest with them about all the incidents that happened. But I doubt they'll try to get out unless he is suspended further or flames out when he returns. 

https://news.yahoo.com/nfl-says-deshaun-watson-status-170521275.html

• 1 month later...

Two more difficult games before Watson returns, at BUF then vs TB. The Browns have lost 5 of their last 6, with only that big MNF win over the Bengals to show a sign of life.

The offense just looked bad yesterday, like they forgot to run the ball, or more accurately like MIA knew how to stop it very easily. They rarely had a productive carry on first down, I recall one time they did well, then it was 3rd & 1 and Hunt was stuffed for a 2 yard loss. 5-12 on 3rd and 2-5 on 4th down conversions is a big part of the problem. 

Just saying temper those expectations, and if there's a big game in his return I'd sell high, because games @CIN, BAL, NO, @WAS, @PIT won't be as favorable. 

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, gijoerock said:

He's rostered in 56% of yahoo leagues.  Will these numbers change drastically if this guy performs or will the morally conscience manager leave this guy on the waiver wire?

Got him on my bench in one league. 

2qb leagues will have to have him rostered 

Not like the rest of the league are all saints, pretty sure most leagues have Tyreek rostered, Hunt rostered, most have DHop rostered, most would have Winston rostered if he was starting, Zeke is heavily rostered. Sure that there are many many players with questionable reputations that are worse than non-criminal happy endings being sued for some quick cash.

Edited by Yoyo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Montana is da Man said:

I hope you guys are right, you convinced me to pick him up where I have Allen and Fields and am now carrying 3 QBs

With Allen you don't need him. I'll say this, at this point I don't think you can do much wrong. If you hold him it keeps anybody else from playing him against you and like LC said, he's insurance if an injury occurs. However even if you drop him, unless you have a blind bidding system, he's likely to get picked up by a bottom-feeder anyway.

6 hours ago, rajncajn said:

With Allen you don't need him. I'll say this, at this point I don't think you can do much wrong. If you hold him it keeps anybody else from playing him against you and like LC said, he's insurance if an injury occurs. However even if you drop him, unless you have a blind bidding system, he's likely to get picked up by a bottom-feeder anyway.

Our waiver order does not reset weekly, two playoff teams have saved their priorities which is part of why I grabbed him now and didn't wait until Wednesday.   Unless they shut fields down, I'll be carrying 3 qbs to play keep away with fields and watson

• Like 1