[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Van Halen

bushwacked

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DoooooH! Uhh-huuuuH! Nyuuuk Nyuuk Nyuuuk!

The Beatles have the best argument to top the list of "Best Rock Band" but some people just get ridiculous about it, is all I"m saying.

"Overrated" is just a lame word...it all depends on who's doing the rating.

I'll put Van Halen 1 against anything. Eddie Van Halen is the last guitar player to change the game. Im gonna get my spandex pants on right now and play eruption

The most over-rated band of all time is probably Nirvana or the Beatles.

Fifteen years ago I probably would have agreed with you about Nirvana. My nostaglic, grunge colored glasses make me like them more now than when their music originally came out.

I grew up with the Beatles playing in my house. They're way too intertwined with my childhood for me to be subjective. I watched the Classic Albums documentary on the Plastic Ono Band album. It shows the genius of the band, even with it as a solo album for Lennon.

The Beatles have the best argument to top the list of "Best Rock Band" but some people just get ridiculous about it, is all I"m saying.

"Overrated" is just a lame word...it all depends on who's doing the rating.

I just thought the video was funny more than anything, and like to rib VH fans. I see how all 3 bands can end up in the overrated category. For me it's the guys doing the scissor kicks in spandex with the singer that was more of a stand up comedian than anything.

I always liked Van Halen, I even liked their first album with Hagar. They didn't have much profound to say, just put on a hell of a show and looked like they were having a hell of a time. They didn't sound like anything else that was happening at that time. DLR turned out to be more and more of a massive tool as time went on, but his voice made that band just as much as Eddie's guitar IMO. They were both at fault for letting egos break up something that was pretty cool for a while.

I just thought the video was funny more than anything, and like to rib VH fans. I see how all 3 bands can end up in the overrated category. For me it's the guys doing the scissor kicks in spandex with the singer that was more of a stand up comedian than anything.

But their music was very real and very authentic. It certainly wasnt deep in content and Roth wasnt winning any singing prizes but for that era he was an incredible front man that electrified the crowd. Couple that with the most innovative guitar player of the last 30 years and you got yourself a great band.

As opposed to some dweeby nerd wearing a cardigan sweater looking like he was about to shoot himself?

But their music was very real and very authentic. It certainly wasnt deep in content and Roth wasnt winning any singing prizes but for that era he was an incredible front man that electrified the crowd. Couple that with the most innovative guitar player of the last 30 years and you got yourself a great band.

Perfectly said. Roth never was someone that anyone thought was some sort of incredible vocal talent. He was a great showman that kept the crowd going. He took little talent, (vocal wise), and made the most out of it. I was a hugh Van Halen fan.

Hell, look at Motley Crue, Vince Neil couldn't sing worth Sh!t but they were huge.

Ahh, memories of driving around in my Pinto, getting baked with girls in tight jeans and big hair, Crue, Dokken, Van Halen, Scorpions in the tape deck.....Gooooood times....

:wacko:

Hell, look at Motley Crue, Vince Neil couldn't sing worth Sh!t but they were huge.

Ahh, memories of driving around in my Pinto, getting baked with girls in tight jeans and big hair, Crue, Dokken, Van Halen, Scorpions in the tape deck.....Gooooood times....

:wacko:

I listen to hair nation occasionally on sirius. A lot of cheesy tunes spinkled in with some bands that could actually play like the ones you mentioned. Great memories indeed

This.

The most over-rated band of all time is probably Nirvana or The Beatles.

Both of them were important for a change in the times...but when stacked against other bands I have to agree, Someone better can always come along.

I'll put Van Halen 1 against anything. Eddie Van Halen is the last guitar player to change the game. Im gonna get my spandex pants on right now and play eruption

Excellent point! Some people may start throwing out some names of instrumental guitarists but those don't apply to the "band" subject.

I listen to Hair Nation and Boneyard thinking about who was "for real" as a band and Van Halen certainly is one of them...both versions. The lyrics may not be edge of your seat song writing, but it is fun and that is what they set out for.

Reminds me a bit of Bobby Dall of Poison talking about his response to people that cut him down saying he isn't a great musician...said something like he didn't want to be a great musician, he wanted to be a rock star and did. Eddie Van Halen was both.

For me, the Rolling Stones are in the conversation of most overrated all time. I honestly don't understand how they maintained popularity.

A hugh (probably unmatched by a band) succession of excellent and classic singles, unparalleled stage presence, business sense and timing second to none and, as a result, legendary status.

Many of us can soundtrack large chunks of our lives to Their Satanic Majesties.