[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Flu Shots

whomper

Flu Shots  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get a flu shot

• Yes I do
    • No I dont
    • Puddy
  2. 2. Do your kids get flu shots

• Yes
    • No
    • Puddys Kids

Flu shots for adults are a scam and for children they are only slightly less than a scam.

Equivalent to buying a lottery ticket against the flu.

Link ?

Well i get forced to take it...and not sure if you guys get the injection or the nasal mist, but ask for the injection the mist is horrible

Our kids doc said the mist is tough. The mist is a live virus. He said people with respiratory issues should avoid the mist.

Link ?
The one year I didn't get one I was laid up in bed for over a week with the flu. Scam or no scam I'll always get one.

Can we get some documentation on it being a scam? I'm curious to see the evidence that backs this claim.

I don't feel like looking for the link but I worked for Wyeth producing flu vaccine in the past.

In January, the CDC tries to predict what the 3 most prevalent strains will be for the coming winter (about 10-12 months ahead of time) based on what was the worst in Asia that year (the virus moves to the east).

Sometimes, they are right, usually they are wrong. Typically when a year is "bad for flu outbreaks" its because they guessed wrong

I wouldn't tell people not to get one, I just won't bother with one for myself. In the past when I did get the shot I would get the flu. Since I stopped getting the shot I have never gotten the flu. That's my anecdotal evidence.

I won't even mention what the government really puts into those injections :wacko:

Edited by Zooty

I wouldn't tell people not to get one, I just won't bother with one for myself. In the past when I did get the shot I would get the flu. Since I stopped getting the shot I have never gotten the flu. That's my anecdotal evidence.

I won't even mention what the government really puts into those injections :wacko:

This is my experience also. I haven't gotten a shot in over 10 years. I have not had the flu. Of course, I work with 150 7th graders everyday and have been exposed (and built immunity to) every disease ever known to man. I had leprosy. Just duct taped everything back on and went about my business. I was fine the next day.

Vaccines contain inactivated or weakened viruses, bacteria, or bacterial toxins. When you are injected, the disabled antigens in the vaccines cause a immune response by making antibody-producing plasma cells or T cells, depending on the antigen. Basically, the vaccine stimulates the primary response to a dummy infectious agent in our bodies. The reason your body reacts this way is because the weakened or deactivate organisms in the vaccination still possess the antigenic proteins or carbohydrates that trigger B and T cell activation but because the virus/bacteria/toxin have been seriously weakened/deactivated, they do not cause the illness associated w/them. After you receive the shot, you may feel a little weak or under the weather, this is the normal response your body makes when infected and is a sign that the shot worked. Now, instead of a 10 to 14 day period where your body needs to build up the proper B and T cells to response to the flu virus, you will already have the memory B and T cells waiting to pound if the right strain of the flu virus hits you. That being said, I never get a shot for the flu. After the 18 shots i received in the army [all at once], i tend to just power through any illness.

EDIT: Zooty, I support Wyeth Pharmaceutical. In fact, I just project managed two O/S upgrades in the UK for two LINUX servers in your development infrastructure. Small world.

Edited by cliaz

Nope. Never had one, don't think I ever will. Chances are I'm gonna get sick at some point in the winter as it is, no matter if it's the flu or not. In fact, I rarely get the flu (knock on wood). I usually just have bouts with sinus infections (some as a result of allergies).

And, since we don't have rugrats, I voted for Puddy's kids. :wacko:

A lot of people that get sick think they get the flu when really have some other sort of illness.

I have had the flu for sure one time in my life a little more than 10 years ago. I had blood work done at the hospital that I was admitted to that confirmed that it was the flu. I honestly thought that I was going to die and never have been that kind of sick ever in my life. It took at least three weeks from start to 100% gone. I never ever want to get something like that again and no way would I want one of my children to get it.

For that reason I always get my shot and my wife gets hers because she saw how sick I was. We get our kids the shot as well.

Maybe the lottery but I will take any chance to beat it.