[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not sure how to approach this...

Cunning Runt

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else have access to the envelope between the time of the collection and the moment that you discovered it was short? Hotel Workers? Family? Friends?

My first reaction is also to be suspicious of the person who started up the collection. I would NEVER help out another Commish by taking in his collection for him without his knowledge. And I would NEVER want someone else to do it for me when I am acting as Commish.

Sorry, but the for the objctive people here without any emotional attachments to the situation, it looks bad for your above-reproach friend who started the collection.

What should you do? If I were an owner in your league, I would not hold you responsible for the missing money. But I would be beyond pissed that I paid $100 more than someone else in the league. I would definitely email the league with those options listed earlier in this thread. Or you could bluff... in the email to the league, say that you have figured out exactly who it is that shorted the league by $100 and that you will give that person until the end of the weekend to contact you about the missing money. If they do so, then it will all be kept a secret. If they don't then you will expose them at the end of this season and not allow them to return to the league.

I think everyone is responsible.

When I pay for something, I personally hand it to the person in charge. No way am I dropping $200 in some random envelope.

ding ding ding

This mystery is beneath my skills. I have employed my little gray cells and discerned much from these posts. It is clear to me that the thief is none other than....

Cunning Runt.

Who has had the most access to the envelope? Cunning Runt

Who would be beyond reproach, since he is commissioner? Cunning Runt

Ah, but you say, "unta, it was Cunning who first discovered the money missing. unta, it is Cunning who has defended the individual who started the collection. unta, it is Cunning who has brought this matter to us for help. How can Cunning be guilty?"

And I say, where best to hide a tree, but in the forest? Cunning thought to live up to his name. Sadly, for him, he did not expect to meet up with me. Cunning, now comes the time for confession. Do not insult us with your protestations of innocence!!

This mystery is beneath my skills. I have employed my little gray cells and discerned much from these posts. It is clear to me that the thief is none other than....

Cunning Runt.

Ah, but you say, "unta, it was Cunning who first discovered the money missing. unta, it is Cunning who has defended the individual who started the collection. unta, it is Cunning who has brought this matter to us for help. How can Cunning be guilty?"

And I say, where best to hide a tree, but in the forest? Cunning thought to live up to his name. Sadly, for him, he did not expect to meet up with me. Cunning, now comes the time for confession. Do not insult us with your protestations of innocence!!

But did he use the candlestick in the library? I'll bet you don't know everything, smartypants Columbo.

Cunning Runt.

Not bad, not bad at all... You're pretty fly for a white guy. :wacko:

I didn't even know the envelope was going around. I had every intention of waiting and collecting it later when I could take inventory as the money was collected. One of the other guys took it upon himself to "help me". I never saw the envelope as my entry fee consisted of paying for the website and the room at the hotel where we held the draft.

While I kind of agree with your statement, from a "how it went down" practical standpoint, I don't.

doesn't matter...your the commish, you are responsible. when one of your buddies said "I'll help you out", you should have immedaitely said "No thanks, when it comes to the league funds, I have to make sure everyone is paid in full"

Sadly, you have to eat this $100 deficit. And make sure a different system is in place next year.

When I pay for something, I personally hand it to the person in charge. No way am I dropping $200 in some random envelope. Except that one time, but it was totally awesome.

agree completely, which is why I don't think there is any way CR should eat this $100 himself. I mean, if I'm giving out cash at a draft, I am making sure the commish looks at it, writes my name on a sheet or something along with "paid - cash". here, everyone in the league took the deal lightly, everyone in the league pays for it equally. well except for the thief.

doesn't matter...your the commish, you are responsible. when one of your buddies said "I'll help you out", you should have immedaitely said "No thanks, when it comes to the league funds, I have to make sure everyone is paid in full"

Sadly, you have to eat this $100 deficit. And make sure a different system is in place next year.

I think swammi took it. :wacko:

If you read the post you quoted again, he says quite clearly this person never informed him he was doing this. He was handed an envelope full of cash and this is when he found out it was being done.

There is absolutely no reason he should eat this. The league as a whole screwed this up. Either they accept a lower payout or everybody forks over a few more bucks to make up for the missing $100.

You accepted an envelope with money in it without counting it? You got duped. Your responsible and not a very good commish.

No - The envelope was placed back in my my duffel bag to make sure I had it. Presumably by the person who started the "passing of the hat". I didn't even discover it until the next morning and that literally was the first time I knew that the envelope had been passed around. Maybe I was taking a sh-t when it was passed - I dunno, but I had no intention whatsoever of collecting the fees draft night. Like I said - to avoid exactly the type of thing that happened. I knew in advance that being in a sober state was the wisest way to accept league payments.

Tell me again how that makes me a bad commish. Just curious.

It's hard to justify killing 11 other people over $2,100.00.

Unless this is your first year commishing this league and the money collection has always been FUBAR then you have to pay it.

I honestly don't get why people think I should have to pay it - 'cause I commish when no one else wants to? I call bullsh-t.

I honestly don't get why people think I should have to pay it - 'cause I commish when no one else wants to? I call bullsh-t.

I would think at $200.00 a team, collecting and handling the money should probably be the commish's #1 job. Obviously the league is about substantially more than bragging rights.

:wacko: You can call bull$hit all you want, I just gave you my opinion.

Some decent advice already given.

And some others might need to work on reading comprehension

To me, you tell everybody right now what exactly happened and give somebody a chance to fess up.

If nobody does, lower the pay out by the $100 and tell everybody that next year all funds have to be paid to you directly so their isn't any confusion.

When I pay for something, I personally hand it to the person in charge. No way am I dropping $200 in some random envelope. Except that one time, but it was totally awesome.

I didnt want to say this because he asked us not to tell him what to do next year but Man is this spot on. There is no chance in hell that I collect league fees this way and the minute I saw that envelope going around I would have stopped it. And if I am a league member there is no way I put $ in without the comish documenting what I gave him

I am starting to see this Untateve's way.

Your story starts off simple enough: An envelope was passed. Everyone put cash in it. The next day 100$ was missing.

As you are being called to put in the 100$ your story starts getting more complicated and improbable.

First there's a mysterious "helper" who is beyond reproach.

Then we find out that the envelope was not handed to you, but put in your duffelbag.

And finally under intense questioning, you come up with the "dump" alibi, whereby you were no longer present when the whole affair went down.

When will this charade end? :wacko:

What next? Abucting aliens? :D

JK. But seriously the story as you first tell it would make you responsible (If you were handed an envelope with over 2000$ and din't count it). But with the clarifications it is clear that you are not. If it's a 12 man league that's really only an extra 8$ per person. Not really a big deal.

You have to talk to the league. If everyone was drunk or getting there someone could have made an honest mistake. No way you come home with an extra hundred in your pocket and not know it. But you could have been drunk enough not to remember why. Talk to the guys and see what comes of it. If no one fesses up, drop the payouts or get EVERYONE to ante up the differance. You should NOT pay this out of your own pocket. Being a commish is a thankless job and having to handle the money makes it even harder. If everyone spent one season in a commishes shoes, he would rarely ever complain again :wacko:

Wow, alot of people here just are not reading the details of this story. He did NOT KNOW the collection was taking place. He COULD NOT have stopped it since he didn't know about it. He didn't do anything wrong... he simply found an envelope full of money the next day that ended up being short.

My solution... tell the league that you are going to take sword and cut the envelope in half. Whoever protests is the money's true Mother. :wacko::D

Edited by Savage Beatings