[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Has anyone ever gotten concrete raised?

rocknrobn26

Our front walk has sunk about 1.5" over the last 17 years. Is it worth hiring a company that, I believe it's called "mud pumping", raises concrete or should I replace it. The concrete is in good shape no cracks (except thru the expansion joint) or spalling. Anyone?

:wacko: .....This is a joke right RR? mud pumping sounds kinda.. well,.. very ghey. :D Been around construction for a long time, but never heard of this mud pumping service.

I would be interested in some details of how they raise the pad and perhaps a cost comparison?

The old timers swear the old concrete holds up better; but for me, .. I think I would want a brand new walk .

In Wisconsin, this is done to raise sunken concrete that is otherwise in good shape ans of a relatively small area of concrete. It is certainly cheaper than replacment.

What happens id that a small hole is drilled into the concrete and the mud is "pumped" - forced - into the hole to raise the concrete to a desired level.

At least in the northern climate it works well over smaller areas. Larger area may have a higher chance of voids in the mud under the concrete which could cause cracking.

:D .....This is a joke right RR? mud pumping sounds kinda.. well,.. very ghey. :brew: Been around construction for a long time, but never heard of this mud pumping service.

I would be interested in some details of how they raise the pad and perhaps a cost comparison?

The old timers swear the old concrete holds up better; but for me, .. I think I would want a brand new walk .

No Joke.

A new walk entails a lot of man hours, labor intensive. If I could rearange the walk into something more appealing, I might consider it, but I don't want to spend $2000+ for that. And believe me $2K is prolly a low estimate, at least in this area.

Actually, I think it's called "mud jacking". They slowly pump concrete under a slab to raise it back to it's original level.. The theory is sound, but just wanted to know if anyone ever had it done. Did it work? Longevity? Cost diff.?

Talk to any of our New Orleans area Huddlers.

I mthought I was!!! :wacko::D

In Wisconsin, this is done to raise sunken concrete that is otherwise in good shape ans of a relatively small area of concrete. It is certainly cheaper than replacment.

What happens id that a small hole is drilled into the concrete and the mud is "pumped" - forced - into the hole to raise the concrete to a desired level.

At least in the northern climate it works well over smaller areas. Larger area may have a higher chance of voids in the mud under the concrete which could cause cracking.

TY, John!

My friend had this done and the results were great. It wasn't really that expensive... can't remember the exact cost, but it was far less than I thought it would be.

Ty! :wacko: That's one answer I was looking for.

Anymore......w/ prices??

The one and only case that I had ever heard of went like Big John said only they drilled a bunch of holes. They did a concrete slab that was used for parking so it was kind of big. I would say at least 10' X 15'. If I remember right it was two slabs that made up the aread but I know that they drilled a bunch of holes and pumped the concrete into the holes. In the end it turned out prett well and it did indeed raise the slabs.

As for cost. The only thing that I know for sure is that it was much cheaper than going all new.

The one and only case that I had ever heard of went like Big John said only they drilled a bunch of holes. They did a concrete slab that was used for parking so it was kind of big. I would say at least 10' X 15'. If I remember right it was two slabs that made up the aread but I know that they drilled a bunch of holes and pumped the concrete into the holes. In the end it turned out prett well and it did indeed raise the slabs.

As for cost. The only thing that I know for sure is that it was much cheaper than going all new.

TY, My Friend!

I need to do the same thing for one piece of our sidewalk between our porch and driveway. It's about a 1" lip.

Yet another Huddler in need of good advice.

Perch? Alchico? Anyone else that has knowledge of this tech?

Phenomenal timing of this thread.

Our neighborhood association went around to each home and marked sidewalk squares that had sunk and thus created a tripping hazard. Each homeowner is now required to remedy the problem. We have until May 30th.

The only option I thought I had was replacing the three squares I got flagged for (at a cost of $200/square)...i gotta take a look.

Edit: found this national franchise with some help from Google...they have an office in NJ and service the Philly area, so I'm calling them Monday:

Concrete Raising of America (CMA)

From their website:

“What will the cost be to have my concrete raised?”

