[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best and worst of time travel movies

BeeR

I'm a sucker for these things - just watched "The Time Traveller's Wife" which wasn't very good but IMO watchable.

Others I could think of offhand:

12 Monkeys - overrated but worth the watch

Terminators - first was great, 2d was too except for cheesy ending, 3d pathetic

Time Machine (orig one) - not "great" but a solid effort...I actually liked the earlier parts of the movie the best before the whole fight-the-monsters thing kicked in. (The modern one pretty much blew)

Star Trek, the one w/the whales - a little funny at times but mostly lame, like almost all the ST flicks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a classic... the Back to the Future trilogy? :wacko: Not the best movies ever, or anything, but the first one in particular was pretty cool at the time.

Hey, Back to the Future 1 is still a great movie. Seriously, I love to catch a scene or two every one of the million times its been on TBS/TNT.

groundhog day plays with the fabric of time and is one of my favorite movies.

the first terminator has to be my all time favorite time travel movie. pretty much a masterpiece with the exception of the 80's cop schtick.

the first highlander deals more with immortality, but since it spans time, it sort of qualifies. i did not like any of the movie/tv versions that followed, but the first movie (with connery) rocked.

memento was another that messed with time through a memory deficiency. very, very well done.

i also enjoyed the original time machine movie. all sci-fi fans should see this.

the butterfly effect was well done also. pretty intense stuff.

and then there are two others of my all time favs - original planet of the apes and it's a wonderful life.

groundhog day plays with the fabric of time and is one of my favorite movies.

Agree. There is no real empirical paradox, because he gets stuck in the same time loop rather than going back in time.

the first terminator has to be my all time favorite time travel movie. pretty much a masterpiece with the exception of the 80's cop schtick.

Also agree, but the time travel stuff gets pretty cloudy. In the first one, not sure how many (27?) cops were killed. In the second one, Arnold blows the crap out of the cop cars, but aside from shooting the security guard in the knee doesn't kill any cops.

How about a classic... the Back to the Future trilogy? :wacko: Not the best movies ever, or anything, but the first one in particular was pretty cool at the time.

Part 1 was awesome

Somewhere iIn Time. bit of a chick flick but I liked it and the movie theme music.

My wifes favorite movie of all time

WOW!!

I was going to suggest trying to track down the French short film "Le Jetee" which is what "12 Monkeys" is based on. I was going to say it's very creepy and is more of a dissolving of black and white stills than an actual film. Still, I didn't expect to find the entire thing posted on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RvmJan17q8

27 minutes, worth the investment IMO...