[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Very very cool gesture

i_am_the_swammi

As many of you know, we had to put our year-old puppy down a couple weeks ago. It was a heart-wrenching experience for us all, but especially tough on the kids, as it was their first puppy. In fact, we got her on the weekend of my son's 10th birthday, so he always felt it was "his" dog. He came with me into the room when they put her down, even though I told him it was going to be very tough. he said it was his dog, and he wanted to see it through. No question the toughest thing he's ever had to go through, and the hardest thing as a parent I've ever had to watch.

I recieved lots of support from fellow Huddlers in that thread, and they all were very much appreciated. I later got a PM from Whoopazz, similarly expressing his condolences, and asking if he could have a couple pictures of her. He said he likes to do portraits, and could put something together. I was very appreciative of the gesture, as I knew it would be something the kids would love to have of her.

So I am at home today with the kids, keeping them busy with various things, when the doorbell rings. Its the mailman, and he has a box for the family. We open it together, and we were all just floored at what came out: it was a gorgeaous oil painting of her in her favorite spot on our steps. My kids actually thought it was a photograph, it looks so realistic. They all yelled in delight, as she hasn't left our thoughts much, and all started asking if they could have it in their rooms :tup: We walked it around the house, and talked about where we should put it after we get it framed.

My oldest son said "Dad, the picture of her is in her favorite spot...sitting on the steps, guarding us at night (the steps lead up ot our bedrooms, and she slept there every night). Can we hang it here, so she can still watch over us?". It was a no-brainer, and we all agree its the only spot for it. We are all taking it up to the frame shop together to pick something out for it.

Whoopazz, I don't know what I was expecting, but it was nothing compared to what you sent. You'll forever have a spot in our home, for you created a beautiful memory that will be with us forever. You made four kids, a mom, and a grateful dad very happy! :wacko:

ETA: Here is a photo of the portrait...amazing

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a little misty-eyed. Very cool indeed. :tup:

+1 as I have kids and know how very difficult these situations can be on everyone! Very awesome sentiment and a beatiful painting! Kudos Whoop your work is phenomenal!! Sounds like this present will be appreciated for many years to come! Sorry for your loss Swamm but sounds like you have a great family and this hard time will pass smoothly and make you all even stronger :wacko:

+1 :wacko:

also, I missed your original thread Swammi, you're a good dad for supporting your son and letting him into to see his puppy off. Very difficult situation :tup:

Me too. Sorry for your loss Swammi and major ups to Whoopazz for that. What a great thing to do.