[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did you pop the question ?

whomper

Inspired from the ball and chain thread..How did you propose to your significant other ?

I spoke with my wifes parents first and got their blessing. Then about a week later I set the night up. We parked my car near Rockefeller center in NY and took a cab to Little Italy for dinner. I had the ring in my right pocket and when we got in the cab she rested her arm practically right on that leg. I slipped my arm between hers and the ring otherwise she wouldve felt the box. Anyway we have a great dinner and she notices im sweating like a bastage and comments on it. I didnt feel nervous but I guess I was. So we finish dinner and cab it back to Rockeffeler center. I know that my wife loves churches so I walk her onto the steps of St. Patricks cathedral. She knew we were going to get married but didnt know when and played no part in me picking out the ring so she was genuinly surprised. Right on the steps of the cathedral I sprung it on her. She was blown away. It was a great night.

:D Good job, sounds like a great night Whomp, how the hell did you muster up that much romance :D

Actually I proposed once although the wedding didn't come to pass. I also asked her parents first and got their blessing. I planned it for a big new year's eve party at her uncle's house, all of her family and none of mine :D It was a very nice costume party, I was a 20's gangster and she was a flapper. All of her family knew about it and I have to say I was kind of nervous. I decided to do it before midnight so after singing a song (they had karaoke at the party) I made a little speech, tried to be as romantic as possible and completely surprised her by getting on one knee and popping the question. It was a very memorable night but like I said we didn't make it to the wedding, fortunately for me or else I wouldn't have my beautiful daughter or girlfriend that I have now. :D

Whomp, I'm glad yours worked out for you :D

we were both 22. we met in school. she graduated, but i hadn't. she was living at home about two hours away. she had gotten me phoenix suns tickets for christmas. she had worked at a jewelry store with another friend, so the friend helped me pick out the ring. i picked it up, then picked up the wife from her office and went to the suns game. afterward we had dinner, and then i was gonna take her to this nice bar at this resort on a hill overlooking the city. except that i couldn't find the dam bar. so we ended up going to one at the bottom of the hill. just as the ring is burning a hole in my pocket, she goes, "this bar is so cheesy." (it was an upscale place, really nice, but the clientele was stuffy.) i was like, great. so i said, "wanna go for a walk?" we left, and on the way to the car i decided to do it, because the next stop was her mom's house. so i proposed to her in a parking lot. really romantic.

We were living in Seattle. I told her that we were going away for a long weekend and woke her up at 5am Saturday morning. She was pissed. We ended up taking a boat up to Victoria BC, stayed at the Empress Hotel, went to Butchart Gardens and proposed. Ate Lobster Thermidor that night. oh...she said "yes".

we were together for about 3+ years before i popped the question... we already went shopping for rings so she new it was coming..... one weekend we drove down to carmel for the weekend to do a little biking and diving. i had written a "resume" seeking employment as her husband and put it in our itinerary.... i had upgraded our room. at the time we were both in grad school and on a low budget.... so the plan was for her to look at the itinerary to figure out "what was wrong with the reservation." well... i had a jeep and our bikes up on the rack.... pulling in, a seat caught the overhang at the hotel..... ripped a bike and part of the rack off.... so here i am thinking about fixing my car and knowing i am about to propose... so at least her mind was completely off of anything other than the car :D while she was reading the resume trying to figure out what that was i discreatly got down on one knee and fished for the ring..... and the rest is history.

Edited by Bier Meister

Like Chuck, this proposal was accepted, but the wedding never came to fruition (thankfully). I took my girlfriend to Disneyland, where we were to meet a couple of friends of mine/ours. My friend's step-sister was "Alice" from "Alice in Wonderland" fame, and met us on Main Street, and we headed up the street with a marching band and they stopped in a semi circle in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle. "Alice" and the Mad Hatter grabbed the four of us, and they proceeded to make us do some silly little dance. A good crowd had formed, watching/listening to the band and watching the sillyness. Well, my friend and her hubby stepped back, and the Mad Hatter announced that I had something to ask, and dropped to the knee and proposed.

Um, I haven't been to Disneyland since. :D

For my current girlfriend/fiancee-to-be/wifey-to-be, I think I'm gonna take her out to the Newport Beach pier, where we had gone on one of our first dates and saw a sea lion. I think that was the first place we had a non-peck kiss, too. :D

Will letchy'all know how it goes.

