[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leave your manliness/macho-ness outside of this thread.

irish

Snakes. No matter how big or how small. If I see one when I am mowing the lawn, I run like a little girl and make my wife come and shoo it out of the yard!

And to go with the marine animals that bite, I hate dogfish that sit in the shallows when I am in my waders fishing bass in the spring. You kick them out and they brush up against your leg, scares the he11 out of me ever time!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest fear is bees/wasps/hornets.

Couple stories to share...

-When I was younger, say 10 or 11, I remember playing in my yard and somehow pi$$ing off a underground nest of yellow jackets. I still can vividly see one of those ba$tards on my NOSE, stinging away ... :wacko:

-A couple of years later, a couple of friends and I were hanging out at one of their places and we were riding bikes around the front yard, acting stupid. I remember losing control of my bike and running into a bush - that had a bees nest. My friends still laugh at me cause I ran into this dude's house screaming my head off while getting stung and swatting them off me.

-A few more years later, I was mowing the front lawn of my family's house in north jersey. Apparently between the last time I mowed the lawn and this time, some yellow jackets (probably the same ones when I was a kid and tracked me down) had made themselves an underground nest in the lawn. Ever run over a bee's nest with a mower? Don't...

Oh and to add...I have a fear of drowning. I don't know how to swim so that makes it even worse.

One more, now that I think about it...dying all alone. I would like to have the people I love still around with me when I go, but that may not happen.

Edited by bigmike4969

I'm scared of sharks and any other marine animal that might bite me.

I also am scared of choking (which has to do with some esophagus problems I have had in recent years).

I'm also scared that I will be a bad parent.

And finally, I am most scared that when people die that is it (and that there is no afterlife of some sort).

Wow!! Mentioning these helped nail a few on the head for me as well. You and I have already discussed the throat problems we share. Even after I had the procedure done that stretched the rings in my throat, I still have that terrible fear of getting something stuck in my throat and not for choking purposes (although that would be bad). I never choked when I got something stuck in my throat as it was too far down and passed where the air comes in and goes out. My fear with getting something stuck in my throat is in conection with having to go to the hospital and needing to get the food removed. The only time I ever needed food removed was a horrible memory.

First of all, I HATE needles and have very often passed out while having blood taken or an IV started. I was once told that there's actually a medical term/condition for why it happens to me. Any way, they had to start an IV (which I passed out for) and they tried to give me medicine to open my throat up and hopefully the food would pass...No go. While they were giving the medicine, I was obviously holding my arm the wrong way and instead of the medicine going into my vein, my blood was coming out into the tubing. Yup, you guessed it, I almost passed out again. They then wheeled me into a room and tried to give me some medicine to calm me down while they performed an endoscopy on me to see where the food was stuck. I threw up all over the place as my gag reflex just wasn't having any of it as my stomach turned several times. Once the doctor found it, they pushed it down and a couple years later I was back in for the same procedure. Luckily, I got the food to come up in one of the hospital bathrooms and was able to avoid going through the whole procedure again. Getting the throat stretching procedure was basically painless and fixed all my problems. I haven't gotten food stuck in my throat since then. But was told that I have food alergies and would need to get tested for those or I might eat things that would cause problems for my throat again. I have yet to go for the testing. Yeah, I'm a dummy.

I also passed out when I needed to give blood for my life insurance policy. That was fun.

I am also afraid that there is no afterlife but don't think about it as often as I used too. Thanks for bringing it up. :wacko:

-When I was younger, say 10 or 11, I remember playing in my yard and somehow pi$$ing off a underground nest of yellow jackets. I still can vividly see one of those ba$tards on my NOSE, stinging away ... :wacko:

-A couple of years later, a couple of friends and I were hanging out at one of their places and we were riding bikes around the front yard, acting stupid. I remember losing control of my bike and running into a bush - that had a bees nest. My friends still laugh at me cause I ran into this dude's house screaming my head off while getting stung and swatting them off me.

-A few more years later, I was mowing the front lawn of my family's house in north jersey. Apparently between the last time I mowed the lawn and this time, some yellow jackets (probably the same ones when I was a kid and tracked me down) had made themselves an underground nest in the lawn. Ever run over a bee's nest with a mower? Don't...

