[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My First business trip

whomper

I have been at my company for 12 years and next week I will be making my first business trip of my career. I am in fabric sales in the garment center in NYC.In my industry 90% of my accounts are in walking distance and anyone out of town usually comes into NY periodically to see new product. Express is one of my better accounts and we were invited to a vendor day in Columbus Ohio. I arrive Monday and leave Thursday. I plan on meeting up with Steelbunz while I am out there and look forward to it. My kids act like I am going away for 2 months and they both said I shoulnt be able to go because I went to Vegas this year :D I know Darin travels a ton in his job and Puddy also does some traveling as well..What about the rest of you ? On the road a lot ? A little ? Not at all ?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated travelling in my old job ( trips to Geneva , South America and some states including Florida )

i am a home body and like being in my own house at night

my new job which i began a month ago , makes travelling apparently much less frequent for me and i love that fact

Good luck on your trip Whomper ....

its important to let the TSA agents in the airport know if you are carrying any tweezers or nail file in your suitcase before it goes through the x-ray machine :D

I'm in the DelMarVa area every 6 weeks. In Florida every 6 weeks. In California every 6 weeks. I space 'em apart to where I'm traveling about every 2-3 weeks... I oftentimes combine the trips. For instance, I will be flying to Philly on December 5th, driving down to a project in Delaware. Then waking up on the 6th and driving to Virginia to inspect a project south of DC. Then I fly from DC to Florida. Wake up on the 7th and inspect two projects on the east coast of Florida (sorry 'teve, gonna have to pass on The Egg yet again :wacko:).

Darin's Guide to Business Travel:

Suggestion #1 - Pre-pack your toiletries: Why take the time to grab all your toiletries from the bathroom when you're packing? Odds are you're going to forget something. Buy a handsome toiletry bag and fill it with everything you may need (Q-tips, deodorant, shampoo, toothbrush/paste, etc.). Makes it way easier to just throw it in your suitcase and go. Don't forget, though, that the TSA regulations are harsh on toiletries now. So if you're not checking your luggage, make sure all your toiletries are 3 oz. or less and in a plastic ziplock bag. I typically just check my bag to avoid this stuff, plus I usually have two carry-ons as it is. For more info on these TSA regulations, visit: http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Suggestion #2 - Get to the airport early: Some of my colleagues are "last-minuters". I simply hate being rushed and would rather be early. Why not get there early and take any extra time to review email (assuming the airport has wireless access) or read the paper? Getting there early also ensures that you do in fact have your seat of choice, check for possible seat/cabin upgrades, and allows you to grab a bottled water (since you can't bring it through security, per TSA regulations) ... and that all-important last bathroom visit.

Suggestion #3 - Splurge on toys: If you're a road (or rather, air) warrior, you probably already have these. If you don't, go get 'em. I highly recommend purchasing noise-canceling headphones. Bose has been the big name in this technology, but at this point, you're really just (over)paying for the name when you buy Bose. A better selection would be Audio Technica's iteration. Half the cost, just as good sound. Pair your headphones, which block out airplane noise, screaming babies, loud-mouth weetodds, etc., with either an iPod or similar mp3 player or a DVD player. I, of course, have opted for both. I'm slowly but surely catching up on all the movies I've missed over the past couple of years. Watching a movie on the plane really makes the time fly by. Pun intended.

Suggestion #4 - Get the frequent flier/renter/etc. cards: I can't believe it took me so long to figure out that you should not only have frequent flier cards, but get the same deals at rental car agencies and hotels. Best example is National Rent-a-Car's Emerald program. I bypass the counter. I even bypass the "special" off-airport kiosk. I simply go from shuttle to the car of my choice - which is automatically upgraded to their better cars - get in, drive off. I simply stop at the gate, show my ID and Emerald card, and I'm off.

Suggestion #5 - Hit up the local flavor: I have had a bunch of fun (sometimes even flying solo) at local pubs, restaurants, etc. in random cities. Those that have Orlando ties or know of what I speak will probably shudder in glee when I mention "anything goes at Mako's". :D I usually hit up Yahoo! Maps or something to check out what food/drink options are nearby, and check 'em out. Why be boring and stay at your hotel?

A few other random thoughts: Swiss Gear luggage (don't forget the TSA-approved locks), extra phone chargers (I keep an extra car charger in my work/laptop bag), weather.com (snow's a-comin')...