Hmmmmm. Let's see.

We were dating about 4+ yrs. After dating someone for so long after college, it was difficult to plan something that would surprise her.

Asked her parents first, for their blessing. Christmas came and went, and no proposal. New Year's came and went, and no proposal. Her entire family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, yada-yada-yada) knew about it, but not her. Valentine's came and went, and no proposal. Her family is starting to wonder what's going on.

Because I was working very long hours, and had no time to talk to her over the previous 3-4 wks, I deemed the next Sunday "Girlfried Day". After church, I employed a cross-town (Houston), multi-stop, day-long, treasure hunt. Each clue was in the form of a poem, enclosed in a fortune cookie. (She was sick of fortune cookies after the 9th stop.) I'd meet her at some spots (picnic in the park, movie) and be off setting up things while she was at others (clothes shopping, back at her parents to pick up a bowling ball, dress, shovel, and peanuts). All the details were covered, including gas money hidden in her car, snack chocolate hidden in another part of her car, and the like.

One of the last stops was at a friends place who knows how to roll out the red carpet and pamper. She was given another fortune cookie there, with the next clue, perfectly timed with me at the front door, ready to pick her up. We go to Kemah's Flying Dutchman, upstairs. There, the waiter takes us to the corner table, with full window views of the bay on 2 sides. She asks how I rated that table, not knowing what was in store. Frantic, and thinking she's on to me, I whispered to her, "I told them it was your birthday -- go with it."

With ring in coat pocket, and she looking like a million bucks, and the sun going down over the bay, I don't think I ate but 2 bites of my dinner. I was nervous. After dinner, the check came, with the final fortune cookie. She thought it was over, but the final clue was the poetic proposal. While I paid the tab, she cracked open the fortune cookie and begged not to eat it. After reading it, she jumped up and exclaimed "YES", hugging me across the table. Well, the chairs were on wheels, and her chair hit an old lady sitting behind her, and her force pushed my chair into a server. Embarrassing. At that precise time, our waiter came out with a hugh bouquet of roses that were hidden at the restaurant earlier in the day.

We then rushed off and across town to meet our parents and siblings, waiting for us at another restaurant for dessert. They've been waiting for 1+ hrs, and we arrived after the place closed. But, they were very accommodating. It's a long way across Houston.

13+ yrs, 3 kids later, I don't know if she's eaten another fortune cookie since. :D

Hmmmmm.  Let's see.

We were dating about 4+ yrs.  After dating someone for so long after college, it was difficult to plan something that would surprise her.

Asked her parents first, for their blessing.  Christmas came and went, and no proposal.  New Year's came and went, and no proposal.  Her entire family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, yada-yada-yada) knew about it, but not her.  Valentine's came and went, and no proposal.  Her family is starting to wonder what's going on. 

Because I was working very long hours, and had no time to talk to her over the previous 3-4 wks, I deemed the next Sunday "Girlfried Day".  After church, I employed a cross-town (Houston), multi-stop, day-long, treasure hunt.  Each clue was in the form of a poem, enclosed in a fortune cookie.  (She was sick of fortune cookies after the 9th stop.)  I'd meet her at some spots (picnic in the park, movie) and be off setting up things while she was at others (clothes shopping, back at her parents to pick up a bowling ball, dress, shovel, and peanuts).  All the details were covered, including gas money hidden in her car, snack chocolate hidden in another part of her car, and the like.

One of the last stops was at a friends place who knows how to roll out the red carpet and pamper.  She was given another fortune cookie there, with the next clue, perfectly timed with me at the front door, ready to pick her up.  We go to Kemah's Flying Dutchman, upstairs.  There, the waiter takes us to the corner table, with full window views of the bay on 2 sides.  She asks how I rated that table, not knowing what was in store.  Frantic, and thinking she's on to me, I whispered to her, "I told them it was your birthday -- go with it."

