[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vince Young in the NFL?

Goopster24

Reports are coming out that Young might be eyeing the NFL Draft. The only thing stopping him would be the status of the top five teams in the draft this year. He also doesn't know if he would even be a first round draft pick.

I think this guy is Vick 2. I don't know the statistics, but I would imagine that Young isn't even as good of a passer as Vick was coming out of college. Look how far Vick has gotten.

I'm not doubting Young's athletic ability but I don't think it will translate over to the NFL.

Thoughts? Either way, USC is gonna give him a beating tonight.

Young is twice the passer Vick was coming out of college, and even to this day, but his release point and mechanics are what is scaring scouts the most. Only 1 of the top 5 teams is eyeing a QB, New Orleans and they are very high on Leinart. Vince has said to those around him if he isnt going in the top 5, he will return to Texas. No doubt someone in round 1, would jump on him. So that is not an issue, but Vince wants more than to be a first round pick. I hope like hell Texas wins this game and Vince moves on. Dude is a beast at the college level, and all will get to see what those in the Big 12 have seen for the past 19 games.

I only saw part of one game he was in this year, as I don't watch college football much. He reminded me very much of Vick in that game. Didn't stay in the pocket much at all, threw wild. Threw a couple INTs. Team ended up winning the game after having to come back from those INTs. Can't remember who they played that day.

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Texas' Young leaning toward dodging NFL draft

Vince Young hasn't studied the 2006 NFL draft nearly as much as he has the Southern California defense that he will face in the Rose Bowl on Wednesday evening, in a game that will determine the national champion.

But the University of Texas quarterback and some of the people advising him about his football future have perused the composition of the top 10 teams in the draft. And the makeup of the top 10, especially the franchises with the first five choices in April, might be enough to convince Young to return to the Longhorns for his senior season in 2006.

The Heisman Trophy runner-up, Young has indicated this week that he plans to return to school to complete his eligibility, and sources close to the Texas quarterback confirmed to ESPN.com that he is clearly leaning that way. One reason he would return to Austin, those sources said, is the sense that, despite his enormous potential, Young might not be selected among the top five picks in the NFL lottery.

Many of the teams in the top 10 of the draft order have invested heavily on quarterbacks in recent years, and they might not be ready yet to give up on those picks, or inclined to use another high choice on the position. Of the teams in the top five, just one, the New Orleans Saints, who own the second overall pick, have a dire need at quarterback.

The New York Jets, with the No. 4 pick, are uncertain about the physical status of starter Chad Pennington, a first-round pick in 2000 who has undergone two shoulder surgeries in less than a year. But the Jets have a considerable financial investment in Pennington and will likely sign a veteran free agent as a contingency plan.

Three weeks ago, ESPN.com reported that Young and his family, working within the NCAA guidelines, were determining the process by which the Longhorns standout would meet with potential agents and evaluate suitors seeking to represent him. Key players in the process were Houston attorney Major Adams and Young's former high school coach, Ray Seals. But the process has not moved forward very much in recent weeks, primarily because it appears Young will eschew the 2006 draft.

Young has not completely decided against going into the '06 draft, and could revisit the notion, sources said. Notable is that Texas coach Mack Brown has demonstrated a rare ability to keep underclass prospects from bolting early to the professional ranks. Underclass players have until Jan. 15 to petition NFL officials for inclusion in the 2006 draft.

No matter how Young performs in the Rose Bowl, he and the people counseling him feel he probably won't move ahead of Matt Leinart, his counterpart from Southern Cal in the game, in the eyes of NFL scouts. League talent evaluators privately harbor some doubts about Leinart, especially over his arm strength, but he is still viewed at this early stage of the draft analysis process as the top senior quarterback prospect.

For all his athleticism and play-making skills, there are scouts who acknowledge that Young has some areas of his game, like his release point, that need work and that he would benefit from another college season. There are, however, no guarantees Young will be the top quarterback prospect in the 2007 draft, either, given the presence of Notre Dame star Brady Quinn.

Young, 22, has completed 414 of 678 passes in his college career, for 5,773 yards, with 44 touchdown passes and 28 interceptions. He has also run for 2,927 yards and 34 scores on 438 carries.

Look how far Vick has gotten.

1247700[/snapback]

Well, Vick has been to the playoffs twice including one trip to the NFC Championship game. He signed a 100+ million dollar deal. He sucks and I don't think he deserves all the hype, but he has gotten pretty far in my book. Vince Young will be much better than Vick in the NFL in my opinion. I agree with one of the posts above that compare him more to McNair than Vick.

Young is twice the passer Vick was coming out of college, and even to this day, but his release point and mechanics are what is scaring scouts the most.  Only 1 of the top 5 teams is eyeing a QB, New Orleans and they are very high on Leinart. Vince has said to those around him if he isnt going in the top 5, he will return to Texas. No doubt someone in round 1, would jump on him. So that is not an issue, but Vince wants more than to be a first round pick.  I hope like hell Texas wins this game and Vince moves on.  Dude is a beast at the college level, and all will get to see what those in the Big 12 have seen for the past 19 games.

1247717[/snapback]

If Young comes out and available at the #3 pick, I guarantee that the Titans will pick him. No question this guy will be a top 10 pick if he comes out.

Well, Vick has been to the playoffs twice including one trip to the NFC Championship game.  He signed a 100+ million dollar deal.  He sucks and I don't think he deserves all the hype, but he has gotten pretty far in my book.  Vince Young will be much better than Vick in the NFL in my opinion.  I agree with one of the posts above that compare him more to McNair than Vick.

1247751[/snapback]

In my book, getting far consitutues most of what you said but also this: His team has never had a back to back winning season. They haven't gotten to the Super Bowl and for the most part have the talent to.

This isn't a bash Vick thread, it's a bash Vince Young thread :D .

Reports are coming out that Young might be eyeing the NFL Draft. The only thing stopping him would be the status of the top five teams in the draft this year. He also doesn't know if he would even be a first round draft pick.

I think this guy is Vick 2. I don't know the statistics, but I would imagine that Young isn't even as good of a passer as Vick was coming out of college. Look how far Vick has gotten.

I'm not doubting Young's athletic ability but I don't think it will translate over to the NFL.

Thoughts? Either way, USC is gonna give him a beating tonight.

1247700[/snapback]

I've heard nothing about him leaving school after this year. Didn't he say he was staying?

If Young comes out and available at the #3 pick, I guarantee that the Titans will pick him.  No question this guy will be a top 10 pick if he comes out.

1247762[/snapback]

Which would then call a press conference by Rosenhaus and Volek ... NEXT QUESTION.

Take this for what it's worth, but that Notre Dame homer that does the college games for ESPN (I forget his name) said on TV that if he were an NFL GM, he would take Vince Young over Leinart right now.

This is also the same guy that said Rick Mirer would win two or three Heismans. :D

Before this season I'd have called him Vick 2.  AFter paying attention this year, he reminds me more of a young McNabb.  Despite McNabb being an Iggle, that is a compliment.

1247812[/snapback]

Are you sure that's a compliment? I hear McNabb is overrated. :D

VY is much better than Vick. He is more putting McNair, Culpepper and Vick in a blender, and he is what you get. He leads the NCAA in QB Rating, so the guy can pass the ball. He has somewhat of a low release point that some are questioning, but at 6-5, it is still higher than most QB's release points. I think if anything the comparisons to Vick are hurting him. He is the most dominant QB in college football, and he could be a very good pro.