[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Report on Sirius - Favre retiring

peepinmofo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey CR, nice grits and shins impersonation. :wacko:

That's exactly what I thought when I first read it. Barbaro crossed my mind as well.

With the Packers coming so close to going to another Super Bowl, I thought Favre would be back for sure.

As a Bears fan, it pains me to say this, but I do have a huge amount of respect for him. There is no question he will be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Favre's ironman streak is remarkable.

Thanks for memories Brett. :wacko::D

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Is there any solid news that his retirnement decision is related to the Packers' failure to land Randy Moss? Or is it just speculation based on his comments from last offseason as well the timing of this retirment?

I heard an interview they had with Jay Glazer, and he said it is absolutely NOT true. Apparently Favre had made this decision several days ago, even before Moss resigned with NE.

Besides, Favre has tons of WR talent in Jennings, Driver, James, etc...

From JSOnline:

Tuesday, Mar 4 2008, 10:40 AM

Just days before the Packers played Seattle in the Divisional playoffs, Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre talked to Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald reporter Al Jones.

"I am trying to enjoy it because this could be my last game in Green Bay," Favre said. "(But) for the first time in three years, I haven't thought (about how) this could be my last game. I would like to continue longer."

The statement caused a huge media stir of speculation that Favre was leaning toward coming back in 2008 and even prompted a statement from Wisconsin Governor Jim Doyle.

Tuesday morning, though, Jones said Favre had a change of heart shortly after the Packers lost the NFC championship to the Giants and that he wasn't surprised the quarterback decided to call it a career.

"Actually, not really (surprised)," said Jones this morning. "My gut feeling was, back before the Super Bowl, that he was going to retire. That was the same feeling that his brother, Scott had and everybody that was close to him. But I thought there for a period after the Super Bowl that maybe he'd reconsider and that the longer he went (in mulling it over), the better the chance that he'd be coming back. Obviously, that did not unfold.

"I know he was emotionally and physically, he was drained."

Jones said he was in contact with Favre this morning and said the 38-year-old made the decision late last night and called Packers coach Mike McCarthy first.

Jones didn't think the Randy Moss situation was the main reason for Favre's ultimate decision to retire.

"I think that might be a little overblown, that situation," said Jones. "Because this was way back before the Super Bowl, he was talking about how he's physically and emotionally drained."

Favre had one of his best seasons in 2007. His completion percentage at 66.5 was the best in his 17 year career. His 13 victories matched the victories he had in 1996 and 1997.

Favre had 4,155 passing yards, third best in his career behind 4,413 in 1995 and 4,212 in 1998. He had 10 games of a passer rating of 100 or better, something he'd never done before. He had five in a row - weeks 8-12 - his longest streak in a season. His 95.7 passer rating for the season was also his third highest, behind 99.5 in 1995 and 95.8 in 1996. His 356 completions were the fourth highest of his career.

Favre had 1,042 passing yards in Weeks 8-10, the most over a three-game stretch in his 17-year career. His 15 interceptions were a season low for him since 2001. He had two long interception-free streaks: none in 142 attempts in September and October and non in 139 attempts in November. The streaks rank third and fourth longest in his career.

Jones was asked if he thought Favre might reconsider in a few months and perhaps play for another team since it was obvious he could still play at a high level.

"With him, you never know," said Jones. "You never know withhim, but at this point in time, no, he is not. I would really be surprised if he went and he did play for somebody else other than Green Bay. He loves it so much there."

I don't think anybody would be comfortable seeing Favre in a uniform besides Green Bay's. I don't think he plays again, but maybe if he gets bored after a year or so you might see him either broadcasting, or in a front office somewhere.

As a Vikings' fan, the news of Favre retiring is kinda bittersweet. The Vikes' arch-rival just lost a key player(a good thing) but the league is losing an all-time great competitor and that is a little sad (as so many of the players now are purely about the money). Despite the success he had against my favorite team, it was hard for me not to gain a lot of respect for the guy and appreciate his accomplishments.

Congrats to him on a fabulous HOF career and all the best in life after football :wacko:

Edited by Delicious_bass

I will never forget as a youngster when Staubach retired. I was 8 years old and the newspaper had a picture of him at the end of a long hallway by an exit door with a big bag over his shoulder. I was crushed. It has to feel that way for thr true pack fans but Favre gave you and football fans a tremendous career to look back on including a ring. I love the way he played the game. :wacko: to you Brett. If the Cowboys game last year was any indication of how Rodgers can play then you could be in good young hands. He was awesome that night.

FAVRE SITUATION SUDDENLY GETS WEIRD

Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2008, 11:55 a.m.

As it turns out, that dark cloud in Wisconsin could quickly become a storm.

Brett Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, has told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Favre wanted to play another year, but that he felt like the Packers didn’t want him.

Uh-oh.

“I know he wants to play one more year,” Cook said. “I do not know much conversation there was and I don’t think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don’t know that anyone tried to talk him out of it.”

Uh-oh.

“I think he wanted to play,” Cook said. ” I think he’s still got it. He knows he’s still got it. I think he felt he could play one more year. I don’t know if they told him they really wanted him to play. That’s just the feeling I got.”

Uh-oh.

Asked whether Favre could be talked into returning, Cook said, “I don’t know.”

Well, maybe the media speculation that the guy who brought Favre to Green Bay, former G.M. Ron Wolf, might be whispering to Bill Parcells about trying to get Favre to Miami is more accurate than we initially thought. Because if Favre wants to play another year and if it’s not with the Packers, then maybe it will be elsewhere.

But if Favre doesn’t play for the Packers in 2008, either because he’s playing for someone else or not playing at all, we think that there could be an enormous backlash against the team. Specifically, G.M. Ted Thompson could find himself in the crosshairs of the fans’ criticism.

Never mind the fact that Thompson has done an excellent job; the perception that he ran off Brett Favre could be the quickest ticket out of town for Thompson.

If, in the end, Thompson gets saddled with the brunt of the blame for Favre’s departure, the pressure on Thompson to leave, too, will be tremendous. And, as a practical matter, it will put him on an incredibly short leash if the team falters in 2008.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I'm not gonna start pointing fingers, especially at TT, who has done at lot to rebuild this team.

Well, maybe the media speculation that the guy who brought Favre to Green Bay, former G.M. Ron Wolf, might be whispering to Bill Parcells about trying to get Favre to Miami is more accurate than we initially thought. Because if Favre wants to play another year and if it’s not with the Packers, then maybe it will be elsewhere.

I don't think Favre would go to a team that is at least 2 years away from being a playoff contender. And wouldn't he have to be traded anyways?

But if Favre doesn’t play for the Packers in 2008, either because he’s playing for someone else or not playing at all, we think that there could be an enormous backlash against the team. Specifically, G.M. Ted Thompson could find himself in the crosshairs of the fans’ criticism.

Never mind the fact that Thompson has done an excellent job; the perception that he ran off Brett Favre could be the quickest ticket out of town for Thompson.

asinine. Thompson is the reason this team won 13 games last year.

IMO, I believe he has enjoyed the highs of a great career, but also the lows he has expierenced in his personal life.

Having overcome some of his family obstacles and still perform at such a high level, to me shows he was gifted as an athelete, but also showed his fortitude, faith, and geniune humbleness as a person. For me , he ranks up there with the greats of the game.

I will miss turning on the TV on Sunday and not catching him play, or not catching a highlight on ESPN of him playing it up on the sideline.

I hold out the hope he plays in 08...

Sounds like he was upset that the Pack did not make a play for Moss.... he would have signed a multi year extension if Moss had become a Packer...

Wrong.