Generally, concrete is either replaced or raised. National averages for replacement vary by exact area and by job, but typically range between $6.00 to $8.00 per ft2 (tear out and replace). The cost to raise existing concrete is approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of replacement (varies by area and job).

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Sorry no experiance with mud-jacking but i did do some mud wrestling in my younger days :wacko:

Never heard of it, but it sounds like it would work, at least temporarily. My only concern is it may end up being only a temporary fix, similar to filling in pot holes in a road. The reason the pot holes form is the soil beneath them is soft. I've got one pot hole on the street I live on that the developer has had to fill once a year for the past 5 year or 6 years. The problem is sometimes if you don't fix something right, you have to go back and fix it again, and again, and again. Had the developer just put the right type of base in for the soil conditions, and the load, he could have walked away from it years ago. If he'd come in and saw cut a section of the street out, added compacted flex base, when it first showed up, he'd be done with it a long time ago.

That would be my only concern with what you are talking about. Yes it probably will fix the problem temporarily, but I'd be interested in how long it would hold up. Ask who ever you are considering doing this with how well it holds up, and if they guarantee the work, and for how long. I'd even want to go see some of their work before I hired them, particularly some of their work that has been in place for a long time. Also, I'd question how attractive it is going to be with a polka-dotted section of sidewalk. If they are drilling holes in the top of your walk, you can bet that what they fill those holes with will not match what you have down right now. I guess they could then come out and rub the side walk, but they you'd have to worry about flaking.

Like I said, I've never heard of it, but it may be great, I just have a few concerns before I'd step of and do it, that doesn't mean that it isn't the best thing since sliced bread though. Just check it out and do your due diligence.

Never heard of it, but it sounds like it would work, at least temporarily. My only concern is it may end up being only a temporary fix, similar to filling in pot holes in a road. The reason the pot holes form is the soil beneath them is soft. I've got one pot hole on the street I live on that the developer has had to fill once a year for the past 5 year or 6 years. The problem is sometimes if you don't fix something right, you have to go back and fix it again, and again, and again. Had the developer just put the right type of base in for the soil conditions, and the load, he could have walked away from it years ago. If he'd come in and saw cut a section of the street out, added compacted flex base, when it first showed up, he'd be done with it a long time ago.

That would be my only concern with what you are talking about. Yes it probably will fix the problem temporarily, but I'd be interested in how long it would hold up. Ask who ever you are considering doing this with how well it holds up, and if they guarantee the work, and for how long. I'd even want to go see some of their work before I hired them, particularly some of their work that has been in place for a long time. Also, I'd question how attractive it is going to be with a polka-dotted section of sidewalk. If they are drilling holes in the top of your walk, you can bet that what they fill those holes with will not match what you have down right now. I guess they could then come out and rub the side walk, but they you'd have to worry about flaking.

Like I said, I've never heard of it, but it may be great, I just have a few concerns before I'd step of and do it, that doesn't mean that it isn't the best thing since sliced bread though. Just check it out and do your due diligence.

Thanks, Perch. Man, if there is anyone here that knows about potholes, it's those of us from the midwest! :D Too many freeze/thaw cyles this winter, and add 80K# semis and Chicago area streets look like Yucca Flats after the blast.

It's guaranteed for 2 years, and even if I had to have it re-done every 3 years for the next 20 years, it would be cheaper than a new walk. Mind you it took 17 years for it to drop 1.5". But I hear you. great advice.

I wonder about the holes also. Not sure what diameter they are. If I just replaced the 2 slabs, the color wouldn't match anyway and even if I could find someone to do it (too small a job), I'm sure it would cost $1k min..

I'll ask to see some of his previous work. Thanks again. :wacko:

Maybe you could put a 1.5" overlay on top of it?

For a litle ole' sidewalk, sure that would work. However, if you pour new concrete over old it will not bond to the old. You have to get a special chemical agent and apply it to the existing concrete. The new concrete will not hold up and be very prone to cracking with out the stuff.

For a litle ole' sidewalk, sure that would work. However, if you pour new concrete over old it will not bond to the old. You have to get a special chemical agent and apply it to the existing concrete. The new concrete will not hold up and be very prone to cracking with out the stuff.

yep, so pour the chem and get on with it