[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's time to talk...

Pope Flick

Just saw it in IMAX today. :wacko:

I've heard mixed reviews...like they just show the 35mm on the huge screen,it's hard to follow what's going on,etc.

How does it compare to standard theater?I'm thinking about going to an IMAX theater next weekend.

thoroughly enjoyed the flick but my inner trekkie is a bit unsettled now that they are boldy going where no one has gone before ...

i thought it would have been much cooler if they used this prequel to show how the crew came together in the first place. even with the same plot line, they could have worked it so that there is only one timeline maintained. then, spock could have been waiting for kirk in the cave because the older kirk would have told him where they first met. of course, they couldn't have killed spock's mom and could not have blown up vulcan, etc., which would dampen some of the emotional impact in the movie. still, they could have added other events just as powerful. by now having a new timeline and unchartered territory, everything we loved about star trek never really happened (but luckily, somehow, all the same players were placed back in the same crew). still a great movie and a very inventive way to reenergize the franchise for a new generation ...

Edited by tonorator

Saw it tonight, and took the kids. I thought it was fantastic. I kept thinking they were gonna fix the timeline. Then I suddenly realized, nope, they're not and they were basically starting over. I still can't believe they

destroyed Vulcan!!!!

gonna be some pissed off Trekkies over that one!!

I've heard mixed reviews...like they just show the 35mm on the huge screen,it's hard to follow what's going on,etc.

How does it compare to standard theater?I'm thinking about going to an IMAX theater next weekend.

First off.. The movie was not filmed for IMAX so you are not getting the "true" IMAX experience.. However, it still blows away a regular theater. The movie and surround are still digitally enhanced so you get what is essentially a high definition picture. the screen is blown up for the IMAX screen, which is HUGE, but it is not quite exact IMAX dimentions as the IMAX theater I was in had a small bar on the top and bottom of the screen during Star Trek.. Not very noticible though unless you are looking for it.

Still a much better experience. The score was weak in my opinion but the sound effects were better served in the IMAX surround sound and I had no issues at all following the action. Make sure you sit at least half way back in the theatre.. The closer to the middle, the better.

Great movie by the way. Loved it!!

Saw it in Digital Projection. Given the choice between that an IMAX version, I'd go digital. The sharpness and detail of the movie are friggin awesome in digital. I doubt an imax version not actually shot in imax could compare.

I thought the writers did a helluva job in figuring out a way to place a new set of movies in the Star Trek genre without stepping on the toes of those that came before.

And the movie was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, too.

]I thought they did a great job of developing the characters for the go forward. Was a little unsettled by

the fact that Spock and Uhura had a romantic thing going

but got over it. Loved that they got all of the original characters involved, this was not a Kirk/Spock centric movie.

I agree with many of you that the story fizzled at the end. My hope is that now thaty they have the base they can really build on it for the next few movies!!!

• 2 weeks later...

If the first hour was a pilot for a new Trek series, I'd have a boner for the couch and a regular date with the television. I'm not even sure what it was about the rest of the movie, but pretty much from the time Kirk got jettisoned to the ice planet Hoth, I felt like the train kind of fell of the exciting rail it was riding on.

** out of 4.

Agree with the peeps that can accept the small plot holes to get them all together in the same place. But the gaping plot hole of old school Spock and new school Scotty being in the exact same location as a jettisoned new school Kirk is crap. Along with being able to teleport onto the Enterprise in midflight. Scotty just happened to have all the necessary equipment on that desolate planet 10 seconds after Spock shows him the teleporting plans from the future.

Other than that gaping hole, it was a fun movie to watch.

Agree with the peeps that can accept the small plot holes to get them all together in the same place. But the gaping plot hole of old school Spock and new school Scotty being in the exact same location as a jettisoned new school Kirk is crap. Along with being able to teleport onto the Enterprise in midflight. Scotty just happened to have all the necessary equipment on that desolate planet 10 seconds after Spock shows him the teleporting plans from the future.

Other than that gaping hole, it was a fun movie to watch.

Pfft. It's a summer movie. It had a few laughs and it was well paced. I'm clearly not a die hard Trekkie.

Is nobody bothered by the fact that Spock's

mother is killed

? Even I know she was in at least one episode in the original tv series.

Pfft. It's a summer movie. It had a few laughs and it was well paced. I'm clearly not a die hard Trekkie.

mother is killed

Nope, it opened up a hugh storyline for Spock in this timeline. Especially the

hook up with Uhura.

That was surprising, to say the least.

mother is killed

since it's a whole new timeline, what happened in the original TV series is no longer valid ...

I loved every minute of it. Tons of fun.

I totally agree. The theater audience actually applauded at the end of the movie.

The casting was spot on. I can't wait for the inevitable sequel!!

SPOILERS AHEAD

I was a TNG trekkie for the most part, but I did enjoy the original cast in the movies. I think Wrath of Kahn was one of the first "non kid" movies I saw growing up.

I agree with others here that the casting was great. I really didn't think they could have done so well going into it. Single handedly the best part of the movie. I also enjoyed getting the backstory of the Kobayashi-Maru (sp?) test. I remembered hearing about that in Kahn. Fun to see how it played out (and that Spock played a role in it (although I think that part was a prequel addition.)

On the whole, however, the movie as a whole wasn't any better than any other in the series, IMO. Perhaps is more accurate to say that it wasn't any better than the best of the series. In fact, with the role that Leonard Nemoy plays, this movie struck me as oddly similar to "Generations" with the way it tied together the original and the new cast through Shatner's role. The scene on the ice planet, and Spock's sudden and convenient arrival was too much for me. I also am getting a little tired of the time travel motif, and I thought Erik Bana's character was totally uninspiring.

I woud probably rank this one about 3rd or 4th overall in the series. The films I'd pick ahead of it would be (in no particular order)

Star Trek (the original)

Kahn

First Contact (the only meaningful TNG addition to the movies, but one of the best IMO)

On the whole, it was a fun summer movie, and I look forward to seeing this cast again. It still suffers from some of the systemic plot holes that plague the series, much like some of the worst of the 007 films. All style, little substance.

If the first hour was a pilot for a new Trek series, I'd have a boner for the couch and a regular date with the television. I'm not even sure what it was about the rest of the movie, but pretty much from the time Kirk got jettisoned to the ice planet Hoth, I felt like the train kind of fell of the exciting rail it was riding on.

** out of 4.

agreed - was never a fan of the original Star Trek but love a kick ass sci-fi flick, and unfortunately I thought it was mediocre

SPOILERS AHEAD

It started out solid enough, but seriously dragged in the middle and I thought the way they thru in Scotty and old Spock was flat out lame and just effed up the flow of the movie

Nemo didn't do much for me as the villain

I can see Trekkies digging it I guess, but otherwise a big letdown

the mrs and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked

destroying the original timeline

but was really bothered by the

ship full of officers that didn't care cadets were running the show

. Good popcorn movie. Worthy addition to the Trek series. I rank it #2 to Wrath of Kahn.

Casting for Kirk, Spock, and Bones was spot on.

Side note: has Winona Rider fallen so far to accept roles with 5 minutes of screen time? I guess so.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...