[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky's back!

CaptainHook

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has been cleared by the NFL to report for the start of training camp, a year and a day after he abruptly retired.

Williams decided to apply for reinstatement after sitting out last season. He still faces a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse program.

"If he decides to return, Ricky Williams is eligible to report on the first day of training camp without incurring a further violation of the substance abuse program," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. "His four-game suspension for violating the program would be served over the first four games of the regular season."

Williams acknowledged shortly after retiring that he failed drug tests and faced a suspension for testing positive three times for Josh Gordon. A court later found the 2002 NFL rushing champion in breach of contract by retiring, and ordered him to repay the team $8.6 million.

Williams informed coach Dave Wannstedt of his retirement plans last July 23, one week before the start of training camp. New coach Nick Saban offered Williams another chance with the Dolphins, who report July 24 and begin workouts the next day.

Williams rushed for 3,225 yards and 25 touchdowns in his two seasons with the team.

link

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest THEbigred

I doubt it. Brown will be the man. Just hope he doesn't get hurt.

And much as I would prefer not having that brainless fruitcake on my team, I might draft Williams late.

I doubt it.  Brown will be the man.  Just hope he doesn't get hurt.

And much as I would prefer not having that brainless fruitcake on my team, I might draft Williams late.

886251[/snapback]

At least not the 1st four games. When he does comeback, I could see him getting playing time. You don't think they will forgive him and move on? Saban's already said he would give him a chance. If they didn't want him back, they wouldn't have asked him. He might not help the team right away, but A guy that rushed for over 3000 yards in two years has some talent. If he is in shape, I could see him getting significant playing time 1/2 way through the season or get traded. Hence my RBBC comment.

The answer to who gets the carries in Miami depends on one thing only--Ronnie Brown's performance the first four games of the season.

If Brown plays well, Ricky hopefully gets traded to the highest bidder or finds himself on the bench and forgotten about. The one thing that could help Ricky is Ronnie Brown's contract situation. If Brown holds out of camp as expected, it gives Ricky his perfect chance to shine. If Ricky gets to practice with the first unit all preseason and plays well in the preseason games giving players and coaches get confidence in him, it will go a long way in helping him get carries when he comes back from suspension. Again, the only way this scenario is possible is if Ronnie Brown doesn't play well in the first four games.

Personally I think Ronnie's he's going to be good, showing potential of being great, and Ricky (if he has a good preseason) will get traded to the first team whose starting RB blows out an ACL.

Welcome back........welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the team has all changed since you hung around,

But those dreams have remained and they’re turned around.

Who’d have thought they’d lead ya (Who’d have thought they’d lead ya)

Back here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause he smoked a little pot,

Welcome back.........welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Very Interesting statement from the league.  Ricky smokes the Josh Gordon and announces it to all that he'd rather smoke than play football.

Ricky comes back and all is good.  All is not good.

886475[/snapback]

Gee, I wonder if that would happen in my job? I could take a year off, quit without warning and then come back.

If you were one of the best 5 or 10 people in the world at your job, you probably could do that.

886497[/snapback]

If that job entailed getting high all over the world, then I'd have to say Ricky was top five. Followed closely by Lenny Kravitz.

Edited by Ruffian

If you were one of the best 5 or 10 people in the world at your job, you probably could do that.

886497[/snapback]

Of course, if you let your teammates down by leaving right before training camp and your only incentive to return is financial, you're not going to be welcomed back with open arms. If Ronnie Brown stays healthy throughout the preseason, Ricky will be traded in August.

Williams will face a 4 game suspension.

Anytime between now and then I wouldn't be surprised to see

the Dolphins trade him.

886582[/snapback]

JMO, but I don't see the Dolphins trading him that early. I think they'll give him some playing time this season and hope he performs as he has in the past. His stock is as low as it can go right now and I don't see anyone giving up that much for him. Things can change with injuries to starters but with the RB situation right now, I doubt he'll bring anymore than Henry. Only time will tell I guess.

As interesting as how/whether the offense will welcome him back is how guys like Thomas/Seau/Taylor -- ongtime vets on defense -- will welcome him back. If I were Ricky, I'd either avoid those guys entirely, or buy them all Hummers, because his absence, and the offense's subsequent misery -- lots of three and outs, putting the defense back on the field time after time after time -- probably took a year or two off their careers through wear and tear.

Long story short: I bet the defense loathes Josh Gordon boy.