[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who here has had General Anesthesia?

Pope Flick

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been under twice--once for my wisdom teeth and once for an endoscopy.

Both times I distinctly remember sort of waking up once in the middle of the procedure when there was a lot of pain, but then quickly being back under again.

I've heard about people for whom the anesthesia doesn't work right... it causes them to be temporarily paralyzed (like it is supposed to) but it doesn't really put them to sleep. So they are laying there fully conscious of the operation AND feeling the pain of the operation, but with no way to indicate to anybody that they are awake. (But, I'm sure that won't happen to you.) :D :oldrazz:

Been under for about 10 operations.

One time after the operation my digestive system fell asleep for about 4 days. It would not process anything scary time. Its called iliu-something or other.

More than once I couldn't pee after, had to have that damn catheter put in. That sucks.

I had my knee replacement down without being put under(spinal block). That's a different experience. I heard them pounding something in the vice, drills drilling. I'll never do that again.

Had it when I had heart surgery. I asked Dr when it would be over and she said 5 o'clock. I went out and she later told my wife that about 5 o'clock I started stirring and they had to knock me out again. Haven' t had an alarm clock in the last twenty years just wake up naturally.

Plenty over the last 10 months. I've woken up just groggy and thirsty, :D woken up and puked my guts out :wacko: , woken up in pain and pissed about it, :wacko: and woke up and immediately starting hitting on my nurse. :wacko:

I've been under plenty in the past few years. Fortunately I haven't had any sickness and the related pain has been cured by drugs. :wacko:

I went under for my wisdom teeth in '96. I think I woke up part of the way through. When it was over, I woke up and was very talkative and craved McDonald's. :D

Went under 3 years ago for my Achilles tendon repair and that went fine. Same with my hernia surgery a couple years ago.

Took two pills after arriving at the office for wisdom teeth exaction ... I only remember about 10 minutes worth of that whole first half of the day. I do remember trying to turn on my mp3 player and I think the doc took my battery and gave me a bum one ... coulda swore it worked before. Apparently people were asking me questions and stuff and I gave them answers but I remember nothing of the sort. Didn't feel a thing which was ok with me. I sure felt it for the next week though. Glad that is over with ... good weight loss plan though.

I get my wisdom teeth pulled next Thursday and am scared as hell about the Anesthesia. Scared of not waking up....I've heard some bad stories.

I was nervous too cause I don't take ANY medicine. I never get sick...NOTHING. I had my wisdom teeth pulled on election day 2004. My client who was thenurse said to count from 10 backwards...later she said she thought she heard me mumble eig.....then nothing. I do remember them giving me instructions through the surgery..but not vivid memories. I guess you are not fully "out" you just simply don't care!!!! Anyway...during the procedure they showed me my wisdom teeth....those roots a freaking long. I do somewhat remember that. Since I don't do drugs or drink or take any medication....it was a downright cool experience. NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF.

I had general anesthesia twice last year and did fine with both.....dropping off to sleep quickly and waking up in the recovery room with no after-effects. The drugs they use now are absolutely amazing in how fast they work and how quickly they can be reversed. I'm thinking you'll do well with your general anesthesia.

Never been put under. Had one of my wisdom teeth out earlier this year. All I had was a xanax (my own perscription :D) and something in a needle that they stuck in my gums. I didnt feel a thing. The wrenching sound was pretty nasty though.

Had mine out with a local too. While he was pulling it out of them shattered. that was a creepy feeling

I had general anesthesia twice last year and did fine with both.....dropping off to sleep quickly and waking up in the recovery room with no after-effects. The drugs they use now are absolutely amazing in how fast they work and how quickly they can be reversed. I'm thinking you'll do well with your general anesthesia.

Well...things went well, and Lm shcoked at how smooth this went. I got stitched up and was awake and remebering conversation with 35-40 minutes.

I never got the countdown, as they juiced me up before wheeling me into the OR and all I remember was a hallway.

BTW-that post a few above that was my reply to dmarc was not a joke. I now have a 4 inch scar on my neck beginning just below my left ear. I'm even more badass than before. The cyst was 7 cm long and about 5 around. :D

Well...things went well, and Lm shcoked at how smooth this went. I got stitched up and was awake and remebering conversation with 35-40 minutes.

I never got the countdown, as they juiced me up before wheeling me into the OR and all I remember was a hallway.

BTW-that post a few above that was my reply to dmarc was not a joke. I now have a 4 inch scar on my neck beginning just below my left ear. I'm even more badass than before. The cyst was 7 cm long and about 5 around. :D

Good luck w/ that. A friend of mine (actually a cop at my college) had something similar. Will they come back? His did every 5 years or so. Sorry for that tidbit, but I thought you should know.

Glad to hear your experience was pretty good. All that's left for you now is the pain of looking up in the NFC North standings to see the Lions.

A couple of my colleagues are anesthesiologists.

They said the only time an anesthesiologist uses the "Count backwards from 100" is on little kids (mask induction) and men with tiny peeners. :D

They asked mt to count backwards and I'm not a little ki...............NEVER MIND!