Oh and to add...I have a fear of drowning. I don't know how to swim so that makes it even worse.

Yeah after all that, I'd probably fear them too.

Wow!! Mentioning these helped nail a few on the head for me as well. You and I have already discussed the throat problems we share. Even after I had the procedure done that stretched the rings in my throat,

Can you email the information of the Doctor who performed that procedure on you to my wife ?

Edited by whomper

His name was Dr. M. Dingo

I'll do it for free.

This is called being asleep at the wheel. I carelessly leave a softball out there like that and I got my huddle cummupens. Thank you gentlemen :wacko:

Edited by whomper

FEAR SUCKS!

I cannot fly in an airplane without freaking out. When I was 10, my parents died in an airplane crash. I have only been on a plane a few times since then. I am in my 40's.

It causes some problems because I would like to travel more as certainly would my family. Last spring was the first time I flew since 911. We headed to Southern California for Disney and Newport Beach.

I had a bunch of loratab 750s from previous back issues. I chewed a couple down before the flight out of Missoula and began drinking beer the rest of the flight and at the airport. I got pretty wacked out. I normally dont drink during the day, but the family was all for it knowing how freaked out I was getting.

I had set up a playlist on my IPOD with the songs which touched me the most. I put on my sunglasses and just kinda disappeared between the music and the drugs.

It was a hell of a high, but not one I want to be tied to everytime I travel by plane.

I have always been pretty daring, but I have never gotten over the fear of flying.

I think If I was forced to travel by plane more, it would not effect me so strongly.

My 2 cents.

it's a weird one, but birds freak me out.

my first job was on a golf course and i used to have to park the golf carts under an overhang that always had a nest or two up in it. these birds did not like me coming in and out of there so they would swoop and fly over my head ... i nearly wrecked a cart once due to those crazy frickin' birds. after a big party one afternoon, a pig roast, i had the pig's head in a bag and was driving it down to the dumpster (right next to the overhang). so i'm holding this bag o' pig head out away from me as i drive the cart and sure enough, here come da birds. i'm making big turns with one hand while i tried to keep the head from hitting me or falling out. nightmare. still can't watch that hitchcock movie. birds are mean sonsabiatches when you look them in the eyes ... der's evil in dem birds.

Cockroaches... I scream like a little bitch when I see one near me.

It all stems from college when I woke up one night in the fraternity house and one was crawling on me. Absolutely despise them and I'm getting sick just thinking about it as I type this.

Can you email the information of the Doctor who performed that procedure on you to my wife ?

Not a problem. Will do when I get home and find the info. But I know for sure that his name was Dr. Wexler and his ofice is in Clark, NJ and he has his own Endoscopy/throat center where he performs all the procedures.

I'll do it for free.

Oooofff! He needed a muliigan after that statement. :wacko:

Don't know what you would call it, but I've always had a fear of eye damage, or things touching or poking my eyes. I wear glasses, and while I hate them I can not stand putting contacts in, it just freaks me out. I'd love to get laser surgery on my eyes, if only they could put me to sleep to do it, but I just don't think I could do it awake, even if I was heavily sedated. For some reason, I don't know why but I've always had a fear of getting a paper cut on my eye. It has never happened, but if paper is waving around near my face, it really bothers me. I don't freak out, or anything, but it makes me very uncomfortable.

+1

I absolutely panic whenever anything gets near my eyes, couple of stories....

I was maybe 10 or 11, working on model airplanes when I got something in my eye. I thought it might be some dried model glue or something, but I couldn't get it out and wouldn't let my mom touch my face anywhere near my eyes to see what it might actually be. So we go to the clinic, and it took 3 nurses to hold me down so they could get whatever it was out of my eye.

