[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All-time underrated movies

BeeR

Offhand my list includes

Tequila Sunrise

Punchline

Leap of Faith

The Ref (although I'd bet most here like it)

Quiz Show

K-Pax

No Way Out

Most of Eastwood's "no name" type westerns, esp if you count Josy Wales

The Majestic

Body Heat

Glenn Miller Story

Fallen

Memento

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Risky Business

Baron Munchausen

Serial

Koyaanisqatsi

Rope

Sleeping Beauty

Paths of Glory

This is opposed to cult classics - I was flirting with Repo Man or American Graffitti but those are very well acknowledged.

I thought that I would get bored, but I was mesmerized.

+1 on joe vs the volcano and so I married an axe murderer. I also really love koyannisqatsi, but I don't really think of that as underrated so much as kind of a niche-y art film.

a couple that came to mind for me were:

a perfect world - by clint eastwood, starring kevin costner. never really got any respect but I thought it was very powerful and brilliantly acted.

the apostle - robert duvall gave, to my mind, one of the best acting performances in any movie ever. this movie's approach to religion was brilliantly subtle -- expressing both awe and irony.

Most of Eastwood's "no name" type westerns, esp if you count Josy Wales

I don't think anyone underrates these. The three "man with no name" movies have been suggested as being in the top few trilogies ever and the rest (where he did have a name e.g. Josey Wales) are also acknowledged as far better than average movies. As Westerns go, most of Eastwood's output is right up there with High Noon and the other classics.

I guess next time I want recommendations for a flick, I'll ask you guys to list underrated movies. This is a really solid list. When you guys are asked to list your favourite movies however it's all Shawshank Redemption all the time.

:wacko::D

I'll add The Limey to this solid list, and as discussed elsewhere Kiss Kiss Bang Bang