[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

8 more days of smoking

jaxfactor

Got the prescription for Chantix Wednesday. Decided to start taking it today. Although you're supposed to pick a quit day 8 days after starting to take it, I decided to wait an extra day as Monday is a work day and it will be a hell of alot easier to do at work than at home. Joined a support program where they check in on you every day once you put the butts down. They say alot of people will "slip up" and light one up after quitting. They don't frown on this at all but ask that you continue to try and continue with the medication. That's good because for some reason I had shock treatment in my mind ala Steven King's "Quitters, Inc". So on 9/22 I will be a slave to the cigarettes no more! Wish me luck.

Good luck dude ... I've quit a few times, but never with success, probably because I really don't want to quit. Make sure you get all the butts out of the house by end of day seven.

:wacko:

+1 and get the ashtrays out also along w/ trash bags that may have butts in them.

Good luck my friend!

I smoked about a pack day for almost 8 years. Finally decided I really wanted to quite, which is the key to quiting for good as I "tried" several times before unsuccessfully of course. I did that lemon detox diet for 7 straight days, by day three I was more focused on wanting to eat than smoking. It was a long week but by the end of the 7 days I was completely over any extreme urge to smoke, headaches, etc. After the first week it gets much, much easier. I have not smoked for about a year and half now. This may sound a bit extreme but if you want to just dive in and get it done this is one method I recommend, it's 7 days of hell but I think it helps accelerate the process because you are somewhat detoxing at the same time.

Good luck, you will be glad you decided to do it once it's over, I have never felt better.

This may sound a bit extreme but if you want to just dive in and get it done this is one method I recommend, it's 7 days of hell but I think it helps accelerate the process because you are somewhat detoxing at the same time.

Thats what I thought the first time I quit. I went cold turkey and was off smokes for 5 years.

The second time, I used Zyban, and it was just as effective with FAR FAR less suck. Its not like nicotine replacement where likelihood of relapse is high. It's the same detox only without the hurting.

No matter what you do, desire to actually quit is the key. Nothing will work if you expect the system to do the work for you.

Hardest thing is how many different things you'll relate smoking with.

Wake up first thing in the morning...should have a cig in hand.

Cup of coffee...should have a cig in hand.

After lunch...should have a cig in hand.

Sit on the porch with the shotgun yelling at neighborhood kids...should have a cig in hand.

Hardest thing is stopping relating a cig with your various daily activities. Once I did that, it was a breeze. I didn't need no stinkin' program just an f'n heart attack will do it for ya.

Good luck :wacko:

Also ask Thews for extra encouragement.

He's already been on my case to quit. Thanks for all the kind words all! It is time and I'm going to do it. I quit for 2.5 years and started back up last summer thinking I could quit whenever. I was hooked again and it's a very very hard habit to break. When I go back to work this Tuesday(still smoking) I might heed Tim C's words and try and break my usual smoke points if I smoke at all. Thanks again all!

Good luck jax! Something you probably haven't thought about. Wash the walls in your house. The smoke buildup on them will leave the subtle scent in your nostrils, tempting you all the time. PLus you get to see the real color of the paint.

Good luck jax! Something you probably haven't thought about. Wash the walls in your house. The smoke buildup on them will leave the subtle scent in your nostrils, tempting you all the time. PLus you get to see the real color of the paint.

This is how my MIL & FIL quit......they painted their kitchen ceiling and the paint bubbled right away......then they used rags and bleach and saw all that brown chit ....they dropped their cigs that day and have been smoke free for 16 years :wacko: