[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Was on scene for a pretty bad accident yesterday.

ChuckB

I just left Mcdonald's and got in the car yesterday when I heard a loud crash. Looked over at the Main street and saw a pretty bad accident. An older lady in a newer Grand Marquis pulled from a turn around lane out on to Northbound Fort St. (which is a main road near my house). An elderly guy in a large Buick (Roadmaster or similar) broadsided her and completely totaled his car. People behind them just went around the accident without stopping! I drover over the grass and through a parking lot to get closer to the accident and jumped out and ran to the car. The car was smoking and the inside was filled with smoke, the whiole time I see someone trying to bust the broken windshield out form the inside, obviously to let the smoke out. They couldn't get the doors open so I pried the passenger door open to find a guy completely out of it but trying to slowly get out purely on instinct. The driver looked at me with a shocked look on his face. Normally I would never move anyone involved in an accident this serious but I was afraid the car was going to go up in flames so I grabbed the passenger under his arms and pulled him out and told another guy who had finally stopped to help to get the driver door open. They got the other door open and the elderly guy got out on his own although he was bleeding ( he was the one trying to push out the windshield with his cane). I pulled the guy out and after the other door was open the smoke cleared and stopped ( I was actually a little concerned the car was going to go up with me standing there at first). I layed the guy on his back in the middle of the street ad held his head while another guy came over and helped me. Asked the guy his name and he gave it to us, then the guy helping me asked him a couple questions like the date and the injured dude just rattled off random numbers because he was pretty out of it. The cops showed up about 10 minutes later and then the fire dept. about five minutes after that, the whole while I'm kneeling on the asphalt in shorts and flip flops holding this guys head. When the fireman showed up I asked him to take over for me because I was dying......you don't realize how much someone's head ways until you hold it for an extended period of time unassisted. I don't know how it turned out because I had to leave to pick kids up from school (since I didn't actually see what happened I didn't need to stick around), but I was wondering today how the guy was doing and I'll probably never know. I was just surprised that people that witnessed it just drove passed it without stopping to help or give the police some info :wacko:

I think I can speak for a very small minority here in saying that I've actually been IN wrecks of this kind of magnitude and it's beyond scary... can't even put into words... so, from someone that's been on the "other side", thank you.

Edited by darin3

Way to go Chuck! I'm sure you'll probably hear something from the person you got out of the car. You are a hero for doing this. Those people who drive right past need to really reevaluate their lives. The same kind of people I see at least once a week who don't even pull over for an ambulance because they're just too pressed for time. If it were them in the accident, they'd sure hope and probably even expect someone to help them as you did. You get a solid :wacko::D:D from me.

Nice gesture there Chuckie B.......very, very responsible and intelligent thing you did for those people. :D

I've seen some horrible wrecks in my days too.........and I'm amazed at how people tend to "let someone else stop". I guess they feel that their agenda on the roads is more important than to stop and see if everyone is alright. That's just plain selfish and moronic thinking.

I live in a huge city and have only been involved in one accident........and it was a doozy (it was the woman's fault).........but to quite honest, I think the only reason some people stopped was because my 8yr old son was in the vehicle. In my heart I think if it were just me in there, most would have just driven by also.

This is the world we live in.........alot only think of themselves and how their time is too important to lend a helping hand. Kudos to you for what you did. IMO, very honorable thing :wacko: .

I just cant believe a grown man would wear flip flops

Seriously though. Way to step up and take action. The world needs more people that did what you did and less people that drove by and went about theri day. Good on you ChuckB :wacko:

Good job Chuck. I am amazed at how self centered so many people are these days. I, for one, would never turn a blind eye to someone in need of help in that situation.

Which head was he holding? :wacko:

:D

That dude has changed a tire before.

Great job Chuck B. When you told the Fireman that you were dying I was thinking that maybe you were going to get an ambulance ride just for saying for that.