Another time I was working on a job site, and got a piece of dust or something in my eye. I figured I'd just let my eye tear up and that would wash out whatever it was, but no luck. So we go down to our break room where we had eyewash bottles, and the job supervisor is with me the whole time to make sure I'm OK. I open up the eyewash and get it about halfway to my eye and just froze. I just couldn't willingly pour the eyewash into my eye, so my supervisor asks if I want him to do it. I say "sure" and hand him the bottle. I tip my head back and he starts pouring the eyewash into my eye, and about halfway through he told me it would be OK if I started breathing again. :wacko: Anyways, that didn't work either so we go to the buildings health and safety department and they give me an eye cup, which is just a small container of saline that you place over your eye, and then open your eye up and move it around in there - kind of like opening your eyes underwater. Well, I actually could do the eye cup on my own, but that still didn't work, so we head down to the urgent care nearby and get me in to see a doctor. He ended up putting in some numbing eyedrops in my eye and then peeled my eyelid back and found the little speck of dirt that caused all the problems. It was lodged way back under the lid, and while it wasn't excruciatingly painful, it was pretty damn annoying. At any rate, the dirt was taken out, no damage was done to my eye, and I was able to go back to work the next day.

So yes, I tend to freak out just a bit when it comes to my eyes, or even watching stuff like that on TV.

FEAR SUCKS!

I cannot fly in an airplane without freaking out. When I was 10, my parents died in an airplane crash. I have only been on a plane a few times since then. I am in my 40's.

It causes some problems because I would like to travel more as certainly would my family. Last spring was the first time I flew since 911. We headed to Southern California for Disney and Newport Beach.

I had a bunch of loratab 750s from previous back issues. I chewed a couple down before the flight out of Missoula and began drinking beer the rest of the flight and at the airport. I got pretty wacked out. I normally dont drink during the day, but the family was all for it knowing how freaked out I was getting.

I had set up a playlist on my IPOD with the songs which touched me the most. I put on my sunglasses and just kinda disappeared between the music and the drugs.

It was a hell of a high, but not one I want to be tied to everytime I travel by plane.

I have always been pretty daring, but I have never gotten over the fear of flying.

I think If I was forced to travel by plane more, it would not effect me so strongly.

My 2 cents.

i hear ya bro. i've tried the drugs and booze and still crapped in my shorts. one thing i can say, if the plane i was in monday night stayed in the air, then i think we are pretty safe. :wacko:

+1. I did the exact same thing at about age 15 when I was mowing the yard of a rental house that had been abandoned/trashed. Bad news, my friend.

One more, now that I think about it...dying all alone. I would like to have the people I love still around with me when I go, but that may not happen.

Try growing up with your Mom & Stepdad being beekeepers. :D

The worst sting I ever had though happened last summer when I was cleaning up a pile of left over boards from after Katrina. After I was done I mowed over where the grass had grown up around it and found a bumblebee nest in the ground. One came up and popped me hard right on the temple. It felt like I was hit in the side of the head with a 2x4.

Try growing up with your Mom & Stepdad being beekeepers. :wacko:

The worst sting I ever had though happened last summer when I was cleaning up a pile of left over boards from after Katrina. After I was done I mowed over where the grass had grown up around it and found a bumblebee nest in the ground. One came up and popped me hard right on the temple. It felt like I was hit in the side of the head with a 2x4.

I had 30 hives at one time and have been stung 100s 1000s of times. Still don't like it but I don't have any arthritis or joint problems either. One of the benefits of being a beekeeper. My only fear growing up was fat girls (shiver, brrrr). My "friends" said the only way to get past it was to go on a date with one. OK. Didn't work.

I don't like heights. My brothers have climbed TV Towers to fix them and I wouldn't do that. Small planes are ok, because I'm not hanging on to a ladder.

I don't like rats. Mostly the thought of them running up the inside of my pant leg is what I don't like to think about.

Growing up on a farm, I've had to deal with both of these. Climbing up the outside of a large Silo when needed is not my idea of fun. I'd do it but wouldn't like it.

One word:

Catheter. :wacko:

I had a scare not too long ago with possible kidney stone or bladder issues which turned out to be nothing I needed to worry about. You dont even want to know where the scope that had to travel through my bladder entered :D

Not a problem. Will do when I get home and find the info. But I know for sure that his name was Dr. Wexler and his ofice is in Clark, NJ and he has his own Endoscopy/throat center where he performs all the procedures.

You do realize whomp was making a heeelarious joke referencing his large peener and his wife's inability to orally accomodate him, don't you?

Or, to a possibke extent, questioning why YOU had to have your throat rings stretched, NTTAWWT. :wacko: