[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All-time underrated movies

BeeR

Here's some of mine:

Big Trouble In Little China

Rivers Edge

Metalstorm

A Boy and His Dog

Time After Time

White Squall

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry

Sandlot

The Boost

A Midnight Clear

I really liked

Really good, weird flick.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll premise this with: i really don't know how movies are "rated" (popularity vs critic's reviews) so i don't have a point of reference....

- against all odds

- a fish called wanda

- dirty rotten scoundrels

- meet joe black

- dead poets society

- captain corelli's mandolin

- diner

- thomas crown affair (brosnan)

- parenthood

- the jackel

I guess next time I want recommendations for a flick, I'll ask you guys to list underrated movies. This is a really solid list. When you guys are asked to list your favourite movies however it's all Shawshank Redemption all the time.

:wacko::D

I'll add The Limey to this solid list, and as discussed elsewhere Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Good call.

I'll add Suicide Kings. Not sure if it's underrated or not. I know Jingle All the Way is underrated.

Hudson Hawk -- Not great by any means, but when looked at as stupid, wacky fun, actually an enjoyable film.

Zoolander

Kis Kiss, Bang Bang

Sneakers

Mission Impossible (I & III, II sucked)

Pitch Black

Wanted

Minority Report (I know the critics liked this film, out so many of the people I talk to dislike it. IMO one of the best Speilberg directed movies)

I know there's a bunch more that I am not thinking of right now.

Sneakers - had an all-star cast with Robert Redford in the lead role and I believe it was one of River Phoenix's last movies.

Thick as Thieves - stars Alec Baldwin.

Sneakers was actually one of the first movies I ever bought. My DVD collection is about 5-6 total. Its just hard for me to watch a movie more than twice

The one we watch at least 2 times a year is "Almost Famous"

I'll add Suicide Kings.

Yes!

Another "not sure how under-rated this could be" one, but let me add Enemy of the State with Will Smith, Jon Voight, Gene Hackman, Gabriel Byrne. What I love is the budding lot of secondary characters (Jack Black, Jake Busy, Scott Caan, Jamie Kennedy). One of my favorites.

Oh yeah...

Sneakers and Suicide Kings are definitely on my list.

And those movies remind me of:

Where the Day Takes You - Ensemble cast and great story.

I don't remember who said Cube, but you are now my sworn enemy.

Worst. movie. ever.

Get it? The Cube is a metaphor! It's some kind of sad terrible art student metaphor for something! :wacko:

+1 on joe vs the volcano and so I married an axe murderer. I also really love koyannisqatsi, but I don't really think of that as underrated so much as kind of a niche-y art film.

a couple that came to mind for me were:

a perfect world - by clint eastwood, starring kevin costner. never really got any respect but I thought it was very powerful and brilliantly acted.

the apostle - robert duvall gave, to my mind, one of the best acting performances in any movie ever. this movie's approach to religion was brilliantly subtle -- expressing both awe and irony.

duvall was awesome in that movie :wacko:

Good call.

I'll add Suicide Kings. Not sure if it's underrated or not. I know Jingle All the Way is underrated.

LOVE Suicide Kings

now I'm not saying it shoulda been up for an academy award, but Friday only got one star...thought it was much better than a one-star rating

That's because the people that rate movies are schlubs that sing the praises of overdone garbage like Benjamin Button.

I also liked Eight Heads in a Duffel Bag

:wacko: Good flick.

I don't remember who said Cube, but you are now my sworn enemy.

Worst. movie. ever.

Get it? The Cube is a metaphor! It's some kind of sad terrible art student metaphor for something! :wacko:

yeah, I remember going into that with big expectations and then wanting to claw my eyes out by the end. just awful. and I have to say I feel the exact same way about another movie mentioned in this thread, memento.

yeah, I remember going into that with big expectations and then wanting to claw my eyes out by the end. just awful. and I have to say I feel the exact same way about another movie mentioned in this thread, memento.

Cube was mostly schlock (enjoyed it, though) but Memento was just amazing, IMO.