[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Proper Baseball etiquette

MikesVikes

Is it wrong to indicate to the other fans (parents) of your HS baseball team that your kid is pitching but is giving up unearned runs? As to blame the other kids on the team for screwing up your kid's performance?

Is it wrong to curse under your breath (everyone near you can hear it) when a ball is hit to an infielder BEFORE he has a chance to screw up the play? Even though it is very likely that he will screw the play up?

Is it wrong to curse the 2nd baseman for not covering the base when your kid, who is the pitcher, wanted to throw out the baserunner that is stealing?

Btw, my kid isn't the pitcher.

Edited by MikesVikes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Worry about your own kid and helping him to make proper plays and decisions. (This isn't directed at you, just a statement in general)

Now it's ok to think some of these things but most of us know when a team is giving up unearned runs and the kid is pitching a decent game otherwise. The uninformed mom or dad will not know this but that's no reason to say out loud that the kid isn't giving up earned runs, tacky imo.

I would probably say duh if I heard that from someone. :D

Edited by chiefjay

The only way these kids today are ever going to learn anything is by charging the field from the stands and kicking some ass. Or take over the coach's job and play your own kids who are clearly superior athletically, physically and emotionally than every other kid that has ever existed in human history.

I blame the parents for waiting too long to take this route. They shouldn't have waited until High School.

Our team has a 3rd baseman that has been battling to say the least. He can't pick up a ball off the ground 95% of the time. The last few games he's played 2nd base instead. The kid has zero confidence right now.

He flubbed a routine grounder up the middle and I yelled out "no harm" since it was the first hit of the inning and they didn't score off of that one anyway. I had to yell over Mr. Negativity, who was lashing out at the kid while his parents were nearby. The kid played better after that.

On a side note, I coached about half of these players in summer ball, including the kid mentioned above. It's great watching these kids grow up and see most of them play the same positions that I put them at.

Edited by MikesVikes

Our team has a 3rd baseman that has been battling to say the least. He can't pick up a ball off the ground 95% of the time. The last few games he's played 2nd base instead. The kid has zero confidence right now.

He flubbed a routine grounder up the middle and I yelled out "no harm" since it was the first hit of the inning and they didn't score off of that one anyway. I had to yell over Mr. Negativity, who was lashing out at the kid while his parents were nearby. The kid played better after that.

Personally, I'd call out Mr. Negativity (away from the public eye) whether it was my kid flubbing it or not. No place for that. These are young people who have enough to deal with, already.

Personally, I'd call out Mr. Negativity (away from the public eye) whether it was my kid flubbing it or not. No place for that. These are young people who have enough to deal with, already.

yup i would do the same .. then kick his ass for being a wetoad...

Ive been to a few of my nephews games and have seen this go on..The blabbermouth parent makes everyone uncomfortable and opens himself up to fights. My brothers son is an awesome player..Coaches dream type of kid..Plays hard , never ever complains and has talent but is very humble..I have seen him pitch gems and have as many as 4-6 unearned runs but my brother who attends every game would never call a kid out no matter how bad they were making it for his kid on the mound..I agree with Wiegie..I would call the dad out

Ive been to a few of my nephews games and have seen this go on..The blabbermouth parent makes everyone uncomfortable and opens himself up to fights. My brothers son is an awesome player..Coaches dream type of kid..Plays hard , never ever complains and has talent but is very humble..I have seen him pitch gems and have as many as 4-6 unearned runs but my brother who attends every game would never call a kid out no matter how bad they were making it for his kid on the mound..I agree with Wiegie..I would call the dad out

I've seen this go on at several sporting events I have been to. I'm urged to say something back to the unruly parent, but, then I think the same thing I think every time I'm left with a tough decision:

"What would Paul do ?"

My wife took care of a guy like this at a swim meet. He spent 2 hours pissing and moaning about his kid's bad performance (in his mind) that day. Our older kids father stood up and got in his way, so he yelled for him to sit. I calmly told him to just ask next time. Apparently, he said something under his breath that I didn't hear, but my wife did. She stood up and told him to 'shut up, everyone here is sick of hearing you bitch about your kid all day'. He got very quiet after that, and everyone who heard it laughed about it.

Usually, if you call someone out like that, they seem to know they are being an ass. It's rare that a fight occurs, but just be ready in case you've got a real momo on your hands.

My wife took care of a guy like this at a swim meet. He spent 2 hours pissing and moaning about his kid's bad performance (in his mind) that day. Our older kids father stood up and got in his way, so he yelled for him to sit. I calmly told him to just ask next time. Apparently, he said something under his breath that I didn't hear, but my wife did. She stood up and told him to 'shut up, everyone here is sick of hearing you bitch about your kid all day'. He got very quiet after that, and everyone who heard it laughed about it.

Usually, if you call someone out like that, they seem to know they are being an ass. It's rare that a fight occurs, but just be ready in case you've got a real momo on your hands.

The reason there wasn't a fight was because a woman called him out. If a man calls him out, it's on.

I've seen this go on at several sporting events I have been to. I'm urged to say something back to the unruly parent, but, then I think the same thing I think every time I'm left with a tough decision:

"What would Paul do ?"

:D

Mike,

I know this must be difficult and it is clear from the questions that you know that the actions you describe are wrong. Just my two cents, but I think you are well within the realm of proper etiquette, to politely tell Roger Clemens that you recognize that Koby is pitching a whale of a game and that the Bad News Bears are spoiling his perfect game. You should then of course thank him for explaining the finer points of the game and apologize for the general ineptness of the rest of the club.

After that, I think maybe......

This

:D

Edited by Hardrocker