[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time to shop for a decent watch

Puddy

i would definitely chat with wiegie before buying... just to see what prices are over there

I will say that Hugh One's caution about buying a watch in Switzerland is reasonable. While I was looking at watches I would often compare the price they were selling for in the US vs what they cost over here and it was often significantly cheaper in the US. It just so happened that on the watch I ended up buying I got a good deal over here.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say that Hugh One's caution about buying a watch in Switzerland is reasonable. While I was looking at watches I would often compare the price they were selling for in the US vs what they cost over here and it was often significantly cheaper in the US. It just so happened that on the watch I ended up buying I got a good deal over here.

our weak dollar at work for us?

I used to go through a watch every 3 to 6 months. I'm very hard on them. About 11 years ago I got a Seiko very similar to this. It lasted about 5 years or so. After it finally went belly up I bought this Tag. I've had it for about 6 years or so now. I really like it as I can wear it working in the yard, in the pool, lake or ocean, or to a board meeting. I have a Rolex that was given to me, and it is a piece of crap. Rolex's are nice looking, but they just don't keep time well.

i got mine a while ago...... the savings plus the VAT meant a $1,300 watch for about $830 in interlaken.

There will always be exceptions, but the Swiss pricing on exports is very favorable. The current exchange rate makes it better, but in general Swiss watches were always more expensive in Switzerland than anywhere else.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

There will always be exceptions, but the Swiss pricing on exports is very favorable. The current exchange rate makes it better, but in general Swiss watches were always more expensive in Switzerland than anywhere else.

Geneva is most expensive place i have ever seen

many of the taxi's are mercedes

needed an umbrella , cheapest one they had in hotel gift shop was over 45 usd ..suffice to say my suit got wet

I am VERY rough on watches, even dress watches. Which is why I go with a Seiko or Timex for everyday use. I abuse them and they never stop working. Had a Tag when I dated a gal that was in the biz. It would stop from time to time for no reason. Same with Movado. Just stops. Have been told it is my body chemistry or something by techs whom couldn't figure why they did, told those people they were crackin' smoke. For middle to higher end I would go Omega. My Omega dress, which is now over 16 years old has not lost a minute. Awesome watch.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

I am VERY rough on watches, even dress watches. Which is why I go with a Seiko or Timex for everyday use. I abuse them and they never stop working. Had a Tag when I dated a gal that was in the biz. It would stop from time to time for no reason. Same with Movado. Just stops. Have been told it is my body chemistry or something by techs whom couldn't figure why they did, told those people they were crackin' smoke. For middle to higher end I would go Omega. My Omega dress, which is now over 16 years old has not lost a minute. Awesome watch.

I love my TAG and have never had one single problem with it.

I had a problem with my Tag for a while. It is a kinetic watch, and if I sit too long on the computer it would stop. I bought a kinetic watch winder, put it in there during the night, and all is good.

I had a problem with my Tag for a while. It is a kinetic watch, and if I sit too long on the computer it would stop. I bought a kinetic watch winder, put it in there during the night, and all is good.

During football season on Sundays it's not uncommon for this to happen to my watches. :wacko:

Did it take her long to recover from the surgery? Been thinking about getting my wife some soon.

we got the wife a tissot and one of my tags in 99. i bet you are wanting to get your wife some...how old is baby #2 now?

Edited by Bier Meister

I used to go through a watch every 3 to 6 months. I'm very hard on them. About 11 years ago I got a Seiko very similar to this. It lasted about 5 years or so. After it finally went belly up I bought this Tag. I've had it for about 6 years or so now. I really like it as I can wear it working in the yard, in the pool, lake or ocean, or to a board meeting. I have a Rolex that was given to me, and it is a piece of crap. Rolex's are nice looking, but they just don't keep time well.

My Explorer loses about 2-2.5 seconds a month against the military clock. I can live with this considering I can dump the watch any time for more than I paid for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more questions.

Would you always buy from an authorized dealer? Most online dealers are not authorized for TAG apparently. The only brick & mortar store in my area (Fred Meyer) has the TAG Carrera for $1,525.00 + tax = $1,617. Can get it online from seemingly good yet unauthorized dealers for $1,300 out the door. The Movado I liked and linked to in my first post is $722 at Fred Meyer and right now is $494 at Overstock.com.

Also, Fred Meyer offered a warranty (TAG has a 2-year that covers the movement) for cosmetic things for an additional $130 for 3 years. Anyone recommend that?

Couple more questions.

Would you always buy from an authorized dealer? Most online dealers are not authorized for TAG apparently. The only brick & mortar store in my area (Fred Meyer) has the TAG Carrera for $1,525.00 + tax = $1,617. Can get it online from seemingly good yet unauthorized dealers for $1,300 out the door. The Movado I liked and linked to in my first post is $722 at Fred Meyer and right now is $494 at Overstock.com.

Also, Fred Meyer offered a warranty (TAG has a 2-year that covers the movement) for cosmetic things for an additional $130 for 3 years. Anyone recommend that?

Good questions. Would the TAG warranty be void if you don't buy from an authorized dealer? What would the "cosmetic things" cover at Fred Meyer?

E2A: I've had a Movado (some time ago) and I wasn't all too impressed. :wacko:

Edited by darin3