[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone losing their jobs

Randall

I'm a Civil Engineer and I've been laid off since the end of September. New company I was working for was bought out and new owners decided not to go in the direction that my boss hired me for. I was brought in to build/run a new department. We did leave on good terms.

Had some hits from recruiters and just had an interview for a job I applied for in December so things are picking up. I'm not giving up hope but it is a little scary and frustrating.

Sorry. Good luck in finding something.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Civil Engineer and I've been laid off since the end of September. New company I was working for was bought out and new owners decided not to go in the direction that my boss hired me for. I was brought in to build/run a new department. We did leave on good terms.

Had some hits from recruiters and just had an interview for a job I applied for in December so things are picking up. I'm not giving up hope but it is a little scary and frustrating.

Same here, but I haven't been able to work since september. Good luck.

I just barely survived another round of layoffs at my company this month. I was on the chopping block, but at the same time that we did the layoffs, we also reorganized. The person who is now my new boss due to the reorganization fought for my job and single-handedly kept me employed.

We won't truly know the scope of all of this until the unemployment figures start to roll in. I know some people are getting reduced hours, therefore qualifying for partial unemployment. All of these factors, once gathered into one big lump of crap, will make this country realize what a horrible administration we had in place for 8 years. I don't particularly agree with President Obama, but it's his job and there is no option for him to fail. This country is dependent upon him to get us out of this mess. Like it or not.

We won't truly know the scope of all of this until the unemployment figures start to roll in. I know some people are getting reduced hours, therefore qualifying for partial unemployment. All of these factors, once gathered into one big lump of crap, will make this country realize what a horrible administration we had in place for 8 years. I don't particularly agree with President Obama, but it's his job and there is no option for him to fail. This country is dependent upon him to get us out of this mess. Like it or not.

doesnt matter if you are for or against President Obama...one thing is for sure...the wounds that need healing are wounds that will take more than 4 yrs to heal, imo

doesnt matter if you are for or against President Obama...one thing is for sure...the wounds that need healing are wounds that will take more than 4 yrs to heal, imo

+1. I don't think everyone has their head around the scale of this thing yet. It isn't really a recession nor is it a depression. It's a total reset where the floor has completely shifted. The system has shown itself to be a house of cards when driven by ever-increasing debt. Most people aren't going back to their old ways, at least not for well over a decade, IMO.

As long as my company is open I have a very secure job and although I am not making what I used to I can scratch out what I need and I am not complaining. While I dont see us going under and have outright asked my bosses on 2 seperate occasions if we are going to make it (they said yes) business is very very rough. as you know I do real estate on the side and yesterday just had a bid accepted for a couple I have been showing houses to for almost 2 years :wacko: that is certainly helping. I only do 1 maybe 2 transactions a year because it is all word of mouth with friends for me since I am part time.

I also recently got certified for bartending and tonight at 6 I have an interview with the woman that does th hiring at that country club I mentioned in my bartending thread. I told my wife that in these tough economic times I am really going to nut up and do as many jobs as I have to to take care of my family. It has cut into family time for sure and my kids (8 and 5) have literally grabbed and held on to my leg when I run out on weekends for bartending school or real estate but it needs to be done. I am friggin mentally and physically exhausted though.

In my town Kindegarten is 1/2 day so its tough for my wife to work because my little one is only in school a few hours a day. Plus my wife is still depressed over losing her mom so i just want her to get her head straight. Eventually if she can kick something in it would be a big help but right now I am carrying the ball solo.

I'm in commercial lending. We laid off 27% of our staff about 2-3 months ago. It was all employees. No management at all. We have about 6 layers of management for a company with less than 100 employees. Ridiculous :oldrolleyes:. I was spared. They gave us 5 additional PTO days instead of money for raises this year. It'll get far worse before it gets better. I doubt we survive it if it runs well into 2010 like some have said.

I do demolition hiring/contracts for a city government. I thought my job would be at risk about 6 months ago because I had little to no work coming in. However, during that time my supv had me doing relocation work of businesses. I use to do that type of work. Now demo has picked up and we just recently found out that our relocation department will be tied up relocating an entire housing project. The project is slated for demo. Hopefully that will be turned over to me rather than our Central Maintance Dept who handle our last Project demo. This time around one of my dept heads is handling things so it looks promising for me. If I get the gig it should give me some assurance of a job for at least 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. On the plus side I do have my time in to retire and draw can full benefits if need be but thats not enough to live off of. Actually I want to retire and flip houses but nows not the right time for that. I am looking into buying one or two though so as to get them at a very good price. I could rent them out until the market rebounds.

ETA: I also have my handyman business but that is slow. I do not advertise so I may consider doing that to see if things pick up.

Edited by Footballjoe

I'm in alternative energy research so we're swamped. But the place down the road that assembles Toyota transmissions in Durham just laid off 300 employees :wacko: .

I assume, based on your location, that you're not working in wind energy. Still, I'm curious. I applied for a position with a wind energy company. Acquisitions.

I'm in commercial lending. We laid off 27% of our staff about 2-3 months ago. It was all employees. No management at all. We have about 6 layers of management for a company with less than 100 employees. Ridiculous :oldrolleyes:. I was spared. They gave us 5 additional PTO days instead of money for raises this year. It'll get far worse before it gets better. I doubt we survive it if it runs well into 2010 like some have said.

Are any of your banks taking back real estate assets? If so, we need to talk. :D

I assume, based on your location, that you're not working in wind energy. Still, I'm curious. I applied for a position with a wind energy company. Acquisitions.

Nope, no wind or solar, just biomass to fuels (gas and liquid). We're finding it very difficult and, um, energy intensive (yikes). What's the point of converting biomass to fuel if it requires so much energy to do it? No worries though, we'll figure it out.

Are any of your banks taking back real estate assets? If so, we need to talk. :wacko:

I just barely survived another round of layoffs at my company this month. I was on the chopping block, but at the same time that we did the layoffs, we also reorganized. The person who is now my new boss due to the reorganization fought for my job and single-handedly kept me employed.

Sounds like you owe somebody a BJ. Open wide.... :wacko:

Nope, no wind or solar, just biomass to fuels (gas and liquid). We're finding it very difficult and, um, energy intensive (yikes). What's the point of converting biomass to fuel if it requires so much energy to do it? No worries though, we'll figure it out.

Looks like our companies at least partially have similar interests. FWIW, the whole ethanol thing is problematic right now.

Add ESPN to the list

http://deadspin.com/5141326/george-bodenhe...climate-were-in

On a serious note, good luck to all you guys that are nervously waiting to see if you are affected. To all that have felt the blow, god speed in bouncing back. I find this particular group of people here at TheHuddle a pretty cool bunch of people and I'd hate to see any of you fall on hard times.

+1. I don't think everyone has their head around the scale of this thing yet. It isn't really a recession nor is it a depression. It's a total reset where the floor has completely shifted. The system has shown itself to be a house of cards when driven by ever-increasing debt. Most people aren't going back to their old ways, at least not for well over a decade, IMO.

I hate to add on to the misery and worry in this thread, but pretty much everything I am looking at in the economy scares me. :D

+2. I'm afraid some of our worst fears will be realized before this turns around.

An odd local trend - Two months ago, people were buying guns like nuts - the shelves were bare. This month, food storage items have been flying off the shelves. A local market that specializes in bulk wheat, rice, beans, powdered milk and eggs, etc is freakin' bare. :wacko:

Anybody else seeing this type of thing?