With ring in coat pocket, and she looking like a million bucks, and the sun going down over the bay, I don't think I ate but 2 bites of my dinner.  I was nervous.  After dinner, the check came, with the final fortune cookie.  She thought it was over, but the final clue was the poetic proposal.  While I paid the tab, she cracked open the fortune cookie and begged not to eat it.  After reading it, she jumped up and exclaimed "YES", hugging me across the table.  Well, the chairs were on wheels, and her chair hit an old lady sitting behind her, and her force pushed my chair into a server.  Embarrassing.  At that precise time, our waiter came out with a hugh bouquet of roses that were hidden at the restaurant earlier in the day.

We then rushed off and across town to meet our parents and siblings, waiting for us at another restaurant for dessert.  They've been waiting for 1+ hrs, and we arrived after the place closed.  But, they were very accommodating.  It's a long way across Houston.

13+ yrs, 3 kids later, I don't know if she's eaten another fortune cookie since.  :D

1416195[/snapback]

i saw this on family guy.... excpet instead of being busy setting up the next clue, peter was playing golf.

:D very nice my man!

i saw this on family guy.... excpet instead of being busy setting up the next clue, peter was playing golf.

:D  very nice my man!

1416198[/snapback]

Hehe. Haven't caught that episode. :D Golf :D Gotta' remember that for the next time. Er, I mean, er, for the anniversary treasure hunt.

Bier, yours is quite clever. Wrecking the car and bike to send her off the scent. :D I'm proud of you, man.

Here's what I did (short version):

She thought I was going to propose, so I had to commission a mutual friend to tell her not to expect it anytime soon. . .so she was pretty down. It's all about the surprise factor.

Called her two weeks earlier, told her there was a local skydiving company running a two for one, but the special ended in an hour and I had to get the tickets. . .she told me she'd think about it, called me back 10 minutes later and said she was in. Sweet.

I spent the three days before the propsal at my dad's house making a 75'x10' sign that spelled "Marry Me Anita?" ("Anita, will you marry me" wouldn't fit)

I told our tandem jumpers what I was doing, so they sent me out first. Also told them I didn't care to see the scenery, I just wanted to go south fast. I had a few family members/friends hidden waiting with the sign. As soon as we got in the air, they started getting the sign ready.

We jumped, I got down a couple minutes before she did, and she was dropped directly in front of me (who was in front of the sign) on one knee with the ring. I told her "Anita, you're everything I've ever wanted, and the only thing I ever want. Would you do me the honor of being my wife?"

She hyperventilated for about 30 seconds, and finally breathed out a "yes" followed by a "it's huge!" about the ring.

It was a good day.

My wife (girlfriend at the time) tended to spend the night at my apt. On a friday, I went down to the costume store and rented a suit of armor and hid it in the basement of the apt building.

Next morning, I went down to the basement while she was sleeping (she sleeps like the dead). Put on the suit of armor went upstairs and woke her. She jumped a couple of feet, probably thinking I wanted something falling within the kinky range.

I asked her, "Would thou have me for thy husband, would thou be my wife?" By now, her eyes were bulging out of her head. She went with 'yes'. Overall, it was a pretty good weekend.

We went together to get the ring. I was unsure what she would like and I figured if she was going to wear it for the rest of her life (hopefully), I wanted to be sure she liked it.

I was hitting it from behind and had rented out the entire circus midget side show to throw fish heads at me while singing we are the world in spanish.....

nahh just kidding. it is pretty funny, 4 months into our relationship we just agreed to get married one day. We had bought the house, pick the date, started planning the wedding before I asked her.

OK, so I get the blessing from the folks first, which went fine. I actually only got the blessing from her father, because I knew her mother wouldn't be able to act normal around her. I did this the same day we were going to Switzerland, and asked her Dad not to tell her Mom until after they had dropped us off at the airport.

So, we fly to Switzerland. I have this f'ing ring in my carry on. I was only worried about US security, because once I got to Switzerland, if they wanted to open my bag, I could have spoken Swiss to them and told them what was in the bag, and my wife wouldn't have understood a word. Luckily, that all went smoothly.

So, a few days into our trip, I was actually planning on doing it on February 14th but the weather was terrible, I took her to the top of the Jungfrau Joch, which is the highest accessible mountain via train in all of Europe, possibly the entire world if I'm not mistaken. They have this beautiful obsevatory, seen here, where the view is pretty impressive, and absolutely stunning.. So I took her outside, and asked her to marry me. After several minutes of crying, probably faced with the concept of spending the rest of her life me with, she accepted. And we're coming up on 7 years of marital bliss this August.

