[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How lenient are you as far as what your kids watch

whomper

Kids and TV  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How lenient are you as far as what your kids watch on TV

• Age appropriate - no exceptions
    • Age appropriate that sometimes pushes the envelope
    • They can watch whatever they want
    • They can only watch Puddy

The glee thread got me thinking. What are your thoughts as far as what you allow your kids to watch on TV ? Strictly age appropriate ? Push the envelope a little here and there ? How do you approach what your kids view on TV ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted age appropriate that sometimes pushes the envelope. I'm not too worried about language, as I'm sure they hear everything at school anyway. So, if it has inappropriate language that really doesn't bother me. I'm a lot more strict when it comes to subject matter and have a zero tolerance stance when it comes to any type of nudity.

I voted age appropriate - no exceptions. We even switch the channel during prime time when inappropriate commercials come on. The oldest, 11, we've watched a few PG movies with but never something that we have not already seen. Sexual content is completely out of the question.

ETA: same goes for music.

Edited by rajncajn

I voted age appropriate that sometimes pushes.

My toy TV watching age kids are 6 and almost 4.

So, basically it is PBS shows and cartoons. Have put the kabosh on Spongebob for a while as it led to a lot of butt and poop type talk. They do watch Phineas and Ferb, Scooby Doo, Transformers and whatever is on PBS like Super Why and Dinosaur Train, etc.

We let them watch some shows with us like So You Think you Can Dance and Biggest Loser, but won't let them watch shows like CSI or Criminal Minds with us.

So, basically it is PBS shows and cartoons. Have put the kabosh on Spongebob for a while as it led to a lot of butt and poop type talk. They do watch Phineas and Ferb, Scooby Doo, Transformers and whatever is on PBS like Super Why and Dinosaur Train, etc.

We let them watch some shows with us like So You Think you Can Dance and Biggest Loser, but won't let them watch shows like CSI or Criminal Minds with us.

Pretty much the same here. We'll let them watch Idol, AFV, Wipeout & things like that, but regular prime time programming we don't even bother with.

Edited by rajncajn

Mine can watch whatever they want. I think that's only fair for two people in their mid-twenties.

Good lawd, I didn't realize you were that old *cough* I mean experienced, yea meant to say that. :tup:

I'm sure my wife will be super strict, but I'll probably let it go with somethings more than other parents. Always seemed kind of funny with Americans how we are so serious about nudity but kids can watch and play violent games without it really being a big deal. Not really judging, just seems strange that there is such a contrast to other countries where they have partial nudity on commercials but violence is on much later at night. :wacko:

Good lawd, I didn't realize you were that old *cough* I mean experienced, yea meant to say that. :tup:

I'm sure my wife will be super strict, but I'll probably let it go with somethings more than other parents. Always seemed kind of funny with Americans how we are so serious about nudity but kids can watch and play violent games without it really being a big deal. Not really judging, just seems strange that there is such a contrast to other countries where they have partial nudity on commercials but violence is on much later at night. :wacko:

My kids(9&12) have a PS3 and a Wii. They may log an hour a week at most in gaming, and none of their games are violent. I'll let them watch mild violence on TV, but they don't get to watch anything that is graphic.

We have kids that are ages 6, 12, and 14.

The 12 and the 14 year olds can pretty much watch what they want now. They are good girls and don't really seek out anything bad. But sometimes they want to watch stuff that is definitely not appropriate for the 6 year old (like Glee in all of its homosexual glory). Sometimes this creates conflict because all of the kids seem to want to be in the same room as Mom & Dad all of the time. So sometimes we just have to split up into different rooms for an hour or so. Not too big of a deal really. Just some whining early on as we figure out who gets to watch what in which room.

I dont let them watch anything that isnt appropriate. No exceptions.

Refreshing.

I feel sorry for parents today about this as so much of what's on TV nowdays is not only just utter crap, but inappropriate if not outright in the sewer. Y'alls job is tougher than ever.

Phineas and Ferb can be pretty obnoxious too.

But I like it. :wacko:

Some of the Batman and Superman cartoons are a wee bit violent. But my kids let me watch them anyways.

Batman: Brave and the Bold is a bit campy but fun

Young Justice: Probably meant for slightly older, but my kids like it and so do I

Transformers Prime: Same as Young Justice, but my 6 year old is into anything Transformers

Transformers Gen 1 - It's fun watching the episodes I grew up with and now watching them with my kids

I have come to readily admit that the best part about having kids is that I can watch cartoons and not feel as dorky as I would without kids as the excuse.

I would imagine that having someone else make the decisions as to what your children should or should not be watching (e.g. the television rating system) is kind of a cop out. I would think that the parent would know the children best and make decisions about what is age appropriate for them.

As usual, just dropping my uninformed $0.02.

I would imagine that having someone else make the decisions as to what your children should or should not be watching (e.g. the television rating system) is kind of a cop out. I would think that the parent would know the children best and make decisions about what is age appropriate for them.

As usual, just dropping my uninformed $0.02.

well in order to do that responsibly, you'd have to spend time watching at least a full episode or two of all manner of insipid crap, by yourself, before you could decide whether it was appropriate for your kid or not. I'm more than ok with outsourcing the first-pass cull on that job, and having some sort of up front indicator as far as what to expect. I can't see how that's a bad thing.

I voted strict, no exceptions.

If there's something to watch on TV, it's either a movie (Star Wars I-IV is about as risque as we get; our oldest is 11.5yrs old) or an educational show (Mythbusters, misc. discovery or history channel, etc.) or 'family entertainment' (i.e., American Idol). To much bumping and grinding and quasi-fondling on "So You Think You Can Dance" for me to feel comfortable with my mush-for-brains kids. We also change the channels during commercials or previews I don't like.

That said, the only time we watch TV is when we're visiting my parents as we don't have an "idiot box" in our house that does anything other than stay hooked up to the DVD player.

We have parental controls with passwords built in for any kind of TV/netflix/movie/computer in the house that you have to enter to access any channel/show not rated "G".

We make the decisions on what is age appropriate, but is a helluva lot more restrictive than other kids in the area.

What I love about my comcast on demand stuff is that they have all the old school 1969-1970 original scooby doo cartoons that my kids love. Plus my 10 year old son loves shows like mythbusters, Bill Nye the Science Guy, How its Made and other educational shows. That helps quite a bit.