[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone here have Lasik surgery?

Vicky

I'm trying to figure out how to go about this. My eyes recently decided that they absolutely hate contacts now. That doesn't work out well for me. I'm starting to think that I might want to get lasik surgery after all. But.... How do you pick the doc to do the surgery? We only get one set of eyes, so shopping around for the lowest bidder sounds like a stupid idea. Insurance companies may be more willing to work with certain groups of doctors than others (TLC in my case, I think), but is trusting the insurance company's monetary opinions really the best way to go? I could try personal recommendations, but that only goes so far as it seems that everyone that I know of has gone to different doctors.

So how the hell do you go about this?

I just looked into it but found out my eyes weren't bad enough yet. My eye doctor told me that there are doctors out there that will gladly do LASIK on my eyes but she wouldn't recommend it. I would do some research and go to a reputable surgeon, screw the insurance.

EDIT: The way I look at it, it's your eyes were talking about here so try not to cut any corners.

Edited by twiley

My wife got the Lasik correction last fall. Our insurance does not cover this procedure so that was not a concern. We went by word of mouth. Her doctor came highly recommended by friends and collegues. Price was a little higher than other places, but she got the extended lifetime warranty (free corrections) and the pre and post op visits were included. We're in the southern Ohio area if that helps.

Had it done about 7 years ago. I'm pretty much back where I started at this point. It was great for a while, but my eyes have gotten worse now and I'm pretty sure I need glasses once again.

Best thing is just to get local recommendations on the people in your area who are doing the procedures. Also, I'd suggest going for the best (highest technology) laser that they offer. I went for the cheaper laser and am now wishing I hadn't.

I had it done about 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did, and my eyes are still going strong.

I remember getting upset that I coulsn't read a license plate from 60 yards, but, no one but Superman realistically can.

Shop around, look at the various options (Wavefront, etc.) and go with what you feel best/most comfortable with.

Had mine done last fall. Definitely find the doctor with the most up to date technology as it has changed in the last year (the newest is some maching that maps your eye ahead of time and if your eye slightly moves, it adjusts accordingly or stops temporarily.

I think word of mouth is probably the best way otherwise.

Most (if not all) will give you a free screening. Why not get them from a few offices and compare - ask lots of questions.

Vicky, do a search on Lasik. I had it done a couple of years ago and did a pretty big writeup. Bottom line was that it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

I'm trying to figure out how to go about this. My eyes recently decided that they absolutely hate contacts now. That doesn't work out well for me. I'm starting to think that I might want to get lasik surgery after all. But.... How do you pick the doc to do the surgery? We only get one set of eyes, so shopping around for the lowest bidder sounds like a stupid idea. Insurance companies may be more willing to work with certain groups of doctors than others (TLC in my case, I think), but is trusting the insurance company's monetary opinions really the best way to go? I could try personal recommendations, but that only goes so far as it seems that everyone that I know of has gone to different doctors.

So how the hell do you go about this?

I got laser vision correction just over 4 years ago and I kick myself for not doing it sooner!!! :D It is definitely one of the better decisions I've made, and cannot begin to recommend it enough. I still have 20/10 vision and before I had a -4.5 / -5.0 prescription.

However, as you mentioned, I would not shop around for the "best price" or a doctor that offers "coupons", or someone who has set up shop in a strip mall. I've known several people who have gone to places like this, and every one of them has had to go back for "adjustments", and had other issues like "halo effects" with lights. :doh:

If you don't know where to start, first talk to your family physician about top notch laser vision doctors in the area, then talk to as many people as you can to get recommendations and find out how their surgeries went. Personally, I talked to almost 30 different people who had it done, and after a ton of conversations and research, I narrowed it down to two different doctors in my area. I made appointments to see both. Both were within $100 in price from each other, and ended up with the one I felt most comfortable with who also had the highest number of recommendations from others I had also talked with. My surgery in total with all aftercare appointments (each week for the first month, then at 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year) cost me $3500.00.

Others I know paid less upfront to some of the fly by night places, but ended going back multiple times over the years for corrections and with fees later on, ended up paying more than I did up front.

It is an expensive surgery but if you've lived with glasses and contacts all your life, it's definitely worth it IMHO!!!! :tup: And if you can get insurance to pay for any part of it, props to you. They didn't when I went through the surgery though.

The other cool part was they put me on Valium for the surgery, so I was very loopy for the surgery itself, but as the laser was doing the correction on each eye, I could actually begin seeing more clearly as the procedure was being done. :D It was very cool!!!!!