I tell everyone that I took her up there because in case she said no, I could throw her over the edge. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

We were spending the weekend in Marco Island. I had it written out in the sand in a 60 sq ft. area "will you marry me". I had the concierge help me plan it and set it up. I asked her if she wanted to take a walk on the beach and watch the sunset. As we were walking I had her turn around and read it as it was on a slope. She said yes, I had a bottle of champagne waiting on a private deck, we celebrated. :D

this is a pretty funny story, for us at least, i'll let you decide.....

she was living in boston, i was here in prescott. she was out for a visit over 4th of july and i had planned on asking her then. i got the blessing from her dad and hoped her mom wouldn't blow it. i went to the jeweler and told them what i wanted and they ordered the stones and told me i could choose from a few and pick out the ones i wanted when they got in. here's where things took a turn....

i got called out on fire duty. so here i am for the next 2 weeks talking to the jeweler on my cell phone knowing that my wife will fly in on the night i get demobilized from the fire. oh boy.

so i had the jeweler pick out the stones and they built the ring. now i had the issue of going home, getting my personal truck, picking up the ring, and picking up my wife from the airport. luckily i got de-mob'd a day early and had time to do that. ok, next screw up....

we went to the fireworks and i thought that would be a good time. so the whole night i have the ring waiting for the fireworks to end. we were sitting in the back of the truck when i thought the time was right. but this drunk ahole was screaming his face off just at the bottom of the hill we were sitting on. i yelled "shut up whomper!" a few times but it didn't work. (ok, i didn't yell, but the guy was real.) anyway this yahoo pretty much ruined the mood so i held off.....

now it's the last day she is in town and we have a hike planned to the top of granite mountain. it was one of our favorites so i knew the time was now. the problem is that when you're in arizona in july going on a hike, you aren't wearing a lot of clothes so there are no good places to hide a ring. i knew i couldn't just randomly stick it in our camelback because she would reach in and find it over the course of the day. so i grabbed a mini first aid kit and got it out. this is where she started making fun of me relentlessly because i was taking a first aid kit on just a couple hour hike. when i say relentless, i mean relentless. anyway, i snuck the ring in there, put it in the pack, and off we went.

next twist of fate was that about halfway up the hill (after she had continued to bust my balls about the first aid kit), she spiked her hand on a cactus along the trail. she said ouch, and then said "good thing you brought that first aid, ha, ha, ha, dork". a few minutes later she said, "wow, my finger is swelling up a little bit". darn, guess which finger it was. yep, left ring finger. so now i'm sweating thinking i'm not going to get the darn thing on. oh yeah, i didn't mention, she is still making fun of me for the kit.

anyway, we get to the top of the mountain (7600+ feet) and sit down and relax and talk about how much fun we have together and all that good stuff. (did i mention she is still making fun of me for the first aid kit?) i get out the first aid kit and she gives me one more dig about being a dork. and then i bust out the ring....

needless to say, she felt a little bit regretful that she busted my balls for 4 hours over the kit that was holding her ring. but it was good times and i'm glad the fireworks didn't work out because now we have a story to tell fine folks like yourselves.

I just got engaged last October and took the romantic route.

I took her to the covered bridge festival in Indiana for some good food and a lot of fun and relaxation. It was an absolutely beautiful blue sky day with a light breeze. We took a short wagon ride to a nearby 1900 village named Billy Creek. This town is an authentic 1900 small village with a General Store, blacksmith, small church, etc. There are large grazing fields and a large open courtyard in the middle of the village with a white gazeebo as the centerpiece. In the gazeebo were a few old white haired men plucking away at a few unique stringed instruments from that period. The sounds were pervading the courtyard. I brushed off some of the falling leaves from an old bench underneath a massive oak tree and we sat and soaked in the atmosphere and environment. I gazed into her eyes, gave her a light kiss and told her I loved her very much. I then slid onto one knee and asked if she would marry me. After she said yes, the men stopped playing and gave a short applause as did the few onlookers in the town. She shed a couple tears, we embraced and continued to enjoy our moment as the guys began playing again.

Was the most romantic I've ever been. Didn't know I had it in me. :D