[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Russell Wilson benched

Big John

53 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

Is there a reason why they don't just cut him now?

If they cut him before March 17, they take a near $50 million cap hit in 2024. Cut him post June 1, they don't take any extra hit in 2024 beyond his guaranteed amount, about $35 million, but get out of the future guaranteed money. And they are benching him, as much like Derek Carr with the Raiders, there are injury clauses in the contract that prevent them being cut if injured.

Releasing Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't blame the Broncos for moving on but Wilson is a pretty easy scapegoat. Granted, I saw a blurb where Denver apparently tried to get Wilson to waive his injury protection clause and the Wilson camp refused.  Perhaps Wilson was seemingly always reluctant to restructure with both the Hawks and the Donkos unlike other QBs. 

I've never been overly impressed with Sean Peyton as a person and his sideline antics with Wilson didn't change that perception.  Seattle brass dealt with frustration on similar fronts for at least a couple seasons and mostly dealt with it behind closed doors.

12 hours ago, Shaft said:

This is a business move, Wilson wasn't that bad. Statistically, he was having a good season. There are some coaching issues here also, but they're clearly committed to Payton. 

It is interesting, his numbers this year are actually pretty good. Now I know stats don’t always tell the whole story and clearly he’s not worth what he’s getting paid. It seems the point here is Payton feels he can’t get anymore out of Wilson and he doesn’t want to deal with that moving forward. Payton has made a lot comments about simplifying the offense. So I think he is trying to play without a lot of his playbook.

On 12/28/2023 at 1:24 PM, Anonymouse said:

My son read a rumor on bleacher report (I dislike that site, so...) that this decision was "made" a while ago

Yup, apparently they asked him to restructure his contract back in October or he would get benched.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 10:51 AM, Finn5033 said:

It is interesting, his numbers this year are actually pretty good. Now I know stats don’t always tell the whole story and clearly he’s not worth what he’s getting paid. It seems the point here is Payton feels he can’t get anymore out of Wilson and he doesn’t want to deal with that moving forward. Payton has made a lot comments about simplifying the offense. So I think he is trying to play without a lot of his playbook.

The more I think about this, the more irritating it becomes. I'm not a fan of Russ, but this benching seems wrong on so many levels. His ranking so far this season: 7th- passer rating, 6th-TDs (he has 26; there is a three-way tie for 3rd place with 27 TDs), 10th in completion %, and one of the best TD:INT ratios in the league. 

It's clear him and Payton aren't on the same page, but to act like his play is the reason for the benching is misleading.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Shaft said:

The more I think about this, the more irritating it becomes. I'm not a fan of Russ, but this benching seems wrong on so many levels. His ranking so far this season: 7th- passer rating, 6th-TDs (he has 26; there is a three-way tie for 3rd place with 27 TDs), 10th in completion %, and one of the best TD:INT ratios in the league. 

It's clear him and Payton aren't on the same page, but to act like his play is the reason for the benching is misleading.  

What's worse is that Sean Payton keeps claiming that he was benched because of performance and that they're doing this to win more games and he knows nothing about what the front office told Wilson. What a giant pile of bullmanure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

It is clear Payton is using hijinks and Wilson was never his guy.  But, Wilson has now churned through 3 different head coaches in as many years; each one in pretty 'spectacular' fashion.  

It is clear Seattle won that trade.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's hard to get firm figures, I find NFL contracts extremely confusing. "Cut today with a post June 1 designation" and "guarantees" that aren't guarantees until certain dates. It's hard to get a handle on. But the best I can figure is that the Broncos gave up two first round picks, two 2nd round picks, Drew Lock, Noah Fant, some other DL, and then I think will be paying roughly 165 million dollars for two years of very mediocre football. That ain't great, but still might not wrest the top spot from my Vikings with the Herschel Walker trade. 

I know the Broncos can recoup some dollars depending on another teams pay for Russell this year, and maybe next, but he doesn't necessarily have to get signed for a lot as he's getting 35 million no matter what this year. 

5 hours ago, purplemonster said:

It's hard to get firm figures, I find NFL contracts extremely confusing. "Cut today with a post June 1 designation" and "guarantees" that aren't guarantees until certain dates. It's hard to get a handle on. But the best I can figure is that the Broncos gave up two first round picks, two 2nd round picks, Drew Lock, Noah Fant, some other DL, and then I think will be paying roughly 165 million dollars for two years of very mediocre football. That ain't great, but still might not wrest the top spot from my Vikings with the Herschel Walker trade. 

I know the Broncos can recoup some dollars depending on another teams pay for Russell this year, and maybe next, but he doesn't necessarily have to get signed for a lot as he's getting 35 million no matter what this year. 

actually I think he is getting 40 million this year and 45 million next year as well.  I'll try to find the article I read....but a team that picks him up will only due so at the bare minimum of 1 million.  

From THEATHLETIC.COM:  

The Wilson acquisition and ensuing extension will forever rank as one of the worst trades for a veteran quarterback in NFL history. The Broncos, in releasing Wilson, will suffer a dead-cap hit of $85 million split between this year and next year.

I think when they hired Sean Payton he told them they will probably need to make this move, but he'll give Wilson a chance. 

Still don't think it is as bad as the deal the Browns gave up for Watson, 3 first round picks, and around $250 million fully guaranteed. 

Maybe other teams will learn and not mortgage their future on these guys. At least Wilson had a history of success at the highest level and wasn't coming in rusty and with the PR baggage. 

50 minutes ago, devilwoman said:

actually I think he is getting 40 million this year and 45 million next year as well.  I'll try to find the article I read....but a team that picks him up will only due so at the bare minimum of 1 million.  

From THEATHLETIC.COM:  

The Wilson acquisition and ensuing extension will forever rank as one of the worst trades for a veteran quarterback in NFL history. The Broncos, in releasing Wilson, will suffer a dead-cap hit of $85 million split between this year and next year.

I was trying to figure out how much the Broncos paid or will pay roughly for 2 years of mediocre football