Had mine done last fall. Definitely find the doctor with the most up to date technology as it has changed in the last year (the newest is some maching that maps your eye ahead of time and if your eye slightly moves, it adjusts accordingly or stops temporarily.

I think word of mouth is probably the best way otherwise.

Most (if not all) will give you a free screening. Why not get them from a few offices and compare - ask lots of questions.

Good info here. My surgeon had this kind of laser. I've also heard that there are new lasers out there that will not only map to your eye, but will track with your eye if it moves even a fraction of a milimeter. The laser will match any move to accomidate for any minute movements. Good info though. :D

Edited by Big Dogs

Just be prepared for the pain... when the eyeball is cut, don't be surprised if blood spurts out on your chest, wear and old shirt.

The laser burns pretty f'n bad, but after the first 30 min or so, you get used to it, the last 3 hours of laser surgury, after you get used to the pain, and the burning smell, aren't so bad.

Just be prepared for the pain... when the eyeball is cut, don't be surprised if blood spurts out on your chest, wear and old shirt.

The laser burns pretty f'n bad, but after the first 30 min or so, you get used to it, the last 3 hours of laser surgury, after you get used to the pain, and the burning smell, aren't so bad.

:D

He got a good deal too, with a coupon!!! The Earl Scheib special -- $99.95, any eye, any color. :D

Edited by Big Dogs

Dude, I think you went to the wrong place. :D

:D:D:D:tup::doh:

Dude!!! You are tooooo F'n Much! :clap:

I was disappointed with my experience. The reason, I didn't get it done. I was hoping to have it done because I had reached the age where I noticed my vision had started to deteriorate! If it means anything this is what I was told by one of the better eye surgeons in my area.

On one of my groups operations, the dipsh!t decided to shoot a round (shotgun) at us through his front window... while it was still closed. GLASS EVERYWHERE, including my right eye (my better eye too :clap: ). Fortunately since it was on-the-job, price and doctor choice are not considerations and one of the best optothamalic (SP?? :D ) surgeons in the area was brought in to take care of me.

I recovered with no permanent eye damage and at the final checkup, I asked him about lasik. He gave me a quick evaluation and told me that my eyes were not bad enough to "risk" the procedure (there are risks, though minimal). I have astigmatism in each eye and have always been a little far sighted. Farsightedness gets worse as you get older and I was getting tired of my readers and distant vision was not as sharp as it used to be.

He also told me that most people/docs you go to will do the surgery if you want it. He said that with some of the worst cases, he felt it was a successful operation if he got people to see as well as I do without glasses! He also said that it was probable that I would have to continue to wear reader glasses, especially as my eyes continued to age (I am in my late 40's). This candid and honest evaluation has really stuck with me! He could have made some $$$ on me, but chose ethics over profit!

Apparently "they" are experimenting with a new technology that injects a gell into the lens itself that will soften it up enough so the muscles can streatch the lens and clear up near vision problems in us old farts. The lens of the eye is relaxed for distance vision and pulled thinner by the muscles for viewing close up. As your eye gets older the muscles weaken and the lens gets stiffer. If this is your problem, it is less intrusive and may be worth waiting for!

I don't know if this helped, but go see a bunch of doctors before having you eyes operated on. It is NOT "just" a procedure, it is an OPERATION!

Thanks for all your input! My problem is that I'm a bit far-sighted, even though my distance vision isn't that great either. I also have astigmatisms in both eyes. It's not horrible, but it's not great either. I've worn contacts for over 10 years now, and just kept my glasses around for at night and those one or two times a year when allergies really piss off my eyes and I can't take the contacts at all.

Right before we left for Vegas, I had one of those fare-ups and I spent the whole trip either blind or feeling dorky. I've been to my eye doctor and was diagnosed with nothing specific although it looked to her like I might have had some sort of virus or something and got some eye drops to use for a week. It's now 3 weeks later and my eyes still feel pissed off at the thought of me sticking contacts to them. While I do intend to go back again to double check that nothing else is wrong, I'm coming around to the idea that all this is BS and I just don't wanna anymore.

So with that little history lesson out of the way - I've seen/heard a lot of talk about TLC partners. Did those of you that had it done go to a TLC center or somewhere else? Any advantages (or not) for using a large network like them? I think that's where Tiger Woods had his done.... Can't be that bad, right? :D