:D

If you have a layover & are bringing a laptop make sure to carry your charger. It may be a bulky pain in the butt, but you'll be missing it when your battery dies halfway through watching your movie on the flight. :D

Oh and you know those shorter lines at the airport that are for "Gold Club Members Only" etc? They never check to see if you actually are. :D

Edited by rajncajn

Do most hotels have hook ups in the rooms to make getting a laptop signal easy ? I am commish of my main local and I will have some work to do next week for that league..Plus at night I want to have net access

Do most hotels have hook ups in the rooms to make getting a laptop signal easy ? I am commish of my main local and I will have some work to do next week for that league..Plus at night I want to have net access

Most hotels are either wireless or at very least have hard-wired ethernet.

You should be good.

If you book your room ahead of time, which you should, you can pick one that has whatever service you want.

I'm in the DelMarVa area every 6 weeks. In Florida every 6 weeks. In California every 6 weeks. I space 'em apart to where I'm traveling about every 2-3 weeks... I oftentimes combine the trips. For instance, I will be flying to Philly on December 5th, driving down to a project in Delaware. Then waking up on the 6th and driving to Virginia to inspect a project south of DC. Then I fly from DC to Florida. Wake up on the 7th and inspect two projects on the east coast of Florida (sorry 'teve, gonna have to pass on The Egg yet again :wacko:).

Darin's Guide to Business Travel:

Suggestion #1 - Pre-pack your toiletries: Why take the time to grab all your toiletries from the bathroom when you're packing? Odds are you're going to forget something. Buy a handsome toiletry bag and fill it with everything you may need (Q-tips, deodorant, shampoo, toothbrush/paste, etc.). Makes it way easier to just throw it in your suitcase and go. Don't forget, though, that the TSA regulations are harsh on toiletries now. So if you're not checking your luggage, make sure all your toiletries are 3 oz. or less and in a plastic ziplock bag. I typically just check my bag to avoid this stuff, plus I usually have two carry-ons as it is. For more info on these TSA regulations, visit: http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Suggestion #2 - Get to the airport early: Some of my colleagues are "last-minuters". I simply hate being rushed and would rather be early. Why not get there early and take any extra time to review email (assuming the airport has wireless access) or read the paper? Getting there early also ensures that you do in fact have your seat of choice, check for possible seat/cabin upgrades, and allows you to grab a bottled water (since you can't bring it through security, per TSA regulations) ... and that all-important last bathroom visit.

Suggestion #3 - Splurge on toys: If you're a road (or rather, air) warrior, you probably already have these. If you don't, go get 'em. I highly recommend purchasing noise-canceling headphones. Bose has been the big name in this technology, but at this point, you're really just (over)paying for the name when you buy Bose. A better selection would be Audio Technica's iteration. Half the cost, just as good sound. Pair your headphones, which block out airplane noise, screaming babies, loud-mouth weetodds, etc., with either an iPod or similar mp3 player or a DVD player. I, of course, have opted for both. I'm slowly but surely catching up on all the movies I've missed over the past couple of years. Watching a movie on the plane really makes the time fly by. Pun intended.

Suggestion #4 - Get the frequent flier/renter/etc. cards: I can't believe it took me so long to figure out that you should not only have frequent flier cards, but get the same deals at rental car agencies and hotels. Best example is National Rent-a-Car's Emerald program. I bypass the counter. I even bypass the "special" off-airport kiosk. I simply go from shuttle to the car of my choice - which is automatically upgraded to their better cars - get in, drive off. I simply stop at the gate, show my ID and Emerald card, and I'm off.

Suggestion #5 - Hit up the local flavor: I have had a bunch of fun (sometimes even flying solo) at local pubs, restaurants, etc. in random cities. Those that have Orlando ties or know of what I speak will probably shudder in glee when I mention "anything goes at Mako's". :D I usually hit up Yahoo! Maps or something to check out what food/drink options are nearby, and check 'em out. Why be boring and stay at your hotel?

A few other random thoughts: Swiss Gear luggage (don't forget the TSA-approved locks), extra phone chargers (I keep an extra car charger in my work/laptop bag), weather.com (snow's a-comin')...

:D

This is all good advice for whomper, who will be able to take advantage of all these suggestions for this trip and his next business trip 12 years from now.

I realized 2 years ago when I was in Little Rock Arkansas and they had ethernet, that I'd never have to worry again about hook ups or wireless. Most places are wireless now days.

Oh yea....Columbus isn't my favorite city by any means...but the downtown sports area is kind of cool and you might be able to catch a Blue Jackets Hockey game.

I'd recommend Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Elevator Brewery if you are into those kind of things.

Cool..Thanks..I think 1 night Express holds a banquet but the other 2 nights are free..I am going with 1 of my bosses who is a good guy..When I get there I will be able to figure out what night is free and what night we have that dinner. I have to call Bunz to coordinate meeting her when I see we have free time..It should be a good trip. We will be showing the line for 12 hours on Tuesday and wednesday ..Then thursday we set up an appoitment with Abercrombie and Fitch..Then we leave